Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

Airline scared me with 6 month passport requirement, no evidence of it

Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I am going to cancun in august. my passport expires in january. when i called to get seat assignments, the woman at US Air told me if my passport expires in less than 6 months, i can't go to mexico, and i should get en expedited renewal.

i checked the rules and there is no mention from mexico about this 6 month requirement, which some countries do have. i called US Air back, and spoke to someone else, and they said i will have no problem.

it seems i SHOULDN'T have a problem, but a worried i am either misreading something, or maybe the check-in agent will have the same opinion as the first phone rep and won't let me check in. thoughts?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:33 pm

Programs: PR Premier Elite
If you are a US Citizen flying to/from Mexico, your US Passport must be valid on the day of the flight. It wouldn't matter if it expires the day after the flight. The woman on the phone was wrong.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: American, United, Mexicana, Continental
There are 6-month regulations, I'm recalling - but not often enforced. You'll have to comply with the airline requirements, though - because if it takes you to Mexico and Mexico, for some strange reason refuses admittance the airline will be required to pay for your return to the USA. You have time to get a new passport, if you want to eliminate the concern.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
IATA, which is the authoritative source of documentation requirements required by each country, states that for a U.S. passport holder arriving into Mexico from the U.S.:

"Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival."

No mention is made of a six month validity requirement in this case.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 6:34 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
IATA, which is the authoritative source of documentation requirements required by each country, states that for a U.S. passport holder arriving into Mexico from the U.S.:

"Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival."

No mention is made of a six month validity requirement in this case.
The six-month passport validity requirement is a derivative of the fact that Mexican authorities grant US citizens a 180-day stay on arrival.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.