Wiki Posts
Search

Easy way from Cabo airport to hotels

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles
Easy way from Cabo airport to hotels

I'm not sure where I would stay yet but what is the cheapest way from the airport to Cabo San Lucas and or the resorts @ San Jose de Cabo? I'd prefer not to rent a car.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 8:54 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Then you are in trouble my friend. Taxis are really "expensivouuuu", so your safest bet is a shared shuttle (taxi) from the airport authorized ones. They will be droping people in other hotels starting at San Jose and finishing at San Lucas. I always rent a car, onless I go to an all inclusive like Riu, because I stay at the hotel and never leave enjoying food and beberage. they pick me and drop me off at apt. On their own Vans
Old May 8, 2011, 9:15 pm

there are buses but since it is latin america, i wouldn't assume that they run on a reliable schedule. if you are going to stay anywhere other than the resorts actually in Cabo San Lucas, i would recommend an all inclusive or a resort that has shuttle service to Cabo and/or San Jose or else you'll be stranded and have to use the bus or take taxis to get anywhere else. if you don't plan to leave the resort that you can probably get by without a car.
Old May 18, 2011, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Plenty of reliable shuttle services at the airport. The taxi mafia is strong there and some hotels are only able to receive guests at the hotel via shuttle but you cannot return the same way. You must book in advance

When we were at the Hilton last month, I recall this outfit dropping off guests.

http://www.cabosanlucastours.net/Airport-Shuttle.htm
Old Jun 6, 2011, 1:49 am

Programs: DL-Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive Selection;
Originally Posted by kcmh
I'm not sure where I would stay yet but what is the cheapest way from the airport to Cabo San Lucas and or the resorts @ San Jose de Cabo? I'd prefer not to rent a car.
Honestly you will probably wish you had a car in Cabo! The area is very widespread and unless you want to stay at your resort, you will want a car to explore North to San Jose del Cabo and around the coastline south of Cabo which is beautiful!

I am one of the crazy people who do rent cars in Cabo - have done so every year for several years and have never had a problem...and we are females traveling alone! Just get the insurance - it is mandatory there anyway and just budget for the total to be twice the amount you would pay in the US. Get a jeep or convertible but get the AC - it's hotter than heck down there.

Old Jun 6, 2011, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by caughp
Honestly you will probably wish you had a car in Cabo! The area is very widespread and unless you want to stay at your resort, you will want a car to explore North to San Jose del Cabo and around the coastline south of Cabo which is beautiful!
If you wish to explore the area south of Cabo, the vehicle that you will need is a boat, rather than a car, as you will be in the Pacific Ocean. Which is not to say that it isn't thoroughly worth exploring. The last time I was in this area, I met a 125 pound Marlin and two Dorado in the 25-30 pound range. And the Dorado joined me for dinner that evening.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:21 am

Programs: Los Cabos Airport
To be honest there are pro's and con's to having a car in Los Cabos vs. taking taxies or vans. Once you leave Los Cabos Airport there are a few options and preplanning is your best option. At the airport, upon exit, you have to leave through a timeshare rental room (ugh) then through a transportation room before you are out. There are many people there that will approach you to sell a ride or shuttle. The prices will vary but remember that they are all there to make a commission. Prices quoted will be all over the place.

Cabo airport shuttles will leave every 20-40 minutes as they wait to fill up a van of 10 passengers. You'll pay anywhere from $18-$30 a person depending on where you are going. The important thing to remember is that with Cabo Airport Shuttles you will likely have 3-5 stops before your destination. So getting to your resort could take 1-2 hours because of stops. Your other option is a private transfer from Cabo airport. Depending on your group size you get a Suburban, Escalade or van, free beer, and water and go directly to your resort/destination. The price will be from $59-$150 again, depending on location.

Now ask yourself - what is the cost of my 1-2 hours in transit on "my vacation?" There is where you define value. Best bet is to look at SJDtaxi.com online before you go. Get the best price and have them waiting and ready when you arrive.

As far as renting cars in Los Cabos, you need to be ready for the crazy Mexican roads and drivers. It's not the USA and that rental car logo on your car opens you up to local scammers too. The cost to get a car all depends and there are a number of car rental agencies in the airport or, on the grounds to be transported to. Be prepared to spend a few dollars and careful with insurance and credit card coverage. Know before you go.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by loscabos
Your other option is a private transfer from Cabo airport. Depending on your group size you get a Suburban, Escalade or van, free beer, and water and go directly to your resort/destination. The price will be from $59-$150 again, depending on location.
Can you recommend a private transfer service to/from the Marquis? We're looking for reliable and reasonably priced (prefer around $100 round trip, if that's possible) for 2 people.

Also - once we're at the hotel, if we want to go into either town for a day, how much should we expect to pay for a taxi each way?

I'm weighing this type of transportation vs. renting a car, but I'd prefer the former if it's not too expensive.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 12:10 pm

We just got back from Cabo and I am so glad I didn't rent a car. The driving is not the problem and even other cars seem to be fine. The problem are the people jumping out to the road and cross it without a care about the cars. They will dress all in dark color and hide in between cars and jump out right in front of you! During the day is better, but Uber is so cheap that there is really no reason to rent a car. We were staying at the Westin and the Concierge there actually told us the best way to travel around is to take Uber.

We booked a private transfer from Cabo Shuttle Services. They were great and on time and about $30 cheaper than most other places I checked. But next time I will only book 1 way from airport to hotel (because Uber can't pickup at airport), and use Uber on the way back.
Old Feb 29, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Update. With Uber now in Los Cabos, you can take an Uber from the airport but there's a trick.

Technically speaking, Uber is not allowed to pick up passengers at the airport. However, as you exit the terminal and look to your right, you'll see an OXXO store (Mexico's 7-11) about 50 meters away. You can walk to the OXXO store and book an Uber to pick you up there.

Cost for the Uber should be somewhere in the vicinity of 550-700 pesos, depending upon the usual Uber factors.
cesco.g likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.