Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Mexico
Reload this Page >

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Old Apr 24, 2014, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Please edit or add information to this wiki as necessary.

Note: international arrivals into MEX ordinarily requires immigration (migracin) recovering bags and customs (aduana). If you are connecting to another flight, this means checking bags etc. at the connecting airline's counter. Be sure to allow sufficient time for all this, including the possibility you may have to take the APM across the airport to the othe terminal.

Aerotrn / Air Train: The airside elevated APM (Automated People Mover) Aerotrn requires same-day boarding passes or proof of flight between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. It consists of two to four cars, 25 passenger (with baggage and hand carry) capacity per train, travels at 28 MPH / 45 kph over the 1.9 mi / 3 km range. Time en route is 4:40, dwell time in each terminal is 60 seconds, time between trains is 10:45.

Landside red shuttle busses operate 05:00 (am) to 01:00 (am), also used during Aerotrn breakdowns, are labeled ""Transportacin entre Terminales"; the stops are at entrance No. 6 of Terminal 1 and entrance No. 4 of Terminal 2. They are air conditioned, have luggage spaces and are wheelchair-accessible.

MEX airport map

CHeck with your airline or alliance for lounges and locations. The American Express lounges are now:

Originally Posted by flugvergnugen

The Amex lounges that currently operate at MEX are:
T1 International - F1 landside
T1 National - 17 and 18
T2 - airside mezzanine level
Print Wikipost

MEX Connection Times and Information international - domestic master thread

Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by rene86mx
Intl to Intl. Arrive Pass Customs. Send your bag at the connections band. You'll need to pass security again
Yes, after baggage claim you can drop off your bags

Been there with similar connection times. My bag didn't make the connection even with the Priority tag.

Your connection might tighten depending on: taxi time (a lot recently, I waited this Sunday 40 min for parking and 30 min 2 weeks ago), Customs (can get crowded)
Thanks! FT doesn't have much current info on this, nor on AM.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I'd like some T-2/T-2 Int'l/Int'l connection clarification if possible. (AM/AM). I've flown T2 only once as O/D, but never transit.

(1) Do the Mexico forms provide for a transit option?
(2) Assuming AM tags my bags through (all on same ticket), is there an AM connecting flight baggage drop off just past aduana? Or must one go to the general check-in counters? (Tight connection on the return - it is a valid AM T2-T2 MCT, but in the exception to the normal rule bunch - 111 mins.)
Quoting myself,
(1) No. I just wrote Transito for my Mexico address. The immigration officer wanted to see my connecting BP.

(2) I went to the aduana station on the right - closest to my baggage carousel. After going through, she then sent me to the one to the far left when she saw I was in transit. I have no idea why. I got the green button in any event, and there were no lines. Bag re-drop is to the far right after aduana.

I would say the entire process with an 0530h arrival took 30-35 minutes to be back up through security.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would say the entire process with an 0530h arrival took 30-35 minutes to be back up through security.
With a 0700h arrival it took just about an hour, although the immigration line got even worse shortly after I got into it. About half this time was waiting for the luggage after immigration.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 7:36 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
(2) I went to the aduana station on the right - closest to my baggage carousel. After going through, she then sent me to the one to the far left when she saw I was in transit. I have no idea why.
Officers will sometimes send passengers from certain flights to different lines. My guesses: 1) there might be a higher percentage of red lights programmed for passengers coming from Central America, Colombia, Peru and the like, 2) officers might be checking on those passengers more closely. Both guesses for the same reason the drugs dogs will smell all the checked baggage coming on those flights before it's put onto the carousels. I don't know, it's just a guess. It could also be a work-balancing thing so officers can get some rest now and then.

By the way, the fact that the dogs have to smell everything before it's released to passengers is a good reason not to choose short connecting times on MEX when arriving from those countries.

Last edited by sw3; Jul 27, 2015 at 7:46 pm
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by flugvergnugen
Hasn't been the case for years; now int'l arriving pax are funneled directly to immigration.
Yes, Mexico has copied the US model - you will need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and re-check your bags. Since there is no re-check area, you'll have to take your luggage upstairs to the LH counters. And after all this you'll need to go through security to get back airside.
can someone confirm if , there is indeed a bag drop area or do I have to take the bags to the counters of the connecting airline?

I am flying AM connecting to LH , single itinerary, the thing is, it 'seems' that I can take 2 bags (central america to Mex in AM) but LH allows me 1, travelling Y with no status

SJO-MEX-FRA
Old Aug 31, 2015, 7:20 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
You'll need to take the bags to the T1 since LH leaves T1 and you're arriving T2
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: CO Gold
thanks a lot for the info, that is....another bummer
Old Sep 2, 2015, 1:28 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
You'll need to take the bags to the T1 since LH leaves T1 and you're arriving T2
Is this your own experience? When arriving in T1 (with AF) and leaving from T2 (with AM) I could drop off my bags in T1 just after customs. No need to change terminals with the bags.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 7:30 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
Originally Posted by MarLim
Is this your own experience? When arriving in T1 (with AF) and leaving from T2 (with AM) I could drop off my bags in T1 just after customs. No need to change terminals with the bags.
AF and AM are both Skyteam and have interline agreements
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AF and AM are both Skyteam and have interline agreements
Which means the bags will be tagged through, but there may not be anywhere to dump them after a required customs procedure.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: Advantage
Is a 45 minute connection in Mexico City realistic on a Monday afternoon (arriving from DFW on Aeromexico and departing same to MZT)? I already have my ticket for same.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by bobtyson
Is a 45 minute connection in Mexico City realistic on a Monday afternoon (arriving from DFW on Aeromexico and departing same to MZT)? I already have my ticket for same.
I think that is really tight and surprised it is a legal connection time; just getting through immigration and customs, even at a non-busy time, can take that long.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 3:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by bobtyson
IMO that is ultra tight. But given it's AM to AM, they'll have to accommodate you on the next flight with availability.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 8:48 pm
tol

I'm planning on meeting some friends of mine who are flying in from Munich on LH 520 at 4 am in T1. I'm arriving in T2 at 445am on AM from Las Vegas. The plan is to meet somewhere (in T2, I assume) and then get on the same flight to PVR on AM departing at 8 am. So if neither plane is late, there should be more than enough time for all of us. They have never been thorough MEX before so any info that I can give them about clearing immigration, picking up luggage, customs, rechecking luggage and then getting to T2 would be appreciated. Or do they have to drag suitcases to T2 with them?

Thanks a lot for any info.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA
AM (DL Codeshare) CUN -> MEX -> SFO transit

Hi I looked through the thread and saw the domestic to international transit procedure in T2 question asked, however no recent definitive experiences. I am looking to book tickets in economy, without status and have a 63 min connection time between flights. I would be arriving and departing on aeromexico in T2 (arrive 5:33 PM dep 6:30 PM) and had the following questions:

1) Would I have to go through immigration and have to retrieve baggage and transfer for Intl leg of journey?

2) Or Bags would be tagged to SFO from CUN check in and would only need to transfer to the appropriate gate via security?

3) Delta is letting me book this fare but seems tight, so wanted to know the wisdom from the forum on how realistic this is?

Many Thanks in advance!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.