Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2018, 8:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Gold, AMEX FHR
Originally Posted by spellbound2
Thanks all for the advice. We're going with the hotel option and will stop at Mega as suggested. Is there water rationing or is that part of butler service? We both will drink a lot of it since it looks like a hot time to go. Any other thoughts you have we appreciate to hear your ideas. Thanks again!
You will have plenty of water bottles in the room, at the beach, at the pools at the gym etc.. all free. No need to buy water at Mega.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Not only is there plenty of water but the tap water is reportedly safe to drink there (though I have not tried it). I was told by staff that they have their own water purification system on site.

Agree that taking the hotel SUV limo service is the way to go. It’s for sure over priced, but it is very nice and also, if you are staying there why not arrive in style? You can also arrange for these SUV’s to take you to dinner or to Sayulita or other outings. Highly recommend a day trip to Sayulita.
Old Jun 8, 2018, 11:39 pm

Bottled water, sunscreen and perfect sunsets are free at the St. Regis Punta Mita. And ineffective bug spray. That's about it.

Everything else costs money -- usually a lot.

But it's such an amazing place. We'll be going back as soon as possible.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:10 pm

Has anyone had success negotiating an upgrade directly with the hotel (or upgrading to a villa by some other means)? I've read several travel blog posts in which the writer says he or she did this (one was even upgraded to a two bedroom villa, but I suspect that was because she was a part of a special promotion).

I'll be taking my mom there next year around the anniversary of my dad's death so she won't be sad, and I'm using 60k Marriott points/night for a 5-night stay in May. I assume that's low season so I shouldn't have too much competition for upgrades, and I have Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador status, so I think I should have a decent chance at a regular upgrade. However I would prefer to get the villa with the private pool (since my mom would prefer that to one of the shared pools). I wonder if it will be possible to use extra points to upgrade to a suite, and then use the suite upgrade certificates to upgrade to the villa? Perhaps no one knows for sure yet since we still dont know how Marriott will handle using points for non-standard rooms. If anyone has insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by smgainey
Has anyone had success negotiating an upgrade directly with the hotel (or upgrading to a villa by some other means)? I've read several travel blog posts in which the writer says he or she did this (one was even upgraded to a two bedroom villa, but I suspect that was because she was a part of a special promotion).

I'll be taking my mom there next year around the anniversary of my dad's death so she won't be sad, and I'm using 60k Marriott points/night for a 5-night stay in May. I assume that's low season so I shouldn't have too much competition for upgrades, and I have Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador status, so I think I should have a decent chance at a regular upgrade. However I would prefer to get the villa with the private pool (since my mom would prefer that to one of the shared pools). I wonder if it will be possible to use extra points to upgrade to a suite, and then use the suite upgrade certificates to upgrade to the villa? Perhaps no one knows for sure yet since we still dont know how Marriott will handle using points for non-standard rooms. If anyone has insight I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
Ive never gotten the villa, only the step down, and thats with 3 times at the property and going through the rooms director each time... but hey you never know! Old GM used to be a lot better
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:41 pm

[QUOTE=smgainey;30102941] However I would prefer to get the villa with the private pool (since my mom would prefer that to one of the shared pools). I

If the pool is the main concern note that I've never seen the adult pool anywhere near busy.

Originally Posted by Westin
Ive never gotten the villa, only the step down, and thats with 3 times at the property and going through the rooms director each time... but hey you never know! Old GM used to be a lot better

Same. Never gotten a villa and have also tried working with the hotel.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond. SPG Plat. Marriott Plat.
[QUOTE=jdrtravel;30103041]
Originally Posted by smgainey
However I would prefer to get the villa with the private pool (since my mom would prefer that to one of the shared pools). I

If the pool is the main concern note that I've never seen the adult pool anywhere near busy.

Same. Never gotten a villa and have also tried working with the hotel.
No love haha!
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
I’ve tried as well, without success, although we typically stay for at least five nights, generally 10, and I suspect a one or two night stay would garner more success.

My experience is they’ll upgrade you to the villa for cash, if you’re interested and negotiate. For us, it wasn’t worth the not-insignificant upcharge.

As an aside, I find you end up with a great deal more privacy in some of the ocean view suites, although if a private pool is your thing, the villa is the only way.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by karenkay
As an aside, I find you end up with a great deal more privacy in some of the ocean view suites, although if a private pool is your thing, the villa is the only way.

Good point. The villas are really front and center on the beach where everyone hangs out.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I've stayed here a ton, and you aren't getting upgraded to a villa for free. And if you want to pay for it, they will ask for the difference in the rates, which is typically $1,000+/night.

Even in May upgrades are sometimes tough on longer stays, so set your expectations accordingly.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
I've stayed here a ton, and you aren't getting upgraded to a villa for free. And if you want to pay for it, they will ask for the difference in the rates, which is typically $1,000+/night.

Even in May upgrades are sometimes tough on longer stays, so set your expectations accordingly.

While I have never been upgraded to a villa for free, others have certainly reported it, so I would not rule it out.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
While I have never been upgraded to a villa for free, others have certainly reported it, so I would not rule it out.
Fair, maybe I should revise my statement to "A first time guest on a points stay can rule it out". Sorry, but theres no need to get someone's hopes up unnecessarily. The hotel is amazing and I've found they do a good job of trying to upgrade to sites, junior suites and at a minimum ocean views, but no reason for someone to get outlandish expectations and then be disappointed.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2018, 5:10 am

Thanks, everyone, for the information. I'll try working with the hotel for the best upgrade I can get using points or suite certificates. But I'll be happy with a standard room, too. 😊
Old Aug 21, 2018, 12:27 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by spgplat21

We paid a difference in that neighborhood per night to get the upgrade to the Luxury One Bedroom Villa in Jan 2018 for my birthday trip (5 nights). Here is my Expert Review, which I posted in the Luxury Hotels Forum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

It was an incredible stay and worth every penny for us. It was so incredible that we might consider paying the full freight for the Villa at some point in the future.

I doubt they ever upgrade to the One Bedroom Luxury Villa--as there are just 3 or so of those (plus a 2 bedroom and 3 bedroom version). I am Ambassador status and was a returning guest, and we still had to pay for the upgrade to the Villa.
smgainey likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 11:46 pm

FYI wanted to share that Amex Fine Hotels & Resorts is currently offering rooms for the StR Punta Mita for $350/night in October with all of the associated benefits of FH&R (upgrade, free breakfast, $100 spa credit, etc). Was happy to jump on this great deal.
smgainey and bhrubin like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.