Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by scaplan
Food wasn't cheap, but wasn't outrageous either. Breakfast is included every day, our lunches averaged ~$20 a person and dinner at FISH our average entree price was $25, and dinner at FIRE was a fixed $65 all you can eat grill. The rooms also have pretty well stocked mini bars, full wine fridges with ~12 different bottles, and a nice selection of snack food as well. They actually offered to stock our room with whatever type of snack foods we prefer.
How much did you pay per night, if you don't mind me asking.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:15 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Not at the Four Seaons in Maldives or Bora Bora

Well, for 90,000 starpoints (and that's just for standard beach bungalow, overwater is even more) or $2000 a night, I'd expect the service to be exceptional

is that the redemption rate? 90,000/pts a night? it sounds a little steep.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by PresRDC
Rooms during the Monsoon season at W Maldives can be had for as low as 800/night + tax (as low as it gets) + service charge. Yup, they add an additional 10-20% service charge to your tap). That's the lowest category. However, it is 2 stories During peak season it can go up to $1500/night + tax

Also, you'll need to take an air taxi to get from MLE to W which will run an additional 300-400 per person.

SPG50 is actually available at W Maldives. However, at a rate of $1,100/ night (rack rate $2,200), it's hardly a deal.

Originally Posted by trach500
is that the redemption rate? 90,000/pts a night? it sounds a little steep.
Yup, it starts at 90,000 points per night for the lowest category room. However, the lowest category room is on the beach (not over water) and is bi-level.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by PresRDC
our cash nights were $1150+taxes, and point nights were 90,000. the seaplane was $305/person roundtrip from MLE airport.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, SPG Lifetime Gold
What is the currency used in the Maldives? I don't imagine there's too much cash changing hands (mostly credit cards, I assume), but is it US $?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PCTraveler
What is the currency used in the Maldives? I don't imagine there's too much cash changing hands (mostly credit cards, I assume), but is it US $?
The currency used is not US dollars. They have their own currency. However, the rates that we mentioned are in US dollars = US$1500 per night.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 1:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Have you been there, Bliss?

Was trying to get an idea of what the place looked like from your photo album...
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SASfan
Have you been there, Bliss?

Was trying to get an idea of what the place looked like from your photo album...
Unfortunately, you won't be able to find photos in my album I havn't been, but I've done a lot of research about the property because I was planning on going there for the summer......actually, I still might. Unfortunately, the thing that's holding me back is that the only *A who goes there via pacific is SQ and they only have once a day service from SIN. It arrives at 9PM local time. Most of the air taxi only runs during daylight, so that will be a problem. Even if I could find an airtaxi, I don't feel good about paying $1000 and arriving there at 10-11PM. If I'm paying $1000 a night, I'm going to be there at 6AM

If I do end up going, I'll post pics. You do the same
Old Feb 2, 2008, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Why not take a day trip to Dubai, then fly Emirates to Male from there?

Will earn you UA miles, is a great city, and gets you to Male at 0740.

Here is a sample booking:

Flight Depart / Arrive Time Airport Duration / Stops Class / Aircraft
EK558 Thu07 Feb 08 02:30 Dubai International Airport (DXB) 4hr 10min
0 Stops Economy
Boeing 777-200
Thu07 Feb 08 07:40 Male International Airport (MLE)

A bit out of the way coming from the Pacific, but you could fly from SIN - DXB, tour the city, then leave at 0230 en route to MLE.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 4:05 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by scaplan
Well we got back last week from what was the overall best vacation of our lives. While I have never stayed in any other over water bungalows before, I am confident this room cannot be beat. The indoor and outdoor space seems to exceed what i've seen on some of the bora bora property sites. Only 87 rooms I believe, and they strive to never go above 75% occupancy. While the island and dock isn't huge, because of how few other guests there are, hot and cold, made to order - quite the way to start the day.

W Retreat & Spa offers loads of daily activities and excursions. Diving trips, snorkeling, all varieties of motor and hand powered boating, etc... If you ever didn't want to just relax on your gigantic private deck on the Indian Ocean with your own plunge pool, there are almost too many activities to choose from.

There are 200+ staff on the island. When we arrived there were only ~25 units occupied, so the staff:guest ratio was 4:1!! The staff are top notch, the type of personal custom service that could put Ritz and Four Seasons to shame. Never have I seen a staff so wanting to go above and beyond for their guests. The GM makes a point to greet and meet all of the guests.

It is not easy to get to the Maldives from the US (we had to fly through Germany and Dubai), so most of the guests were coming from Europe and Asia. It was well worth the near 2 days of travel to get there.

Bottom line: the level of service at this property, the facilities and the location are unbeatable if you can finesse the transportation to the Male.
I'm very pleased that you had a terrific vacation, but you've unwittingly hit the nail on the head here.

Basically, the hotel is dying on its feet because:
1) It offers an idiosyncratic experience which only appeals to Americans, and its location ensures that hardly any Americans go.
2) Room occupancy is negligible, with the hotel charging even higher rates than planned to compensate, and extras like breakfast thrown in.
3) Unlike Bora Bora, there is no spectacular mountainous island to visit: there is the hotel and its lagoon and nothing else.

So for those 28-35 year-old fashionable Americans lucky enough to visit before Starwood pull the plug, it's well worthwhile. For those of us from closer markets, whether English-speaking or not, the experience is ruined by the pretentious and vacuous "FIRE/FISH/POOP/WHATEVER" nonsense.

I live in Australia, so getting to the Maldives is easy and our culture is strongly American-influenced, but I'd go instead to Bora Bora or the Le Meridien Isle of Pines instead every time, and even if I was going to the Maldives the use of W-speak (like WHATEVER) jars so badly with those of us with British cultural influences that I'd stay at the Four Seasons instead.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 7:49 am

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Unfortunately, you won't be able to find photos in my album I havn't been, but I've done a lot of research about the property because I was planning on going there for the summer......actually, I still might. Unfortunately, the thing that's holding me back is that the only *A who goes there via pacific is SQ and they only have once a day service from SIN. It arrives at 9PM local time. Most of the air taxi only runs during daylight, so that will be a problem. Even if I could find an airtaxi, I don't feel good about paying $1000 and arriving there at 10-11PM. If I'm paying $1000 a night, I'm going to be there at 6AM

If I do end up going, I'll post pics. You do the same
From what I understand, there is a hotel right on the same island as the airport where most of the folks with off-hour flight times like yours stay, overnighting until they can catch their plane or boat to whichever place they are staying. It is, of course, more money to stay there than in Male. So, start paying the W with a day after you arrive, and use that money saved towards the airport hotel, or take an extra day and go directly to a hotel in Male and enjoy some time there before surrendering yourself to the sun and surf.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 5:14 pm

Programs: QC, QF, Avis Preferred, BW Crown Club, Priority Club
Originally Posted by d00t
Anyone have some experiences of this property? I'm about to book (pending more reviews) a 4night stay there.
Originally Posted by DCF
Unless you're American, or a gay 28-35 year old (see other posters comments on previous page) go to the St Regis or Bora Bora Nui on Bora Bora instead.
Then this property will be right up d00t's alley
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH*G, FB*G, IC *free minibar*, SLH, RC 5C-Club, LHW, and a lot of others
W Retreat Maledives

Did any platinum member ever get an upgrade at the W Retreat Maledives? If yes, what room have you booked and what room did you get?

regards
flo
Old Jul 13, 2008, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
I was considering checking out the W , since I will be in the Maldives in about a week , but they require a 3 night minumum and the rountrip air taxi runs about $400 USD

FYI : The Currency in the Maldives is the Rufiyaa.
I have been there many times and really only used the currency in Male itself and at the airport to buy a water or something like that.
I have only used 2 atm machines to withdraw money .
1 at the airport before exiting the secure baggage area and the HSBC
Bank ATM in Male .

Also if you look at the website for the W Maldives, it says it has limited participation in the SPG program , so I don't know if you get all the benefits as plat.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 2:55 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by rolov
Also if you look at the website for the W Maldives, it says it has limited participation in the SPG program , so I don't know if you get all the benefits as plat.
Hi rolov,

W Retreat and Spa Maldives is a property with villas only, hope that explains why it has limited participation in the program.

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.