Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

How Bad Do You Estimate The IT Rollout Will Be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2018, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: jspira
Marriott began the IT integration of its 3 loyalty programs on August 18 with a goal of combining them into one unified program. It told members to expect websites and apps to be inaccessible that day and problems stretched into the middle of the week. By Thursday, the dust seemed to settle although members continued to report specific issues.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:46 am
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold

Well its 10:44AM on the west coast and I still can't login to my account. I really really hopping it won't be but, for some reason, I feel like this is going to be like the rollout for healthcare.gov

Thought? Has anyone else been able to login to their accounts?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by seat38a
Well its 10:44AM on the west coast and I still can't login to my account. I really really hopping it won't be but, for some reason, I feel like this is going to be like the rollout for healthcare.gov

Thought? Has anyone else been able to login to their accounts?
No, I haven't, and I am seeing various results accessing either site from one try to the next. But I do not expect access until Sunday at the earliest. This is far from a "flip the switch" change over. With luck, management is keeping the pizza and drinks flowing so the engineers can address issues that pop up.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:28 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt. Marriott. AA. National. Avis.
I’m racking my brain trying to think of seamless IT rollouts of this scale from any company I’ve worked for or with. Things are bound to happen.
Venezuela-Miami and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:29 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The IT staff should not be rushed. Give them as much as and shield them from as much pressure as possible - and lots of snacks and pop. Champagne ready after few days no crashes.

You rather have things done as perfectly as possible at the beginning than have everything live and try to fix holes afterwards. If it takes a few days, it takes a few days. It may feel the pain on days of lost reservations - still better than weeks of bad press if you force roll out and system crashes all the time and spend even more money fixing holes left.

Worse comes to worse, restore everything to yesterday and declare the integration was a failure and will try again in another 6 months.

Last edited by yeunganson; Aug 18, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:33 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The IT staff should not be rushed. Give them as much as and shield them from as much pressure as possible - and lots of snacks and pop. Campaign ready after few days no crashes.

You rather have things done as perfectly as possible at the beginning than have everything live and try to fix holes afterwards. If it takes a few days, it takes a few days. It may feel the pain on days of lost reservations - still better than weeks of bad press if you force roll out and system crashes all the time and spend even more money fixing holes left.

Worse comes to worse, restore everything to yesterday and declare the integration was a failure and will try again in another 6 months.
Originally Posted by obunewbie17
I’m racking my brain trying to think of seamless IT rollouts of this scale from any company I’ve worked for or with. Things are bound to happen.
Sure, but how many years has this been in the works?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by seat38a
Sure, but how many years has this been in the works?
How many years do not matter. The system merge is a complicated issue with a lot of ERP implications. A 2-day conversion is considered extremely smooth in any (partial) ERP modules implementation in M&A (assuming Marriott already done the HR and financial modules).
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ERP is mostly internal and I hope they had worked a lot of that stuff out or defer a lot of it. Can't do all in one shot, right?

For those in IT and are curious, let's see what we can come up with the tasks...

Assuming they are moving SPG into Marriott, not a 3rd system, here are the things I can think of (I am sure there is a lot more):

1 - add all the SPG hotels
2 - move/merge member accounts - balances, transactions, lifetime totals <=== I guess this is not part of what will happen this weekend
3 - move all the reservations (and sync with 3rd party / GDS sources)
4 - change the hotel categories
5 - enable new program rules
6 - update the website
7 - internal system changes / user come online (some might be related to ERP)
8 - website / customers come online

I think the fact that they actually removed login this morning on the web shows that they are progressing. Of course, there will be problems. The question is how bad.

Last edited by username; Aug 18, 2018 at 3:31 pm
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
As of noon pacific, the Marriott site is up and showing my reservations and points. It wouldn't let me modify a reservation but so far the rollout is solid
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Just tried both MR & SPG and was not presented with a means to log in, but the pages were very clean and allowed searching for rooms. Earlier I got various errors and strange page layouts. I'm impressed with their progress. Hope it holds up.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Data Point as of the time of posting.

1. Marriott's website is still partially down.

2. Points have not been merged into the combined account yet.

3. New status has been updated.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
Data Point as of the time of posting.

1. Marriott's website is still partially down.

2. Points have not been merged into the combined account yet.

3. New status has been updated.
You must combine your accounts once they are ready for it. You get to choose which account will be your "going forward" account and combine the other(s) into it. You should get an email from MPG letting you know the new SPG account is ready to use and that combining can commence. Sit tight for now and keep current with FT posts about the merge.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't see the login in but at least now SPG hotels are showing up on searches and new point levels reflected for redemption - neither was true 2 hours ago. Can't book though. So, I am guessing we are progressing.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:29 pm

Programs: United
Marriot refused to accept Amex Points transfer

I have several Amex SPG cards and like clockwork amex transfers my points monthly and SPG accepts them the same day.

Until merger time.

I have confirmed with 3 separate calls to Amex they transferred as normal points from my personal card on 8/9 to partner SPG and on 8/12 for my business card.

This represents over 120k points for this month work 360,000 post conversion.

However these points did not show up in my SPG account, after several calls, and email exchanges I was told to contact a manager at SPG. The manger carol after an extended delay confirmed that on instruction from Marriott SPG would not accept the points from Amex.

It would seem this is an attempt to defer acceptance until post combination purely to avoid paying the property 3 to 1 conversion.

Anyone else have this occur. Seems like it would be systemic for anyone whose cycle closed after 8/1
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, FB Plat, EK Gold, BonvoyAmb
My SPG account is now missing 5 nights. Also not showing those recent stays in recent activity, although the total points after conversion is correct.... took screen shot of old “account” showing totals. Will see if corrected overnight.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Marriott...I can now logon but I don't see my SPG balance added. I did not link the accounts for status earlier but I did link them for conversion. I have no reservation on SPG. I don't see my YTD or lifetime total night change but the Lifetime Total points is no longer shown.

Trying to book with points got " This service is temporarily unavailable. But don't worry, we're on it. Please try again later."

SPG is back but forwards to Marriott without ability to log in...

At least there is progress...

Last edited by username; Aug 18, 2018 at 3:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.