Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:20 am
Original Poster

Marriott Suite Upgrade Policy (New)

Is there a thread about this yet? https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...pgrade-policy/
Old Aug 18, 2018, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by yerffej201
RIP Starwood. Looks like our SNAs have just become more valuable.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:12 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
RIP SPG... I have renewed ambassador last month and plan to get back to Hyatt and renew diamond hilton.
Hyatt as a back up and hilton because I got the status for years (need 10 stays to renew).
I left Hyatt after the new program (was diamond) and think that it's the best back up now regarding how things are going with marriott and their mindset.
bcm0830 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:29 pm

New T&C: RIP SPG

Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members. Based on room availability at check-in and limited to a Member’s personal guest room at no additional charge. Enhanced rooms may include rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities, rooms on Executive Floors, or suites. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property. The Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members is available at all Participating Brands except at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element and participating Vistana properties

So every GM can do what he wants. The new SPG Plat is nothing else then the old Marriott Gold. It is really bad.
eracerblue and flying_geek like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Relax, everyone: Marriott intends for new suite upgrade policy to be just like SPG's

An update for those biting at every snippet and suggestion coming down the pike:

https://onemileatatime.com/marriott-...omment-3992792

Well, I just had a chance to speak to a Marriott spokesperson about this issue, and he provided me an update.

He assured me that Marriott’s intent is to offer upgrades to the best available room at the time of check-in for the duration of the stay, including standard suites.

This was made crystal clear to me, so the claim is that Marriott’s upgrade policy will align with Starwood’s upgrade policy. It’s not that hotels can upgrade you if they want, but rather that if a standard suite is available then it’s a benefit.

They tell me that they’re working on updating the terms & conditions to reflect that this is their intent. It could take them a few days to update this, given the scale of their current project.
It seems that Marriott does intend for its suite upgrade benefit to be guaranteed based on availability--exactly like happened with SPG. It just needs to clarify that in writing.

I have confidence that Marriott does intend for the new room/suite upgrade policy to mimic that of SPG. It's just fumbled the communication about that in the interim. What actually matters is the execution in practice when the time comes.

Marriott is a big beast, and its right hand and left hand don't always seem to know what each other is doing or saying. So its communications sometimes reflect a bit of confusion. Go figure with a portfolio and undertaking as massive as this!

So everyone can relax and take a breath. Give Marriott a little time to get its "stuff" together, already.
cruisr, JBord and nequine like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Originally Posted by bhrubin
An update for those biting at every snippet and suggestion coming down the pike:

So everyone can relax and take a breath. Give Marriott a little time to get its "stuff" together, already.
2 years... is not enough time?

My feeling with Marriot and I hate this kind of mindset : we push the worst, we see the reaction, based on that we change.
They did it in the past and they continue to do it.
It's just a poor mindset (and applies to almost everything with them)
Rd3 and Miltiades like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by frenchft

My feeling with Marriot and I hate this kind of mindset : we push the worst, we see the reaction, based on that we change.
My point is that someone at Marriott probably read their terms as being equivalent to SPG's. And groupthink led everyone else at Marriott corporate to think the same thing, never realizing that some people would read it differently.

This isn't about having 2 years to get it right, though it's sure to be a case study in public relations/corporate communications on how to avoid ruffling feathers for no reason! This is about Marriott not appropriately getting the audience's reaction and Marriott not recognizing how slightly different wording might be ripped apart and interpreted differently.

So now Marriott sees the different read and interpretation and tries to correct it. And still people are crying conspiracy, when it was nothing more than a simple difference in interpretation and wording that Marriott never intended.

This is about Marriott not quite realizing how particular their SPG audience was for interpreting the description of benefits they cherish. Marriott screwed the pooch, of course, but the end result is that it quickly will be remedied. And all will be fine.

Except the conspiracy seekers will still see conspiracy when it turns out there never was a conspiracy. Just a bad read.
cruisr likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

This should be a sticky...and I'm not a big fan of stickies.
cruisr and bhrubin like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by frenchft

Oh, good. I am glad you have a new target for outrage besides Iberia.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:46 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
The site isn't finish updating yet and we're already jumping into doomsday talk. We should just wait till the site finish updating and final version of the terms and agreements out before we conclude things gotten better or change for the worse...
C17PSGR, LPCJr, Antarius and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The site isn't finish updating yet and we're already jumping into doomsday talk. We should just wait till the site finish updating and final version of the terms and agreements out before we conclude things gotten better or change for the worse...
I have the new T&C pulled up directly from the Marriott page from 2 hours ago - before the site went completely dark. There is no change in the upgrade wording from what was leaked.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
I have the new T&C pulled up directly from the Marriott page from 2 hours ago - before the site went completely dark. There is no change in the upgrade wording from what was leaked.
Once again, we remind you:

Originally Posted by yeunganson
The website update isn’t completed yet. There still will be corrections and adjustments made even after the website update is completed. Marriott has confirmed through blogger outlets and other vehicles already that the terms and condition have yet to be updated. That may take several more days.

You’ve jumped the gun for no reason. Relax. Take a breath. Let the process unfold. It will be alright.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:00 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
This tells me you got the terms and conditions while the site is updating and changing so it's equally possible that it is a draft or one of the final versions. So we should all just wait till at least the site is up and stable to say those are really final drafts.

Even if it is the official version of Day 1 launch, it can still be changed in the days and weeks ahead as we make our feedback heard.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:01 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP

The website update isn’t completed yet. There still will be corrections and adjustments made even after the website update is completed. Marriott has confirmed through blogger outlets and other vehicles already that the terms and condition have yet to be updated. That may take several more days.

You’ve jumped the gun for no reason. Relax. Take a breath. Let the process unfold. It will be alright.
Do you have any links to where Marriott confirmed this (what blogs) ?
Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP

this is clearly the new T&C https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi

Last edited by GoSh4rks; Aug 18, 2018 at 5:19 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.