Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection - London, UK [Master Thread]

St. Ermin's Hotel, Autograph Collection - London, UK [Master Thread]

Old Feb 20, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ohmark
the St. Pancras area does have its charms and readily available transportation, and might make sense for tourists who have toured London before and are looking for something different.
Walking distance to the Canal Museum!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by lexdevil
Walking distance to the Canal Museum!
It is also within walking distance of the British Museum and Camden, both of which seem especially popular with artisans and hipsters these days. Most of the millenial-types I know seem to flock to Camden or Southwark while their parents or grandparents go to St. James and Westminster.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 7:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hts
Just returned from a week at the St Ermin's and couldn't be happier with our decision! First off, I had it narrowed to St Ermins, St Pancras or the JW. After significant research, we chose St Ermins primarily based on location, as this was my girlfriend's first trip to London. This property is literally a 5-10 min walk to Buckingham Palace, St James Park, Westminster Abbey, Parliament, London Eye, 10 Downing Street, Horse Guards, Churchill War Rooms, etc., and maybe a 2-min walk to the nearest tube station (St James Park). We found the location is be absolutely ideal! Upon arrival, we received a nice upgrade to a beautiful junior suite (I'm Lifetime Plat and booked using points) and took the welcome amenity of champagne and chocolates. Although there's no concierge room of course, they do have a nightly reception with comp wine and tasty apps/desserts from 530p-630p in the lobby that we were surprisingly back in time for several nights and enjoyed immensely. The comp breakfast buffet was much better than anticipated. I didn't get a chance to look at a menu, but I'd be surprised if the buffet doesn't go for at least 15 quid per person and would've been worth every penny at that price. Hot bacon and sausages (both delish of course) with cooked to order eggs, yogurts, a variety of fresh fruit, cold cuts, cereals, delicious pastries (choc croissants, raisin cinnamon rolls, etc.). We skipped the buffet's runny scrambled eggs. ]

We purchased a 2-day bus pass and were able to easily visit both the JW as well as the St Pancras properties and while both are beautiful in their own right, I think the JW may have been a bit uppity for us and St Pancras is just out in the middle of nowhere. I was able to persuade one of the concierges to give us a quick tour of the club at St Pancras (was middle of the day, so no food was setup), and while it looked very nice, it just wouldn't have been worth it for us given its remote location.

Happy to answer any questions--two big happy thumbs up from us for St. Ermin's!!
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated. Glad you had a great trip!

Cheers.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 7:26 am
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
Yes, I believe I did share that this was her first trip to London and so having a hotel central to many of the typical tourist spots (that a 40-year old first time visitor might be interesting in visiting) was paramount. I'm not knocking the St Prancras at all--absolutely a beautifully restored property and I'm sure very appropriate for others, but if you're a typical first-time tourist to London debating between the two (as we were), I'm simply sharing my experience and recommendation for St. Ermin's based on our recent experience.

Originally Posted by ohmark
While I have no doubt your observation is true for you, and would be accurate for first time and other visitors to London whose primary interest would be typical tourist attractions, the St. Pancras area does have its charms and readily available transportation, and might make sense for tourists who have toured London before and are looking for something different. Beyond that, the hotel is Marriott's London gem, IMO.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:40 am

I'm looking to book this property with Rewards Poiints for an upcoming stay. It will be 2 adults and infant.

I'm noticing that when I search for 2+1, I'm only given the option for cash and points. However, for just two people, I can book the points only 45k per night.

Is this normal for London hotels in general, or is it just a matter of availability for the dates this far in advance?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
You should be fine with just booking for 2 people. If you look at the room description for the Queen room, it allows for 1 crib. If you have an older kid, you would need to put the right person count in your reservation as hotels in London and Europe are generally strict aboht occupancy.

One of the great things about St. Ermins is that you can do a points and cash upgrade to a junior suite, which willl fit 4 people - a rarity in London. I stayed there back in November and only put 2 adults on the reservation - it didnt matter since our 2 kids still fit under the occupancy limit.

Originally Posted by nikehair
I'm looking to book this property with Rewards Poiints for an upcoming stay. It will be 2 adults and infant.

I'm noticing that when I search for 2+1, I'm only given the option for cash and points. However, for just two people, I can book the points only 45k per night.

Is this normal for London hotels in general, or is it just a matter of availability for the dates this far in advance?

Thanks
Old May 11, 2018, 7:39 pm

Thanks for the tip. Would this apply to 3 adults and 1 child, or is it strictly kids? I see a double room available for around $500 or a suite for $600. Do you think a suite is worth $600 for three nights ($200 per night)?
Old May 20, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
We were at the St Ermins in March 2 adults and a child. I am platinum SPG and Marriott. At check in they 'upgraded' us to the smallest room you have ever seen - we actually could not get all our luggage in. So, I went to the front desk and asked for an upgrade to a bigger room or a suite. They offered me a suite upgrade for 180 euros a night on a 7 night stay. Made me angry - I know its not guarranteed in the Marriott program - but being used to it in SPG - it did not feel right. So, I declined and they gave us a larger room for free. We struggled through it for 4-5 nights of our stay until we could not take it anymore and I went back to the front desk. Luckily I got someone else who offered a suite upgrade for about 80 euros a night for the last two nights - so I took it. But, we won't be back because of the rooms.

It's a shame - the breakfast is awesome. The in house restaurant is great. The location was stellar and the staff (other than the front desk) were good as well.

My advice? If traveling their with a child and you are used to space or need it - make sure you book the room category you want ahead of time. This is not a place handing out upgrades without being paid for them.
Old May 21, 2018, 11:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update & struggle to get the right room.

Cheers.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by codesinvan
We were at the St Ermins in March 2 adults and a child. I am platinum SPG and Marriott. At check in they 'upgraded' us to the smallest room you have ever seen - we actually could not get all our luggage in. So, I went to the front desk and asked for an upgrade to a bigger room or a suite. They offered me a suite upgrade for 180 euros a night on a 7 night stay. Made me angry - I know its not guarranteed in the Marriott program - but being used to it in SPG - it did not feel right. So, I declined and they gave us a larger room for free. We struggled through it for 4-5 nights of our stay until we could not take it anymore and I went back to the front desk. Luckily I got someone else who offered a suite upgrade for about 80 euros a night for the last two nights - so I took it. But, we won't be back because of the rooms.

It's a shame - the breakfast is awesome. The in house restaurant is great. The location was stellar and the staff (other than the front desk) were good as well.

My advice? If traveling their with a child and you are used to space or need it - make sure you book the room category you want ahead of time. This is not a place handing out upgrades without being paid for them.
Do you recommend a Junior Suite? I see one with a King and Sofa bed, about $200 a night plus the points. Seems steep, but I'd rather be comfortable. Really helpful post.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
They offered me a suite upgrade for 180 euros a night on a 7 night stay.
Luckily I got someone else who offered a suite upgrade for about 80 euros a night for the last two nights - so I took it.
Why does St. Ermin's Hotel charge Euros instead of GBP (British Pounds)?

I guess that's good. 80 GBP would have been even more money.
Old May 21, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
We used the points and cash upgrade for a Junior Suite, but were upgraded to a regular Suite. Of course the regular Suite was well worth the upgrade given the amount of extra space and the nicer bathroom. We were prepared to stay in a Junior Suite though - from various reviews that I read on Tripadvisor, the size of the Junior Suites varied quite dramatically and there were some that were quite spacious (the ones facing Caxton St), while others were quite small (rooms facing the interior courtyard/driveway area). I think an example of the smaller suite can be found on the Oyster review website, but it was called an Executive suite. Hope that helps.
nikehair likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:12 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

A Family Room (2 Queens, Trundle Bed and 2 Baths) is a smart choice. I think there is one on each floor.
Old May 26, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Horace
Why does St. Ermin's Hotel charge Euros instead of GBP (British Pounds)?

I guess that's good. 80 GBP would have been even more money.
Sorry - my mistake - it was in fact GBP in the cost for the upgrades.

Not sure I would recommend the Junior Suite - it was still small - you might want to go even a category higher if traveling with kids - as mentioned by the previous poster.
Old Jun 5, 2018, 3:17 pm

Sorry - my mistake - it was in fact GBP in the cost for the upgrades.

Not sure I would recommend the Junior Suite - it was still small - you might want to go even a category higher if traveling with kids - as mentioned by the previous poster.
Ah Ok. I don't see the option to upgrade that highly online. Perhaps we'll just get a second room then. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.