Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Minneapolis Marriott City Center VS. The Depot Minneapolis

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minneapolis Marriott City Center VS. The Depot Minneapolis

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2009, 8:32 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by phoenixgck
Thanks. I plan to show my expired Gold card and ask directly "can you upgrade me to the suite?"
I wouldn't take the approach of flashing an expired card. They'll know what your current status is so trying to pass yourself off as having higher status might not sit well with the front desk staff. Since you're asking for a favor (silvers aren't entitled to upgrades) it's probably better just to ask nicely and make note that you're an "elite".
Old Oct 8, 2009, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

updates:

Dear all,
I am writing this message right from the bi-layer suite from Marriott Minneapolis city center. Actually, I received a welcome email from Laurel, the Elite Coordinator of the hotel, two days ago. It's my first time I got this kind of emails from hotel. I felt very good at that time. Then I replied politely to request an upgrade. Laurel said that they were sold out but would put me on a waitlist.
Upon arrival, the frontdesk gave a the key to the bi-layer suite. The view is great!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Premier 1K, Marriott Platinum, National Execute Elite
Originally Posted by phoenixgck
updates:

Dear all,
I am writing this message right from the bi-layer suite from Marriott Minneapolis city center. Actually, I received a welcome email from Laurel, the Elite Coordinator of the hotel, two days ago. It's my first time I got this kind of emails from hotel. I felt very good at that time. Then I replied politely to request an upgrade. Laurel said that they were sold out but would put me on a waitlist.
Upon arrival, the frontdesk gave a the key to the bi-layer suite. The view is great!
I just received the same great room overlooking Target Field and Center and a welcome email from Laurel. Great service and great location as we were going to a basketball game.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
What's the current consensus on the best option in downtown Minneapolis?

I stayed in the Depot last time. I was underwhelmed although I appreciated the historic nature. Most of the elevators were out of service because of a flood downtown so that added a lot of extra time waiting but the hotel did offer a good free buffet breakfast in the lobby as a service recovery.

The SPG properties in downtown Minneapolis don't have particularly good reviews either.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Depot enlarged the size of the full service hotel, now a Renaissance (long ago it was a Courtyard), by adding a floor on top of the more modern part of the building and getting rid of the indoor water park, but the historic part (mostly suites) remains. They seem to be converting the old train shed which was used for the skating rink and certain other functions into indoor function space, so there's lots of construction going on. AFAIK the RI part still badly needs a renovation. Moreover, with the additional rooms and event space, I'm not sure whether the garage is large enough for the property.

Personally, I like the Starwood properties, but they're all individual and somewhat quirky with advantages and disadvantages.

For the Skyway and a cool indoor pool, pick the Westin. It's very close to the light rail line from the airport, with a connection (at the USBank stadium) to St Paul.

W is located in a historic building with a historic bar and museum, plus viewing deck on top.

Ivy is LC, also built into a historic building and somewhat on the edge of downtown, near the convention center, with a skyway that's otherwise pretty useless (but it does go to a cheaper self parking facility, versus the hotel's valet garage).

LM is also in a historic building, sophisticated edgy vibe, but small rooms if you don't get a luxury suite. Heated bathroom floors, a fire pit in the courtyard, and an ice bar most winters. Not on skyway.

Aloft is close to USBank stadium (Vikings football, Ninja, X-games, etc.), stone arch bridge, Mill City Museum and farmer's market, but not really downtown and not on skyway. It's standard new built aloft with one genuine one bedroom corner suite (no guest powder room), connecting to an additional room. First come first served local (not airport) shuttle)

Midtown Sheraton is NOT downtown and IMO in a borderline sketchy neighborhood (but close to an indoor market and a local bus terminal) with insufficient parking (surface pay lot).

None of the suburban Starwoods are near the light rail line. AFAIK 4Pts is the only one with an airport shuttle (that also goes to Mall of America).
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:17 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So - do you have any Marriott recommendations MSP? Very nice summary on the SPG side/well done you, but C17 was asking about Marriott brands first & SPG second. Given you're based in MSP I'm sure your fellow FTers would appreciate your input on the Marriott MSP properties as well.

Cheers.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The Depot enlarged the size of the full service hotel, now a Renaissance (long ago it was a Courtyard), by adding a floor on top of the more modern part of the building and getting rid of the indoor water park, but the historic part (mostly suites) remains. They seem to be converting the old train shed which was used for the skating rink and certain other functions into indoor function space, so there's lots of construction going on. AFAIK the RI part still badly needs a renovation. Moreover, with the additional rooms and event space, I'm not sure whether the garage is large enough for the property.

Personally, I like the Starwood properties, but they're all individual and somewhat quirky with advantages and disadvantages.

For the Skyway and a cool indoor pool, pick the Westin. It's very close to the light rail line from the airport, with a connection (at the USBank stadium) to St Paul.

W is located in a historic building with a historic bar and museum, plus viewing deck on top.

Ivy is LC, also built into a historic building and somewhat on the edge of downtown, near the convention center, with a skyway that's otherwise pretty useless (but it does go to a cheaper self parking facility, versus the hotel's valet garage).

LM is also in a historic building, sophisticated edgy vibe, but small rooms if you don't get a luxury suite. Heated bathroom floors, a fire pit in the courtyard, and an ice bar most winters. Not on skyway.
Thanks for the great summary! At this point, I'm almost legacy program agnostic (despite my disenchantment with some hotels).

For my trip, my rate at the Westin, Ivy, and Depot are basically the same. Rates at the LM and W are significantly higher. The Westin is close to where I need to be although that 3.6 guest score is pretty bad! The construction at the Depot didn't seem to be an issue when I was there but the elevator situation was horrible ... only one elevator was functional and it was being used by housekeeping and guests so it took almost 30 minutes to get to the top floor and back after breakfast with my suitcase. That being said, I understand there had been flooding from rain in downtown MSP that had impacted the other elevators so that it was temporary. May watch to see if LM or W rates drop. The Ivy has good reviews in the SPG thread but is least convenient and doesn't seem to have much going on in the neighborhood.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 12:46 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin is located in a former bank building. Rooms and suites tend to be small. Unless there's been a recent renovation, it's the standard Westin relax furnishings/colors in rooms (green, tan, and ivory with light wood). Unfortunately there's no lounge, but the restaurant, called BANK, is very good and popular with locals, including for happy hour as well as meals.

There's no real lobby, just a hallway with the front desk and a spacious open business center. There's also no real obvious entrance; if you use valet parking, you're at the outside entrance to the restaurant and must walk around its perimeter to the front desk and hotel elevators.

To me, the Depot is the less desirable location. The Ivy is almost across the street from our concert hall with its small park that tends to host some events, such as food stands/trucks and outdoor concerts (no noise issues).
Old Jul 16, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I'm staying at the Residence Inn part of the Depot next weekend. For some reason, all downtown MSP rates are high that weekend - and some hotels are sold out. I'm using 2 Cat 5 certs and we have the kids with us - hence the desire for an RI. Is the construction there going to be a big nuisance? And is whatever is going on downtown something major that we should be aware of? (Whether to participate in or avoid...)
Old Jul 16, 2018, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, Delta Base, AA Base
<What's the current consensus on the best option in downtown Minneapolis?>
For me, I would consider The Hotel Minneapolis, which is Autograph Collection. I've stayed here a couple times, but most recently a couple years back. The reason it's been so long is that I've split my earnings over to Hilton now that I've attained LT Plt status. For a long time, the City Center Marriott was my goto hotel and I often got upgraded to the bi-level suites - but then not as much - and soft product became "worn". Note: The property which seems to price out competitively lately is the newer AC Hotel. I have not stayed there, but if the timing was right, there's no reason I would not try it at some point. For comparison, my goto for Hilton is the Doubletree Guest Suites or the new Embassy Suites.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 9:30 pm

@pinniped:

Next weekend is in about five days, roughly July 20th to 22nd? Or do you mean the following weekend?

The annual Aquatennial event stretches over about four days, ending on July 21st with fireworks on the riverfront. There will be crowds and lots of stuff going on, mostly downtown, including a parade, a 5K run, food, beer, and music. It's family friendly but not just for kids. In previous years, IIRC there were some milk carton boat races on one of the lakes and I think some acrobatic water skiing exhibitions. This is a big deal in MN, probably the biggest event of the summer (excluding the state fair in St Paul around Labor Day).There's a detailed website with info, although I haven't been able to figure out whether the pins ($5 and good for freebies and discounts) can be purchased somewhere in person.

During the same time period the X-games come to USBank (Vikings football) stadium, which is fairly close to the Depot. The first day seems to be free, but then tickets are needed for everything, including the music and even to purchase souvenirs. I don't know how big this is. Then Sunday the stadium hosts the Harley Davidson flat track races.

When I drive past the Depot, it looks like the construction currently is all in the train shed, which would be across a small parking lot from the RI. I can't see whether this surface parking lot on hotel property is still open, but there's an underground garage with self parking for the same price. My concern with the current setup would be that when they enlarged the Renaissance at the Depot greatly, they apparently didn't add parking places. Even before the new top floor was added and when there were no hotel rooms in the waterpark area, whenever the hotel hosted events in their function space, the garage would get full.

BTW, MOA has Crayola Experience now for small kids. It was there a couple years ago for a month or so and some hotels were offering promos including tickets for it at that time.

For baseball, the Twins are playing *at* Kansas City Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
I have reservations at the Renaissance downtown and also the Red Radisson. Both have pros and cons. Im leaning towards the Ren as I get breakfast as a Platinum and the rooms seem nice. Someone up thread mentioned flooding in the area. I woild imagine its subsuded now? For the 2 days in MSP i will not have a car and will use public transport, uber or walk if that makes a difference to location of the hotel.
Old Jul 16, 2018, 10:43 pm

I don't know where the flooding comments applied. There was bad flooding about an hour or two north of Minneapolis, and problems a couple hours to the south too, but AFAIK nothing downtown was affected beyond a day with very heavy rain toward the end of the pm rush hour that caused a traffic mess. I didn't see any water in the streets that went to the top of the curb, so I'd guess that a half foot in very scattered places and only for a short period of time was the limit around here.

The Radisson Red is close to the USBank/Vikings stadium but not much else and I consider it to be a boring neighborhood (next door to a big parking garage for the stadium, for example). It's good if you're going to some event at the stadium or its little patch of park, but otherwise I'd avoid the place. It's also IKEA style, suitable mostly for those who finished school within the last couple years.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 7:28 am

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
@MSPeconomist - thanks for the info. We're checking in the 21st, out the 23rd. We will google the Aquatennial - sounds like a fun weekend to be there!!

X Games has never really been my thing, but it looks like you can see a lot for $20/day so might be something we do Sunday... Kids are 11 and 14...the bike and skateboard stuff might be fun for them.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
@MSPeconomist - thanks for the info. We're checking in the 21st, out the 23rd. We will google the Aquatennial - sounds like a fun weekend to be there!!

X Games has never really been my thing, but it looks like you can see a lot for $20/day so might be something we do Sunday... Kids are 11 and 14...the bike and skateboard stuff might be fun for them.
The Depot is a great location for both.

BTW, you should be able to see the fireworks from top floor rooms/suites at the Ren and RI at the Depot that face Second Street (toward the river, also the RI's main entrance from the street). These would be the rooms that are on the other side from the construction at the Depot, which is along Washington Avenue (parallel to 2nd Street, but farther from the river, basically the big street between 2nd and 3rd). The best viewing spots would be from the Stone Arch Bridge (if they'll let people stand there this year as it needs maintenance work) or along the river in the strip of park, where the bike paths go between the river and West River Road. AFAIK the fireworks are always set off from the southern tip (where there's a pavillion in a little park) of Nicollet Island.

ADDED: Minnesota Orchestra's Sommerfest also starts this weekend, with a marathon performance on Saturday. This usually includes some shorter outdoor concerts (I haven't examined this year's schedule in detail) with food trucks, etc. The food offerings can be fun even if you don't stay for the music. Location is roughly Nicollet Mall at 11th Street, about twelve blocks from the Depot, on the opposite end of downtown near the Walker Art Gallery.

There's also outdoor opera in the courtyard of Mill City Museum. IIRC it's Carmen with some shorter daytime performances that are more family friendly. I think this is new as previous summers they've done outdoor music and drinks one night a week with a variety of music (folk, rock, country, heavy metal, etc.) and the museum staying open late on those nights.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jul 17, 2018 at 8:30 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.