Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy, Turkey [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy, Turkey [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2009, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Arrow Sheraton Istanbul Atakoy, Turkey [Master Thread]

Seeing as the other Sheraton Istanbul thread is for the Sheraton Maslak, I thought I'd start a new thread.

This must be fairly new as I didn't see this hotel a few months ago on the SPG website. The single review on Tripadvisor doesn't really say too much other than there's a free shuttle to Sultanahmet (and the airport).

According to the website, they say they're 8 min away from Ataturk, 10 min away from Sultanahmet, and 20 min from Taksim. It certainly sounds good. There's even butler service! Looks like they're southwest from Istanbul proper.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this hotel or the area? I'm just trying to decide which of the 3 Starwoods is the most convenient to a tourist jaunt.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:14 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you are mainly going to go to Sultanahmet and there is a free shuttle than it is not a bad option. It is along the water and often in the summer they have concerts and other events at the Atakoy Marina. Otherwise, that area is pretty much out of the tourist path. If the traffic is bad on the road from the hotel along the water to Sultanahmet, you could take the shuttle to the airport and then take the Metro/tram into the city. Have only seen the hotel from a distance before it opened as a Sheraton so I don't know how the inside is.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. I knew the Sheraton Maslak was pretty much a no-go but was deciding between this and the W.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Thanks. I knew the Sheraton Maslak was pretty much a no-go but was deciding between this and the W.
See the New York Times for a recent W Istanbul review.

Staying well outside the tourist areas has no appeal for me, although I understand there may be business markets Starwood is trying to serve.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 1, 2009 at 3:40 pm
Old Jun 15, 2009, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, SPG Plat
Go for the W

We stayed at the W about a month ago and really enjoyed it. You can get anywhere by cab and it is pretty cheap.

If this is the Sheraton that I think it is, it is very close to the airport and far from the tourist sites. During rush hour, and perhaps other times, it will take a long, long time to get to the city. Our flight came in around 5pm on a week day and it took us about 5-10 minutes to pass this Sheraton on the highway and a little over an hour total to get to the city. If you do the Sheraton, I think you'll spend a lot of time in vehicles getting to and returning from the city.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:24 pm

New building or rebranded?

Is this a new hotel or is it a rebranded Sheraton?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:29 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by chuck1
Is this a new hotel or is it a rebranded Sheraton?
It was formerly a Crown Plaza. Has been refurbished to a good standard, I had a super stay here a couple of months ago.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 9:05 pm

I just stayed at this hotel twice over the last few weeks.

Everyone was very friendly and the service was quite good.

As a Platinum member, I was upgraded to a large suite on the club floor. There was a 1/2 bath and large living area with big desk and small table for eating.

The bedroom had a king and the bathroom had double sinks along with a shower and seperate rain shower style shower.

The club floor was well stocked with snacks and desserts plus a full bar. In fact, you could make a meal out of it if you are a light eater.

Breakfast was fine too along with a few hot items.

The attendant offered to serve drinks and was very attentive and seemed to really care that we enjoyed our stay.

We didn't eat at the restaurant or use any of the other facilities except room service. That was very good too.

One day we used the shuttle back to the airport. It was very efficient and complimentary too.

On each stay, we received a fruit basked and bottle of wine besides the upgrade and the Platinum 500 point amenity.

This is an excellent hotel if you need to be within 15 minutes of the airport.

Especially noteworthy are the views of the ocean and all the ships. We were on the 21st floor and the 24th floor. The club lounge is on 24 as well.
Old May 31, 2010, 2:49 pm

Wondering how big/comfortable are the upgraded rooms for plats?

Will two young children fit comfortably? is there anything for them to do in the hotel? (is pool adults only?)
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:33 pm

I think what they upgraded me too would have plenty of room.
You could fit two roll away beds in the room. One in the bedroom and the other in the living area perhaps.

Not sure about the pool.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Best *Wood for a long layover?

Will have a 14 hour layover in IST - would love to trek into the historic part of Istanbul. Thinking it may be safest to get a day room at one of the Starwoods, in order to leave our bags. This Sheraton is the closest to the airport, but not in the fun area the W is. But take into account it's really just a transit hotel for us. Thus - any recommendations?

Or - is there one at/on the airport grounds? Doesn't have to be Starwood even. Mainly looking for convenience.

Thanks.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:23 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Will have a 14 hour layover in IST - would love to trek into the historic part of Istanbul. Thinking it may be safest to get a day room at one of the Starwoods, in order to leave our bags. This Sheraton is the closest to the airport, but not in the fun area the W is. But take into account it's really just a transit hotel for us. Thus - any recommendations?

Or - is there one at/on the airport grounds? Doesn't have to be Starwood even. Mainly looking for convenience.

Thanks.
I'm fairly certain there is a hotel in or connected to IST. But it is not SPG.

Found it. Istanbul International Airport Hotel.
Old Nov 21, 2010, 11:30 am

I just stayed at this property in Oct of 2010.

Plat upgrade to club junior suite. (nice room on points)

I extended my stay another night and got a 2nd welcome gift of Turkish bath products. (nice touch)

Lounge has nice view but not a complete meal. (not as good as Tel Aviv)

They have a free shuttle 2-3 times a day to the tourist areas and in the morning to the airport. A taxi will set you back about $30 USD.

There is a shopping mall across the street (you never would tell by looking at it) with stores, grocery, and a food court.

Here are some photos from my Suite:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/5615523...7625439105330/
Old Jan 5, 2011, 12:44 am

I spent two nights here in December. Normal rate for a deluxe room without breakfast in this category 4 hotel is around 150€ per night.

Arrival
From the airport:
Either you take one of the famous yellow cabs which are around 15TL or take the hotel own shuttle transfer which runs every hour between 7am and 7pm Public transport is not possible as the hotel is located of the spot.

Check-in/room and platinum recognition
Reservation was found immediately and upgrade to club room was provided as I requested a corner room beforehand and none of the suits fulfill this requirement. As amenity I was offered the classic choices and choose the 500 pts. as the receptionist did not recommend the local gift. No further recognition as welcome card or plat of fruit in the room. Instant awards are not available according to the stuff.

Room/Suite
But for curiosity I asked for a suite upgrade which was neglected because they were officially all booked. But I was able to still book 4 Club suites online. When I told him he said “Oh yes” without any sorry (I hate it when they lie). I insisted on seeing one but decided to stick to my club room as the size is nearly the same (The room has 45sqm overall which provides a very roomy feeling.) and the dividing wall is missing which gives you the full window front in one big room. As the view from top floor (24th) over the coast is very nice this is a clear advantage. Bathroom is all in marble and has separated rainfall-shower and bathtub. Toilet is separated as well.
In the room is a very comfortable standard Sheraton sweet sleeper king-size bed which faces the ocean. On the left is a working desk. Cupboards are there in sufficient amount. A very nice touch is the day bed in the corner. One could hear the neighbor in the morning and also traffic noise is there when one is listening hard. Thus it is not recommended to open the windows.
Internet speed was very good at around 9 Mb/s for down and upload via wireless.

Breakfast
I did not try the normal one but only the one in club lounge. Selection is as usual in club lounge, so not big but sufficient with a light turkish touch. Otherwise the lounge only offers very small snacks during the “Happy hour” from 4pm to 6pm. During other times only soft-drinks are available.
It is about 10 minutes from the airport by taxi but also a further 10 to 40 minutes to Sultana Hemet (old city center) depending on traffic. Thus if you only travel once a day from hotel to city it is fine as it is also a bit cheaper as others which pays of for the taxi fares. Furthermore you can enjoy very nice sunrise and view of the Marmora see in the morning. If you want to take the shuttle either to the city center or the airport booked it beforehand otherwise you might not get a seat.
Still I would not recommend this hotel for a first time visit to Istanbul. But here also the W has not the best location but much better, i.e. you still have to use taxis to reach the main sides.

Overall it was a nice experience but it is still a pure business hotel with nice lounge and rooms. Nothing if you want to take part in Istanbul life. Here fore I would choose one in Sultana Hemet, e.g. one of the best westerns.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.