Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Old Jan 9, 2006, 5:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Arrow Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Yes, I've searched..... No, I didn't get any current answers.... So here goes....

I'm going to be staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (Bangkok, Thailand) for five nights next month . I have reserved a "Grand Deluxe" room with breakfast and free internet, etc.... My questions are:

1) It says I get cocktails in the lounge in the evening. Is this the "Executive Lounge", 'cuz I haven't seen anything about any "Executive" rooms. Is "Grand Deluxe" a fancy name for the Executive floors? Do they serve appetizers during the cocktail hours?

2) If I used the "virtual" 50% off offer (using 1,000 SPG points for the stay), will I still get SPG points for the stay?

3) Is there a chance that I'll get a room upgrade if I'm only SPG Gold? What would be the next level of room (above Grand Deluxe), anyway?

4) Since it's my first time in BKK, and at the SGS, anybody have any room recommendations (which floor to ask for, which direction to face, etc.)?

Thanks All! ^
Old Jan 9, 2006, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Paella747
Yes, I've searched..... No, I didn't get any current answers.... So here goes....

I'm going to be staying at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit (Bangkok, Thailand) for five nights next month . I have reserved a "Grand Deluxe" room with breakfast and free internet, etc.... My questions are:

1) It says I get cocktails in the lounge in the evening. Is this the "Executive Lounge", 'cuz I haven't seen anything about any "Executive" rooms. Is "Grand Deluxe" a fancy name for the Executive floors? Do they serve appetizers during the cocktail hours?

2) If I used the "virtual" 50% off offer (using 1,000 SPG points for the stay), will I still get SPG points for the stay?

3) Is there a chance that I'll get a room upgrade if I'm only SPG Gold? What would be the next level of room (above Grand Deluxe), anyway?

4) Since it's my first time in BKK, and at the SGS, anybody have any room recommendations (which floor to ask for, which direction to face, etc.)?

Thanks All! ^

"1) It says I get cocktails in the lounge in the evening."

Unlike the Westin or the Royal Orchid Sheraton, the SGS does not have a dedicated Executive Lounge. Rather, the drinks are served at the Library on the second floor or at the adjacent bar. During the appointed hours you may drink as you wish.

I have not seen any appetizers, other than the usual tray of nuts that accompanies each drink.

Not having stayed at the SGS as a Gold member, I can't comment on the upgrade possibilities, but it is interesting to see how many SPG Floors are listed on the elevator button panel. It accounts for more than half the floors!

"4) Since it's my first time in BKK, and at the SGS, anybody have any room recommendations (which floor to ask for, which direction to face, etc.)?"

South facing rooms away from the street side of the hotel are quieter and sunnier than those facing the street. The SkyTrain itself, which is elevated over the street, is quiet.

Suites, if offered, are nice. The Presidential and Grand Suites are spacious and come with butler service who proffers on demand coffee/tea/cookies and other services, such as unpacking/packing, etc.

Enjoy your stay!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Wink Thank You!

Thank you Globe! I appreciate your help! I'm certainly looking forward to the trip!
Should I keep a stack of $$ to tip that butler all the time, or just wait until check out? That always throws me off in luxury hotels. I feel like I'm supposed to tip everybody for everything!
Old Jan 9, 2006, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
This is not New York. In Asia, you tip almost no one for anything.
MaxWong likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2006, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
As far as desired rooms I find rooms ending with 02(Suite) 04,06,08 overlook the pool area and most quiet,also being a bit further away from elevator.Also even as a Gold you will recieve 3 pieces of free laundry for you stay as well coffee/tea hot or iced anytime complimentry.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 4:00 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by Globehopper
I have not seen any appetizers, other than the usual tray of nuts that accompanies each drink.
That was my experience too until last week! However a couple of days ago, besides the assorted nuts/pretzels etc, they were also serving (small) plates with dimsum and prawn spring rolls etc. There were 3 assorted pieces on a plate. I did ask for a 2nd plate and there was no problem whatsoever.

The Chilean Merlot was quite nice too!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 6:16 am

I stayed at the SGS a couple of weeks ago, and as gold got upgraded to Grand Deluxe (no suite), 31st floor facing the street. No noise whatsoever from the street. I especially enjoyed the spa, and the hotel staff were generally helpful.

I think that the hotel may be understaffed a bit: on 2 occasions it took a looong time for a room service tray/trolley to be removed, and I had to call for housekeeping to make up the room when I returned one day at 3pm (after having been out all day). The street-level restaurant was nearly empty most of the time I passed by, though the lobby-level buffet restaurant had plenty of customers and was pretty good for what it did.

I don't especially like the pedestrian entrance to the hotel -- it feels as if you're coming in through a back entrance somewhere -- but the location of the hotel is very good.

Overall, though, I find that the SGS charges about the same as either the InterContinental or Grand Hyatt, but that the latter two are better places to stay based on service and location.
Old Jan 20, 2006, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AJLondon
That was my experience too until last week! However a couple of days ago, besides the assorted nuts/pretzels etc, they were also serving (small) plates with dimsum and prawn spring rolls etc. There were 3 assorted pieces on a plate. I did ask for a 2nd plate and there was no problem whatsoever.
The Chilean Merlot was quite nice too!
Well, in less than a month, I'm going to be there! Can't wait! Hope I get the dimsum!!!
I'd love to read anybody else's experience(s) with the SGS...... ^ What you like, what you don't like, etc...
Old Jan 20, 2006, 4:21 pm

Location: somewhere Cl. III / III+, with green waves and friendly holes
Programs: *wood Platinum, HH Gold, OneWorld Emerald, QF GOLD, AP Premium, Mabuhay Elite, bunch o others...
what I liked

Breakfast!
The SGS has the BEST IMHO Breakkie Buffet going. expecially the exotic fruit jams...
The pool is cool too, no good for laps, but wonderful to hang out, etc... see the pics on their website.
Have fun...
Old Jan 20, 2006, 6:19 pm

Sgs

Not sure if anyone answered your question about recieving credit using the SPG 50 cert. This is a valid rate and you should be recieving both stay, night and Starpoint credit while using this rate. Some hotels think of it as a discounted rate and do not credit member's accounts.

Hope you enjoy your trip! ^
Old Jan 20, 2006, 11:09 pm

You're most welcome!

Originally Posted by Paella747
Thank you Globe! I appreciate your help! I'm certainly looking forward to the trip!
Should I keep a stack of $$ to tip that butler all the time, or just wait until check out? That always throws me off in luxury hotels. I feel like I'm supposed to tip everybody for everything!

You're welcome!

Since the hotel levies a 10% service charge (in addition to tax), I reckon that a smile and a thank you (in Thai) should take care of things.

If time permits, check out the fabulous Sheraton Pattaya! I've been meaning to write a trip report as it was an enjoyable hotel stay.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 7:41 am

Programs: Free agent
SGS Breakfast Question

For the first time in 5 years I will be staying in Bangkok as a Gold SPG instead of Platinum (Thanks to Starwood for having NO property choices in Austin. ) and have a question about the breakfast buffett.

I have stayed at both the Westin and SGS in Bangkok in the past and like them both. I prefer the beds at the Westin, and the fact that it was a Cat 2 compared to a Cat 3 at the SGS. Now they are both Cat 3, so that changes my outlook a bit.

My main question centers around the breakfast. I have always stayed at the SGS on points and always as a Plt. This time I will still be staying on points but as a Gold. Breakfast has always been included, but I don't know if that was because it is included in the points rate or if they gave it to me because I was PLT. If so, do they also include it for Gold members?

I've searched the million BKK SPG threads but saw no mention of the buffet being included, only mentions of how great it was (which I agree.)

I do have one other question that was not answered. Does anyone know if wireless internet is free in rooms at the SGS? I read that on one of the threads, but the person wasn't sure if it was true. I know it costs $15+ per day at the Westin.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 8:55 am
Suspended

I have stayed at the SGS as Gold, no complimentary breakfast.

If I were you, I would save my points and go for one of the Cat 2 options in BKK or pay cash to stay at a non-Starwood hotel. IMO the SGS is the most overated hotel on FT.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 9:38 am

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
I was there last week as a gold. Breakfast is not included.
If you book a grand deluxe room, you get free internet and breakfast otherwise you'll need to pay for both.
For an award stay as a gold you'll get your room upgrade to a nice view/high floor and that's about all. The breakfast was good but not as god as I remembered.
Old Mar 25, 2006, 10:46 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Could you pay 1,000 points per day and upgrade your room to a grand deluxe? I know a lot of people use this upgrade at the westin for exec floor access and seems like a pretty good deal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.