Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge – located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities – the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

· Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m.

· The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. – 8 p.m.

· Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2008, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Most

Was looking for Marriott properties this coming weekend and had this one listed as well. Wasn't aware of it.

Once open will probably have rather low weekend rates when nothing is going on in downtown area.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...es-at-la-live/

Opening in 2010, JW Marriott Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE will serve as the focal point of L.A. LIVE, offering sophisticated travelers a front seat to the emerging world-class entertainment, sports and dining district, along with the inimitable luxury for which the brand has long been known. With its central location in Los Angeles? burgeoning downtown district, the JW Marriott at L.A. LIVE will provide a deluxe level of comfort and personal service within a unique environment designed to reflect its location. Guests will enjoy convenient access to the city, whether visiting the revitalized downtown area or other parts of Los Angeles.
All 879 distinctive guest rooms will be located between floors four and 21 of the hotel.
* Complimentary on-site parking
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:06 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I agree.When there is nothing happening at Staples this place-along with the Ritz Carlton will be a tomb.

This was slated to be a Marquis-now it is a JW.

RC residences are also in the mix.Who in their right mind would want to vacation/live next to the Staples Center?

LA live is going to be great-but it is a small piece of larger whole that is a hole
Old Dec 2, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I seriously... VERY seriously considered buying into the RC Residences at L.A. Live. The kicker was when I finally got pricing information for the floor plans big enough for my family (which are all considered "penthouse suites"). Let's just say that starting prices over $3M are out of my price range...
Old Mar 15, 2009, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

BTW they already have JW Marriott signs up. Visible both from 110 southbound as from 10.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA Gold, MR Plat (life gold), SPG Gold
I drive by the site every work day and at least from the outside the hotels (Ritz and JW) are making good progress. The views from the Ritz will have some distant ocean views as they have western exposure. It looks like where the Marriott pool will be may have very limited sun.

With all the new restaurants and entertainment already open there, it's become a fun place to hang. I live about 15 miles from it, but i'll stay now and then once its open.

With the JW scheduled to be a conference hotel, it's not just Staples, LA Convention Center, Nokia Theatre, and Club Nokia that will have people spending the night.

I wonder if the current downtown Marriott will stay branded as such.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 9:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Well given the ocean is about 30 miles west & given LA smog , that will be VERY distant views.

Truly, unless I'm attending something late at night I can't imagine staying there overnight, but then I'm local.

However, could be good for all the other items mentioned above, although LA Live is still running into some issues (as is the rest of downtown) due to the economy & collapse of real estate market.

My guess is Marriott will stay the same. They still get a lot of revenue from it as a conf hotel. And the JW will be priced higher than the Marriott, hence the Marriott staying in the mix. But that's just a guess.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tiojelly
The current Marriott shouldn't be branded as such if Marriott HQ would require any quality standards. They should entirely remodel the whole hotel and guest rooms. It was already very tired when I stayed there two years ago.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 1:37 am
Community Director Emerita

I understand this is now scheduled to open February 15.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 3:29 am

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
this location works for me

I will try this property for USC games

assuming the free parking is real; and I'll believe it when I see it

this should be great for SC games; close enough to walk to the colesium or even better.. a doorstep from the staples shuttle bus to the colesium

I'll have to price it out and keep the EEO's in mind but this should be great for game weekends ^
Old Jan 20, 2010, 7:42 am

Hopefully someone will stay soon after it opens & do a 'trip report' for us.

Also I know of a larger trade show that will be in LA this summer being held at the convention center, so this would be a good location for that depending on pricing.

Cheers.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by Tiojelly

I stay in the Marriott on Figueroa about 5 times a year, reluctantly. Considering its currently the only Marriott property in downtown LA, its really not very nice. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see it go away, and frankly I wouldn't miss it.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse

I'll have to price it out and keep the EEO's in mind but this should be great for game weekends ^
Called to see if I could use an EEO for this location in April and was told they weren't on the "participating hotels" list. I thought all US properties were participating unless they were on the "not" participating list. Maybe someone else can confirm.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by fireworksboy
Called to see if I could use an EEO for this location in April and was told they weren't on the "participating hotels" list. I thought all US properties were participating unless they were on the "not" participating list. Maybe someone else can confirm.
That's my understanding as well. Perhaps ask MarriottConcierge to check?

Cheers.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I agree.When there is nothing happening at Staples this place-along with the Ritz Carlton will be a tomb.

This was slated to be a Marquis-now it is a JW.

RC residences are also in the mix.Who in their right mind would want to vacation/live next to the Staples Center?

LA live is going to be great-but it is a small piece of larger whole that is a hole
I live 2 blocks from there and love it. There are some great places in the area other than LA Live/Staples...you just have to venture a few blocks.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kbCId2vUb5...h/DSC00166.JPG [view of the Ritz-Carlton and Marriott from my loft

www.bottegalouie.com
www.corkbar.com
www.bottlerock.net
www.yojie.com
www.wurstkucherestaurant.com
www.r23.com
www.musiccenter.org
www.laphil.com
www.moca.org
www.riverarestaurant.com

I can also walk to Chinatown and Little Tokyo.

Plus if you get bored you can hop on the train and go to Hollywood, Universal Studios, Long Beach, Redondo Beach or yes Pasadena. Yes, I do use public transportation when ever possible.

But then again I have season tix to both Clippers and Lakers and attend Kings games and go to the Nokia Theatre and the Regal Cinemas.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_kbCId2vUb5...h/DSC00166.JPG [view of the Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton from my loft]

FWIW: I find it is best not to talk negatively about any city or area because there is always someone that lives there and people get offended. It's like those stupid threads in the past like "which is your least favorite city" I will always post my favorite but not my least favorite although I do have a few I don't like.

I just moved Downtown after 30 years in the beach cities (Redondo Beach, Newport Beach and Huntington Beach) I am finding DTLA exciting because of it's diversity. Sure there are pits just a few blocks away and sometimes I have to deal with people talking to themselves but...

bigguyinpasadena I love Pasadena...I convinced my son to go to PCC and he lives near the school now.

Last edited by wingless; Jan 25, 2010 at 6:19 pm
Old Jan 25, 2010, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was just there this weekend. The building looks beautiful! However, I think there is a problem - the shape of the Ritz building (http://la.curbed.com/uploads/2007-05-lalive111.jpg) actually reminds me of the Intercontinental logo: http://images3.ichotelsgroup.com/cq/...0001.Image.gif Does anyone else see what I am talking about?

I get the feeling that the complex will be busy a lot of the time and they are trying to make it the happening place in LA. If it grows 10x -then I can imagine it feeling like Time Square at night.

If anyone got any good shots of the building / downtown with the snow covered mountains behind, it would be beautiful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.