Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
Upgraded wireless Internet is complimentary in your guest room, and Gold Elite members enjoy a 10 percent discount on all purchases in our BLVD shop.

Executive Lounge located on the 4th floor of the hotel, our Executive Lounge is open Monday through Friday 6:30am- 10am for breakfast. We are happy to provide breakfast for two at Glance, (previously called Ford's Filling Station), the lobby level restaurant on Saturday and Sunday.

Activities the following amenities are offered at the hotel:

Pool Deck, 4th floor open daily from 7 a.m. 10 p.m.

The Ritz-Carlton Spa, 2nd floor open daily from 9 a.m. 8 p.m.

Fitness Center, 2nd floor is open 24 hours

Destination Fee

The $30+taxes destination fee includes the following amenities - redeemable via the passport they hand you at check-in:
  • Premium internet (with a special code instead of logging in with name/room number)
  • $20 food and beverage credit daily [resets at 12pm according to reports]
  • "Wine tasting" from 4:30-5pm at the hotel restaurant (choice of house wines, either 2 half glasses of white and red, or 1 glass of white or red)
  • Admission to the Grammy Museum
  • Free small popcorn at Regal theater (requires coupon from front desk)
  • 1 hour of bowling at Lucky Strike between 4-6pm (once per stay)
The hotel current does not provide an alternate amenity for elites to replace the premium internet included in the destination fee.

To get acquainted with the exciting recreation, entertainment, attractions and shopping options on and around the hotel, please visit: www.lalivemarriott.com
Print Wikipost

JW Marriott Hotel Los Angeles at L.A. LIVE [Master Thread]

Old Apr 25, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
I stayed here for five nights (Fri - Wed) while attending events at the LA Convention Center last week. Location-wise, it is a huge step up from the last time I had to be at an event in downtown LA. ^^

Otherwise, service was good and the room was large and super clean. No upgrades or lounge access as I'm a Hilton guy with no Marriott status yet, but all went well. Particularly nice perks: you can hook up your laptop to the TV via VGA cable, and the alarm clock has an iPod/iPhone dock (I'm a gadget geek, what can I say ). The only gripe I had was the shower water pressure. Considering the new state of the bathroom and room in general, I was expecting better.

Elsewhere in the hotel: The pool area on the 4th floor was also new and in good condition, and pretty quiet on the Tuesday afternoon we hung around. It overlooks the restaurants in the LA Live area but is still relatively private. Pool bar was not open on Tuesday.

Meeting space: One of my evening events was also in a meeting room on the second floor, also pretty classy and good food.

Last edited by silverthief2; Jun 23, 2013 at 12:59 pm
Old Apr 26, 2012, 10:18 am

Programs: FT Member # 642
Originally Posted by silverthief2
The only gripe I had was the shower water pressure. Considering the new state of the bathroom and room in general, I was expecting better.
It's a LEED's Green Building so it is energy efficient. My building is also LEED's and I had to remove the water flow piece to get decent water pressure.
Old Apr 27, 2012, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Back to UA, missing DL; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by wingless
It's a LEED's Green Building so it is energy efficient. My building is also LEED's and I had to remove the water flow piece to get decent water pressure.
Good to know for the future, thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Does anyone know if the lounge is still closed on weekends? Or any more recent stays?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
Does anyone know if the lounge is still closed on weekends? Or any more recent stays?
The JW's lounge near the pool? If you don't find out first I will ask someone there tomorrow.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATHopkins19
SkiAdcock: Concierge closes at noon on Friday and re-opens from 5 - 10pm on Sundays. When closed it is fully closed -- no getting Cokes or snacks. No free breakfast for platinums on the weekends. If you want a Coke though on like a Saturday she said they will accomodate you (I assume you have to be platinum maybe?). Free internet via WIFI 7 days a week for Platinums.
I finally got through on the phone to somebody (they need to staff more operators), and indeed the Exec lounge is closed on Saturday and Sunday morning. I asked if as Platinum I could get a breakfast coupon, and was told "not normally, but if you ask they can provide you a credit". Whatever that means? The Sheraton is half the price, but of course it's half the hotel too. Not sure what to do. The Ritz is showing super expensive, over $500 for the cheapest room, but at least their lounge is open on weekends.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I asked if as Platinum I could get a breakfast coupon, and was told "not normally, but if you ask they can provide you a credit". Whatever that means?
Hopefully you got the name of the operator, as reports seem to indicate they don't do anything on weekends, even for Plats.

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Hopefully you got the name of the operator, as reports seem to indicate they don't do anything on weekends, even for Plats.
I'm not going to stress about it. If they don't provide breakfast, I can always walk over to the Pantry. Best steak and eggs downtown for 10 bucks.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:58 am

II can always walk over to the Pantry. Best steak and eggs downtown for 10 bucks.
Good to know!

Cheers.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I'm not going to stress about it. If they don't provide breakfast, I can always walk over to the Pantry. Best steak and eggs downtown for 10 bucks.
Was about to post this. Great breakfast and always hit it up when at the JW in lieu of the lounge offerings at least once. Full name is Original Pantry Cafe for those looking for it. It is open 24/7 and takes cash only.

I like the JW a lot. Have about 90% success rate being upgraded to a junior suite.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:49 am

Thumbs down I loved this hotel now I hate it

I frequent this JW when friends, business associates and family are in town. I have seen many rooms and ate at LA Market numerous times. I love to sit in the lobby in the mornings and people watch while I have my coffee but I will not be doing this any longer.

First off Chef Kerry needs to get back to her restaurant and make sure these people now working there know what they are doing. The food is mediocre to inedible. A couple weeks ago I had my eggs benedict come after 40 minutes of waiting to find that the hollandaise all coagulated and cold...it was disgusting. The server and manager apologized and compt my meal (I didn't eat it and was no longer hungry). Every time I go the service is so slow and I have to chase down a manager or server to take my order, get coffee refill or get my check.

Today the server gave us the wrong check and we didn't noticed. About 10 minutes later she found us at the front desk (that's another story) and said we paid the wrong check as if some how it was our fault. She said that the hotel would have had to eat the bill if she didn't find us. Well I only ate a spoon full of scrambled eggs and a couple pieces of bacon and fruit from the nasty buffet...I don't think the Marriott's food cost is going be affected. It was embarrassing how she treated us like we were thieves.

Then my friend need to go to the business office to print out some things and use their envelopes (because they don't have envelopes in the rooms) But it was closed and the business lounge is closed on weekends. Mind you that almost every weekend there are convention people staying there and today was no exception. Sure it's Sunday morning but the place was packed.

He eventually got an envelope from the front desk (concierge couldn't help) with a huge FAX label on it and in the middle of the envelope it said Guest Name and Room. He asked for one without all of the labeling but they didn't have it and said he could mark it out so he could mail it.

I then asked for a manager and told him our problem with the business office. He was one arrogant guy too. With a smirk he told us we don't have a need on Sundays to have the office open. I said the place is right now packed with conventioneers with their name tags. He said the Marriott finds that Sundays they don't need it open. My friend said well the Starwood properties stay open 7 days a week. The manager just smiled and said, "we don't run our business by what our competition is doing."

I would complain to the GM because I see him often if it's the same one that was at the Grand Opening but I got a feeling this is a Marriott problem in general.

Last edited by wingless; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:14 pm
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm the friend.

On the plus side, they had no problem giving me credit for breakfast since the lounge was closed. Nice room, but no upgrade other than being placed on a high floor (20) for this Platinum member. Another nit is that for a luxury city hotel, the room is quite sparse for amenities. No stationery other than a small notepad. JW's in Asia for instance, have much more attention to detail.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 1:55 pm

I figured you were the friend *

Stimpy, do you know if they had free WiFi in lobby?

Wingless, call the hotel and set up a mtg w/ the GM if it's the same one. Let him know of the issues.

This is NOT typical Marriott, but it may be of this property figuring they're the big kahuna in downtown LA.

Cheers
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Stimpy, do you know if they had free WiFi in lobby?
I didn't try, but I seriously doubt it. This is a very large hotel and I didn't see the lobby without over a hundred people in it at any time. Several hundred around 11pm last night.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by apodo77
Was about to post this. Great breakfast and always hit it up when at the JW in lieu of the lounge offerings at least once. Full name is Original Pantry Cafe for those looking for it. It is open 24/7 and takes cash only.

I like the JW a lot. Have about 90% success rate being upgraded to a junior suite.
Also Bottega Louie is about 3-4 blocks. Great breakfast but usually very crowded.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.