FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   [LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/851534-left-marriott-park-central-san-francisco-master-thread.html)

Eastbay1K Feb 8, 2007 10:41 pm

[LEFT MARRIOTT] The Park Central San Francisco [Master Thread]

"Opens" April 12.

San Francisco's Argent Hotel will change its name, spend $29 million on a top-to-bottom renovation and premiere April 12 as the Westin San Francisco Market Street, the hotel's general manager said Tuesday.

I wonder if the Palace is long-lived for the Starwood umbrella.

bigguyinpasadena Feb 9, 2007 6:46 am

Thanks for the heads up Eastbay1k.
I visited a guest a this property-he had a deluxe room that was small wit a lot of unusable space since it was a triangle shape.
But this property will probably run a lot of specials-so I would be tempted to stay there.
The Palace has ben with starwood for a long time now,but they dropped the "sheraton"out of their name so leaving starwood might(big might here)be in the works.Staying there later this month so we will see how they treat Plats.

sapguy Feb 9, 2007 7:31 pm

Finally something else other than the very uneven, and somewhat tired, St Francis!

Seattlenerd Feb 9, 2007 7:35 pm

Personally, I'd rather lose the Westin St. Francis, due to their difficulty in remembering to upgrade Plats.

I recall the Palace Hotel is now part of the Luxury Collection, which is why they dropped the "Sheraton" from their name.

Eastbay1K Feb 9, 2007 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7195146)
I recall the Palace Hotel is now part of the Luxury Collection, which is why they dropped the "Sheraton" from their name.

It has been LC for quite some time. It is far from a true LC property, but then it still is Category 4 on the plus side.

BlissWorld Feb 9, 2007 9:00 pm

OMG the argent is across the street from St Regis SF, which is next door to W San Francisco. What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?

sapguy Feb 9, 2007 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 7195513)
OMG the argent is across the street from St Regis SF, which is next door to W San Francisco. What's up with all the starwood in San Francisco all next to one another?

They're all right next door to the Moscone Center.

Seattlenerd Feb 9, 2007 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by sapguy (Post 7195676)
They're all right next door to the Moscone Center.

Not exactly. Moscone is on the other side of Market Street from the Westin St. Francis. I think the Palace is the closest to Moscone.

BlissWorld Feb 9, 2007 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7195776)
Not exactly. Moscone is on the other side of Market Street from the Westin St. Francis. I think the Palace is the closest to Moscone.

Actually, sapguy is correct. Moscone is across the street from the St Regis and W, and NONE of these hotels on are market st. They are ALL on 3rd St. Westin St Francis is on Powell street, which is several blocks away from the other three hotels.

Seattlenerd Feb 10, 2007 7:20 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld (Post 7195825)
Actually, sapguy is correct. Moscone is across the street from the St Regis and W, and NONE of these hotels on are market st. They are ALL on 3rd St. Westin St Francis is on Powell street, which is several blocks away from the other three hotels.

I didn't say any of the hotels are on Market in my post. I said that Moscone was on the other side of Market from the Westin St. Francis, which fronts Union Square. I've stayed repeatedly at both the Palace and St. Francis, but didn't speak to the locations of the W or St. Regis since I haven't stayed at either.

sapguy Feb 10, 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7196886)
I didn't say any of the hotels are on Market in my post. I said that Moscone was on the other side of Market from the Westin St. Francis, which fronts Union Square. I've stayed repeatedly at both the Palace and St. Francis, but didn't speak to the locations of the W or St. Regis since I haven't stayed at either.

I have stayed at the W San Fran and the St Regis and WALKED comfortably (back and forth) to my meetings/sessions at the Moscone Center.

I have stayed at the Westin St Francis and have taken cabs (back and forth) to the Moscone Center. You must really like long walks in San Francisco, I can see :D

bigguyinpasadena Feb 10, 2007 8:26 am

YOU TOOK A CAB!!!from the St.Francis to Moscone?It is a fifteen minute walk!What?Are you from LA or something? :D
and yes-when I lived in San francisco I did enjoy taking long walks.I lived on Protreo Hill and worked in the Union Square area-I walked whenever the weather allowe-which was most days ^

sapguy Feb 10, 2007 8:39 am

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena (Post 7197107)
YOU TOOK A CAB!!!from the St.Francis to Moscone?It is a fifteen minute walk!What?Are you from LA or something? :D
and yes-when I lived in San francisco I did enjoy taking long walks.I lived on Protreo Hill and worked in the Union Square area-I walked whenever the weather allowe-which was most days ^

I'm from Philly, and yes, a 15 minutes walk is a LONG WALK for me :D

I'm the one who rents a car to drive around in Paris :p instead of using their Metro. Same with London and Madrid, and sometime even New York and San Fran :D ^

BlissWorld Feb 10, 2007 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd (Post 7196886)

No you didn't, but you quoted sapguy's post, which was in response to my original comment about how W SF, St Regis SF and Argent are next to each other. He said that all of these 3 hotels were next to the Moscone center. You said not exactly, but in fact they are. Actually, here's a picture I took from the St Regis: http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7594526860978/ as you can see, Moscone center is across the street from the hotel (the front entrance is by all these rainbow colored flags)

bigguyinpasadena Feb 10, 2007 10:32 am

Ya know-I am just a little concerned about these hotels abandoning central downtowns and tourist areas in favor of convention centers.SF is not the only place-LA has two nice new HUGE hotels going up next to staples center.
Often times these are not convenient for those NOT attending a convention.
On the other hand-I guess if there are convention hotels that will decrease the demand on non CC hotels during big conventions.