Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2019, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bhrubin
Apparent concierge email address:
[email protected]
Print Wikipost

Ritz Carlton Tokyo, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:22 am

Programs: MM / UA 1K
If you exit the hotel near the cafe / plaza (near where the Starbucks used to be before it moved) and head toward the new Starbucks and towards Roppongi, you will see an escalator that will take you underground and drop you off near a Muji, 7-11 and some other shops on your way to the metro. There is only some brief exposure to the outside on this route.
In the reverse, coming back to the hotel from the metro, if you pass those shops mentioned above and don't take the escalator up to the plaza but instead head towards the office building entrance, turn left when you reach the office doors. This will lead you to a passage way to the RC bell desk and elevators.
Since the porte-cochčre for taxis and the ground entrance to the mall are on different levels it can be somewhat confusing but it offers a couple different routes to and from the hotel when the mall is closed.
Old Nov 21, 2018, 10:30 am

Stayed here 5 nights over two different stays during our two week trip to Japan last week. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

Location: Excellent. Ample access to several different subway lines, easily walkable to some wonderful shrines and parks in Roppongi. The access to the mall with a 7-11 for ATM was great.

Room: First go around, they upgraded us to a view of Tokyo Tower and a slightly bigger room, which we thought was lovely. There were also some delicious chocolates from the chocolate shop in our room for our anniversary. They also threw in free breakfast for our two night stay the first time around, which we thought was lovely touch. Our check-in hostess, Maco, wrote us a lovely handwritten card which contained details about the rest of our trip which we told her about during check-in, along with some handmade origami. Second go around at the end of our trip, no free breakfast but an amazing upgrade to a Carlton Suite (no club access, obviously). I am a PE, and was actually shocked with the upgrade. The views from our room were incredible. Both rooms had wonderful large bathrooms, and incredibly comfortable king beds. Turndown service was very nice.

Dining: We were very impressed with the breakfast buffet and drinks at the bar. We enjoyed the made to order menu that was included with the price of breakfast. As a PE, you get 20 percent off any in restaurant dining (including at the bar, which was great!). It does not qualify for room service.

Amenities: Used the gym, pool, and spa heat experience (which is included with PE or higher, usually a 3,000 yen fee). All excellent. The gym had trainers that you could set up a session with, which we didn't do but saw several guests utilizing during both stays.

Service: 10/10. Our stays were on points, but you never would have known the difference between a guest on points in the lowest level room or someone purchasing the presidential suite for a week. Extra points to the concierge team, who was so helpful leading up to our stay and during. We got lost on the subway to dinner one night, and they called the restaurant and were able to secure a seating for us 45 minutes later no issue.

Once I get my photos situated, I will post photos from both of our rooms.
callmedtop and bhrubin like this.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 3:23 pm

I booked a few nights in July 2019 on points (60,000 each) and I inquired about a point upgrade as well. It's still not available and they are asking for $300 for the Club upgrade for two adults. Does anyone think the point upgrade option will ever come back?

Last edited by Whygee; Nov 22, 2018 at 3:29 pm
Old Dec 5, 2018, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by jmj10
Stayed here 5 nights over two different stays during our two week trip to Japan last week. I can't recommend this hotel enough.

Location: Excellent. Ample access to several different subway lines, easily walkable to some wonderful shrines and parks in Roppongi. The access to the mall with a 7-11 for ATM was great.

Room: First go around, they upgraded us to a view of Tokyo Tower and a slightly bigger room, which we thought was lovely. There were also some delicious chocolates from the chocolate shop in our room for our anniversary. They also threw in free breakfast for our two night stay the first time around, which we thought was lovely touch. Our check-in hostess, Maco, wrote us a lovely handwritten card which contained details about the rest of our trip which we told her about during check-in, along with some handmade origami. Second go around at the end of our trip, no free breakfast but an amazing upgrade to a Carlton Suite (no club access, obviously). I am a PE, and was actually shocked with the upgrade. The views from our room were incredible. Both rooms had wonderful large bathrooms, and incredibly comfortable king beds. Turndown service was very nice.

Dining: We were very impressed with the breakfast buffet and drinks at the bar. We enjoyed the made to order menu that was included with the price of breakfast. As a PE, you get 20 percent off any in restaurant dining (including at the bar, which was great!). It does not qualify for room service.

Amenities: Used the gym, pool, and spa heat experience (which is included with PE or higher, usually a 3,000 yen fee). All excellent. The gym had trainers that you could set up a session with, which we didn't do but saw several guests utilizing during both stays.

Service: 10/10. Our stays were on points, but you never would have known the difference between a guest on points in the lowest level room or someone purchasing the presidential suite for a week. Extra points to the concierge team, who was so helpful leading up to our stay and during. We got lost on the subway to dinner one night, and they called the restaurant and were able to secure a seating for us 45 minutes later no issue.

Once I get my photos situated, I will post photos from both of our rooms.
As promised, some photos of our two rooms. The first go around is the Tokyo Deluxe room; we were booked in the baseline room on points, and they upgraded us to this room with some truly fantastic views (status is PE).

Bed - so big and so comfortable.

ample storage space. There were robes, slippers, and pajamas in each of the clothes cabinets.

hallway to door with coffee/tea nespresso.

view of Tokyo Bay and Tokyo Tower from our room.

Welcome chocolate for our anniversary

A note and some origami from our check-in assistant, Maco! She was so sweet and helpful. She sent this note to us the day after we checked in - she remembered all the things we were doing and the places we were going!

View from our room at night.

And the Carlton Suite (no club access) the second go around. I suspect that they were close to being sold out or had overbooked some of the lower level rooms and had to upgrade us, but it's not like I was complaining

We could see one of our favorite shrines in Roppongi from our room!

You can see the Imperial Palace all the way to the right

The construction is the new stadium they are building for the Olympics in 2020

Us and Maco before our departure from Japan!

More chocolates

We also spent a night at the Park Hyatt, and despite having no status were treated to a wonderful upgraded room with sprawling views of Mt. Fuji. I'll post some photos in that thread as well with a small review. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RC Tokyo to anyone looking for a luxury Tokyo hotel.
njxbean, bhrubin and flapland like this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jmj10
As promised, some photos of our two rooms. The first go around is the Tokyo Deluxe room; we were booked in the baseline room on points, and they upgraded us to this room with some truly fantastic views (status is PE).

Bed - so big and so comfortable.

ample storage space. There were robes, slippers, and pajamas in each of the clothes cabinets.

hallway to door with coffee/tea nespresso.

view of Tokyo Bay and Tokyo Tower from our room.

Welcome chocolate for our anniversary

A note and some origami from our check-in assistant, Maco! She was so sweet and helpful. She sent this note to us the day after we checked in - she remembered all the things we were doing and the places we were going!

View from our room at night.

And the Carlton Suite (no club access) the second go around. I suspect that they were close to being sold out or had overbooked some of the lower level rooms and had to upgrade us, but it's not like I was complaining

We could see one of our favorite shrines in Roppongi from our room!

You can see the Imperial Palace all the way to the right

The construction is the new stadium they are building for the Olympics in 2020

Us and Maco before our departure from Japan!

More chocolates

We also spent a night at the Park Hyatt, and despite having no status were treated to a wonderful upgraded room with sprawling views of Mt. Fuji. I'll post some photos in that thread as well with a small review. Again, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the RC Tokyo to anyone looking for a luxury Tokyo hotel.
Happy wedding anniversary and love all the pics!
Old Dec 5, 2018, 12:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Great pictures!
The rooms looks nice and immaculate.
Decor is more to the classic side I guess.

Most likely I will be staying at The Prince Gallery though as I am more familiar with the area
But definitely looking forward to try RC Tokyo in the future.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 5:15 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
@jmj10 I am sure many of us would love your comparison/contrast thoughts between the RC Tokyo and PH Tokyo in the luxury forum thread on Tokyo luxury hotels, if you’d care to share?

Tokyo luxury hotels (newer consolidated thread)
Old Dec 5, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kaizen7
Great pictures!
The rooms looks nice and immaculate.
Decor is more to the classic side I guess.

Most likely I will be staying at The Prince Gallery though as I am more familiar with the area
But definitely looking forward to try RC Tokyo in the future.
That's usually the brand standard. Not as royal stuffy as RC Osaka though.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
I am lifetime Platinum Premier Elite and staying here for four nights next week. Will report back on the LTPPE experience.

I stayed here in February last year and was given a free upgrade to a Club room because a friend of mine in Tokyo was friends with an exec at the hotel. The Club lounge was nice but I am not sure I'd pay an additional 20,000 JPY / $185 USD per day for it... you can get some nice meals for that.

In the plaza level there is the Starbucks Reserve and a Pain Quotidian which was great for breakfast / late night snacks. But really wish they had better PLT recognition.

Anyway, will report back...
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 12 year ex AA CK, AA LT PLT, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver
Checked in yesterday evening.

Sad to report that literally zero PPE recognition at RC Tokyo. Nothing. No upgrade, no welcome. No nice little treat in the room.

Then I see that the Elite Benefit guarantee doesn't apply to RC.

But nothing here at all.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by griffingrowl
Checked in yesterday evening.

Sad to report that literally zero PPE recognition at RC Tokyo. Nothing. No upgrade, no welcome. No nice little treat in the room.

Then I see that the Elite Benefit guarantee doesn't apply to RC.

But nothing here at all.
I plan to try RC Tokyo someday with one of my club upgrade certs, but the elite recognition is one of the big reasons I keep going back to the Prince Gallery and keep skipping the RC.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I plan to try RC Tokyo someday with one of my club upgrade certs, but the elite recognition is one of the big reasons I keep going back to the Prince Gallery and keep skipping the RC.
Yes, Prince Gallery is awesome. Stayed there a couple of times. It's just far from my office. 35m walk vs 10m walk for RC.
bhrubin and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 8:38 am

An update to my post about zero Platinum recognition.

I sent a polite email to the GM (he shared his email in some TripAdvisor review replies). I shared that I was disappointed to have received no warm welcome or recognition as a Platinum Premier (Lifetime) member which was unusual as on my previous stays I had always been recognized.

He was taking a few days off for the long weekend but his Assistant GM kicked into high gear and was very apologetic. I was told I should have received a larger room, welcome letter, welcome treat etc and it seemed, it traditional Japanese style, that they were embarrassed.

They over-corrected

1. Offered me a larger room. I declined as I was there for four days, this was now the second day and I had unpacked. Let's face it, the rooms are large and nice. No need for me to switch. I was comfortable.
2. Offered me complimentary breakfast.. I also declined because I had early work meetings the next three mornings and have breakfast in the office (and I am not the best morning person to wake up even earlier to take advantage).
3. Delivered lovely treats to my room the next three evenings: (i) three types of artisan chocolate almonds: milk, dark, cacao (ii) selection of macaroons (iii) fresh berry selection
4. Offered me a house car to Narita Airport. This was unexpected and very generous. I hesitated but decided to take them up on this and after years of taking the Limo Bus or NEx/Skyliner trains, this was a lovely way to go. It was a wonderful treat.

The GM actually met me in person as I was leaving to apologize. I thanked him and his colleagues for going above and beyond and suggested that they apply more consistency to welcoming their Platinum guests. In the past, this was accomplished with a Platinum welcome letter that is either given to you at check-in or left/delivered to your room.

Overall a happy ending.

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the treats. It was a long week :-/
jmj10 and nexusCFX like this.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by griffingrowl
An update to my post about zero Platinum recognition.

I sent a polite email to the GM (he shared his email in some TripAdvisor review replies). I shared that I was disappointed to have received no warm welcome or recognition as a Platinum Premier (Lifetime) member which was unusual as on my previous stays I had always been recognized.

He was taking a few days off for the long weekend but his Assistant GM kicked into high gear and was very apologetic. I was told I should have received a larger room, welcome letter, welcome treat etc and it seemed, it traditional Japanese style, that they were embarrassed.

They over-corrected

1. Offered me a larger room. I declined as I was there for four days, this was now the second day and I had unpacked. Let's face it, the rooms are large and nice. No need for me to switch. I was comfortable.
2. Offered me complimentary breakfast.. I also declined because I had early work meetings the next three mornings and have breakfast in the office (and I am not the best morning person to wake up even earlier to take advantage).
3. Delivered lovely treats to my room the next three evenings: (i) three types of artisan chocolate almonds: milk, dark, cacao (ii) selection of macaroons (iii) fresh berry selection
4. Offered me a house car to Narita Airport. This was unexpected and very generous. I hesitated but decided to take them up on this and after years of taking the Limo Bus or NEx/Skyliner trains, this was a lovely way to go. It was a wonderful treat.

The GM actually met me in person as I was leaving to apologize. I thanked him and his colleagues for going above and beyond and suggested that they apply more consistency to welcoming their Platinum guests. In the past, this was accomplished with a Platinum welcome letter that is either given to you at check-in or left/delivered to your room.

Overall a happy ending.

Sorry I didn't take any pics of the treats. It was a long week :-/
The rooms are nice, but lets be honest - those treats (especially the chocolates) are the best part
Glad to hear the tried to remedy the situation, and sorry you couldn't take advantage of the breakfast. The car sounds amazing!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I have an upcoming trip to Tokyo and usually stay at the Prince Gallery Hotel, where I like the lounge, breakfast, pool and Onsen spa. The hotel has always allowed me to check in at 8am, which is fabulous for a shower in my own room and breakfast on arrival in the lounge.

As a Platinum Elite with ambassador, is there any upside to staying at the RC Tokyo? Seems like I'd have to pay for everything and not get a lot of benefits?
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.