Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Various questions about points/nights for multiple rooms [Merged threads]

Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Slow your roll. Unless you are willing to guaranty there will be no issues by giving the poster points or cash should something happen, you cannot make that statement.

You will likely be okay, but keep in mind if someone else is really checking in and staying at a different property, you are breaking the rules. As the OP points out, if you are audited, which suspicious activity will trigger, and the audit turns up questions, your account will be closed and you will forfeit all points, like the OP, and have no defense. If lying and cheating are worth that risk, then you will be okay. If you enjoy being honest and ethical and not having to worry, don't look for ways to skirt the rules.
Given they are two separate programs and will continue to be for the near future, the likelihood of it being caught is slim, and taking the T&C's at face value booking the different chains is NOT a violation of the rules (I'm sure it will be later). That's not to say it won't raise a red flag and cause them to dig deeper into your earning habits looking for true violations (in both programs) but I'd feel pretty safe doing it, should I have a legitimate need to do so (wife in one GF in the other).
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Given they are two separate programs and will continue to be for the near future, the likelihood of it being caught is slim, and taking the T&C's at face value booking the different chains is NOT a violation of the rules (I'm sure it will be later). That's not to say it won't raise a red flag and cause them to dig deeper into your earning habits looking for true violations (in both programs) but I'd feel pretty safe doing it, should I have a legitimate need to do so (wife in one GF in the other).
I've had legitimate needs in the past, such as checking out very late in City A and being charged for the night while checking into City B later that night. I'm sorry, but having a spouse or third party staying in another city so the other person checks in as you to get the points and benefits isn't a valid reason. It's against the rules of BOTH programs. It's stealing. If you told MR or SPG that you were doing this the program wouldn't allow it. There seems to be an uptick in questions on FT about this type of stealing. My point in the post above is we need should temper advice from the type that indicates "you can do it" to advice that's more cautioned, like your use of the words "slim" and "legitimate" so we do not indicate we support fraud.

As for your wife in one and your girlfriend in another, I'll assume you're pulling a Fred Flintstone or George Jetson here and moving from one to the other and back and forth so you would be staying in both rooms. Which is sadder? That both shows did that episode or that I know that both shows did that episode?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 9:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The only time I did that the hotel was pretty empty for the weekend I was leaving so they let me keep my stuff in the room at no charge.
Did you have to go back to the beginning and have to pay state and local sales tax on the room as it was then a new stay after your weekend away from the place?
Old Nov 28, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you have to go back to the beginning and have to pay state and local sales tax on the room as it was then a new stay after your weekend away from the place?
Yes, it was treated as two different stays. My key supposedly would not work, although I wasn't there so I don't know for sure. I had asked about leaving my bag at the bellman's desk for the weekend and, instead, was given the offer to just leave it in the room. I checked in on my return like with any other stay but my stuff was already in the closet. While I don't want to name the hotel, rates are usually close to $300/night during a workweek but go down to well under $100 on the weekend, so their being empty on a weekend is likely the norm.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hilton Diamond AC*75K
How about this situation...
I am Plat, my wife is Gold (gifted from Amex/SPG), I am booking 2 rooms (in Europe) because we have 3 teens.
Can I guarantee lounge access if i book the rooms under my account and add her as the name on the second room?
That way if they refuse to extend benefits to second room, we just point out a Gold is staying in that room.
Or would we each have to book the rooms under our own accounts? (to guarantee no hassles)
Old Jan 16, 2018, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
easier to guarantee no hassles

and someone out there correct me if I'm wrong, and I’m sure there are many waiting to jump on this, but for at least the past year I don't recall being able to add a second party to my reservations at least not those made by app

Originally Posted by shawneve
I am Plat, my wife is Gold (gifted from Amex/SPG), I am booking 2 rooms (in Europe) because we have 3 teens.
Can I guarantee lounge access if i book the rooms under my account and add her as the name on the second room?
That way if they refuse to extend benefits to second room, we just point out a Gold is staying in that room.
Or would we each have to book the rooms under our own accounts? (to guarantee no hassles)

Last edited by Srisarin; Jan 17, 2018 at 1:26 am
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
I had two rooms for family trip and the 'kids' room got my name on it and my privs and lounge keys. No one ever ask or questions, ever, EXCEPT the Marriott County Hall. The only problem hotel for. They are truly a PIA.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
So because County Hall followed the KNOWN rules they are PIA ?

Frankly, I don't think "they" were the problem here.

Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
I had two rooms for family trip and the 'kids' room got my name on it and my privs and lounge keys. No one ever ask or questions, ever, EXCEPT the Marriott County Hall. The only problem hotel for. They are truly a PIA.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Srisarin
So because County Hall followed the KNOWN rules they are PIA ?

Frankly, I don't think "they" were the problem here.
You're probably right.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by shawneve
Does anyone know if we wil get the plat benefits if I booked the hotel using 7 nights of reward certificate but my husband has the plat status? I don't know how to go about doing this. I can attach my certificate to his reservation if he makes the reservation?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:08 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by musicscrip
Does anyone know if we wil get the plat benefits if I booked the hotel using 7 nights of reward certificate but my husband has the plat status? I don't know how to go about doing this. I can attach my certificate to his reservation if he makes the reservation?
When you make the reservation, make it in your husband's name. Then call MR and ask them to attach the cert to that reservation. They should be able to make sure the names match on the cert and the reservation.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
When you make the reservation, make it in your husband's name. Then call MR and ask them to attach the cert to that reservation. They should be able to make sure the names match on the cert and the reservation.
Sorry, I didn't explain clearly. I meant the certificate is under my name but my husband has the plat status. (I know...stupid me! I should have transferred the pt to him and redeem under his name) So will it work is we make the reservation under his account. Then call MR to add my name to his reservation and attach my certificate to it?

thanks
Old Apr 19, 2018, 7:24 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Will you be there with your husband? If so, keep the reservation in your name and when you both show up, let them know your husband's status (i.e. have him show his Plat card). I've done that with my wife before and had no issues getting Plat benefits for the stay.

If you are not going to be with your husband on this trip, I'd call MR and ask them if they can reissue the hotel cert in your husband's name. I've never tried or asked about doing that. So not sure if they can or will do that, but it can't hurt to ask. (Actually, you can probably call even if you are going and ask if they can switch the name on the hotel cert.)
Old May 7, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle, Hilton gold, Marriott/Starwood platinum
Multiple rooms - points vs nights

Hi, has anyone come across this?
I had 2 rooms under my name (Plat) at an international hotel. Things didn't update automatically, so there have been 7-8 calls to follow up on getting my nights and points toward next year's status. The last person I spoke to said that I can get the points for both rooms, but only the nights for one of the rooms.

I see in the FAQs that you can only get points up to 3 rooms per person, but nothing about limiting the number of nights.

Any thoughts here?

Thank you!
Old May 7, 2018, 3:48 pm

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jumbo hoya
Hi, has anyone come across this?
I had 2 rooms under my name (Plat) at an international hotel. Things didn't update automatically, so there have been 7-8 calls to follow up on getting my nights and points toward next year's status. The last person I spoke to said that I can get the points for both rooms, but only the nights for one of the rooms.

I see in the FAQs that you can only get points up to 3 rooms per person, but nothing about limiting the number of nights.

Any thoughts here?

Thank you!
In Marriott world you only get the nights for one room. You get points for up to three. Marriott has confirmed to me that this will be the rule come August.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.