Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2018, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
The app indicates 2 years at gold elite or higher which is completely wrong. Not sure whats going on there. Would like to know how far I am to the new Lt Plat category. I suspect I am close to the 10 year mark .
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by CJKatl
For anyone who has not seen it the bottom shows LTPP while the level and benefits are P.

This is consistent with Terms which show LT gets Silver, Gold or Plat benefits, but no mention of PP benefits.

All of this is consistent with the members.Marriott site which stated Silver, Gold and Plat received the benefits of the corresponding level but omitted the statement for PP.

One could be a mistake, but all three?
As someone that works in IT, I have doubts on all three fronts.
  1. IT integration isn't simple and there wasn't a true outage of any of Marriott.com that I could see. Bits and pieces went up and down from a public perspective, but from a GDS/backend central reservation system, it isn't completely clear. Between reports on FT of status not matching expected and the travel blogs (in both directions - seeing higher or lower status than expected), it's very likely that not all batched information loads/transformations have fully run yet and that all the data is transitioned.
    It's not incredibly surprising that in an IT merger of a complex custom reservation system with high uptime requirements and a merger of two giant chains that there would be IT issues - for example, people who used the same email and same password for both their SPG and Marriott accounts specifically have reported issues on being able to log into one of the accounts, whereas those who used different emails/same password or same email/different passwords have no issues.
    The display issue on the website could be a technical bug as easily as it could be a process in the merger that hasn't run yet to update that status in the my account page (or a combo of multiple technical factors).
  2. The members.marriott.com page was primarily created to update people on what the new rules in the new program would be and thus the lifetime criteria and the way it was written focused on the new ways to earn lifetime. The LTPP grandfather for existing MR LTP was a relatively small subset of it and a distraction for 98%+ of the elite population.
  3. We know of existing areas in the T&C currently on Marriott.com that still are erroneous. For example, a reference to what benefits an ambassador provides being listed in section 5.8, and then section 5.8 not existing at all, or any section describing exactly what an ambassador does, suggests errors on the integration that are either technical or related to human factors (e.g. posting an old version of the T&Cs, or oversights in the released version of the 25,000+ word terms that need to be revised in the coming days).
Out of the two possibilities listed, I'm inclined to go with the other posters and say that it's more likely that members.marriott.com didn't explicitly quote the niche case of grandfathered status, that the T&C omission is unintentional, and that the display when logged onto marriott.com/the app is an oversight and seen as a lower priority issue versus taking reservations, being able to check people in, and their lifetime/current nights and points history being transitioned properly, etc.... versus Marriott inventing a named status of Lifetime Platinum Premier that doesn't convey any benefits over Platinum/Lifetime Platinum, which could be seen as deceptive and potential grounds for a lawsuit.

Side note: I see this as totally different from the Rewarding Events debate, to which I acknowledge their is language plainly present in the T&Cs and the language is not perfectly clear to a degree that can lead to two very different interpretations.
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ellinj
The app indicates 2 years at gold elite or higher which is completely wrong. Not sure whats going on there. Would like to know how far I am to the new Lt Plat category. I suspect I am close to the 10 year mark .
A lot of people have said similar and years at gold/plat are being kept "whole" between the programs (legacy MR/Legacy SPG).

Which is to say, a year at gold on the new site is any year you spent 25 nights or more in qualifying activity, and a year at plat is any year of 50 nights or more.

Bearing in mind that in legacy MR, the MR credit card gave you 15 nights each year free, you got 1 elite qualifying night for every $3,000 moved across the MR visa, and that meetings gave you 10 elite nights per.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by phltraveler
As someone that works in IT, I have doubts on all three fronts.
  1. IT integration isn't simple and there wasn't a true outage of any of Marriott.com that I could see. Bits and pieces went up and down from a public perspective, but from a GDS/backend central reservation system, it isn't completely clear. Between reports on FT of status not matching expected and the travel blogs (in both directions - seeing higher or lower status than expected), it's very likely that not all batched information loads/transformations have fully run yet and that all the data is transitioned.
    It's not incredibly surprising that in an IT merger of a complex custom reservation system with high uptime requirements and a merger of two giant chains that there would be IT issues - for example, people who used the same email and same password for both their SPG and Marriott accounts specifically have reported issues on being able to log into one of the accounts, whereas those who used different emails/same password or same email/different passwords have no issues.
    The display issue on the website could be a technical bug as easily as it could be a process in the merger that hasn't run yet to update that status in the my account page (or a combo of multiple technical factors).
  2. The members.marriott.com page was primarily created to update people on what the new rules in the new program would be and thus the lifetime criteria and the way it was written focused on the new ways to earn lifetime. The LTPP grandfather for existing MR LTP was a relatively small subset of it and a distraction for 98%+ of the elite population.
  3. We know of existing areas in the T&C currently on Marriott.com that still are erroneous. For example, a reference to what benefits an ambassador provides being listed in section 5.8, and then section 5.8 not existing at all, or any section describing exactly what an ambassador does, suggests errors on the integration that are either technical or related to human factors (e.g. posting an old version of the T&Cs, or oversights in the released version of the 25,000+ word terms that need to be revised in the coming days).
Out of the two possibilities listed, I'm inclined to go with the other posters and say that it's more likely that members.marriott.com didn't explicitly quote the niche case of grandfathered status, that the T&C omission is unintentional, and that the display when logged onto marriott.com/the app is an oversight and seen as a lower priority issue versus taking reservations, being able to check people in, and their lifetime/current nights and points history being transitioned properly, etc.... versus Marriott inventing a named status of Lifetime Platinum Premier that doesn't convey any benefits over Platinum/Lifetime Platinum, which could be seen as deceptive and potential grounds for a lawsuit.
Great explanations all around and highly logical. Makes more sense than "Marriott is always right and just...except in this case when they will intentionally and explicitly hose those who have stayed longer and spent more with us than any of our other customers". Because logic.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Why in the world would they even bother with all the hoohah surrounding grandfathered LTPP and it only being possible this year if there was no practical benefit to getting it? Not that the additional benefits are anything to write home about...but really what would have been the point of getting all those 750 night SPG folks in an uproar and then making even more new rules to appease them? 99% of the merger seems so well thought out that I can't believe they would throw a dead fish in the backseat like that.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I was LTP under MAR legacy. Logged into my account today & it shows me at LTP with the infinity sign vs LTPP w/ the infinity sign. I'm going to wait a few weeks for the dust to settle before calling/see if it gets correctly updated on the next batch run. I figure w/ an IT merger of this magnitude there will be some hiccups. Also going to wait to get an awards trip sorted. Booked it before 8/18 when it only required 180K points, but now shows 240K points required.

Edited to add: While at the top it shows me as Plat, thanks to reading this on the combo SPG/MAR/RC forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30102261-post86.html I found where it does show me as LTPPE w/ the inifinity button. So others might want to check as well.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:48 pm
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Great explanations all around and highly logical. Makes more sense than "Marriott is always right and just...except in this case when they will intentionally and explicitly hose those who have stayed longer and spent more with us than any of our other customers". Because logic.
And again, that is not what I saying. Right now it appears from the site, the terms and the members.Marriott site that LTPP gets P benefits. Those are facts. Maybe it is a mistake but it cannot be definitely stated it is a mistake, and it seems odd the same mistake would be made in all three places. While we do not know the final answer right now, it does appear, as of now, that the assumption LTPP receives PP benefits may be incorrect, especially given that it has never been stated by Marriott. The assumption LTPP receives PP benefits is so far unsupported and unsubstantiated. Jumping to a conclusion that everything is wrong defies the actual facts. We need clarification.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Edited to add: While at the top it shows me as Plat, thanks to reading this on the combo SPG/MAR/RC forum https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30102261-post86.html I found where it does show me as LTPPE w/ the inifinity button. So others might want to check as well.

Cheers.
On the whole I have been impresssed with Marriott’s handling of this merger (I still wish it never happened, but that’s another matter). Having said that, they’ve bungled the status level naming so horribly that even they can’t keep it all straight. One can only imagine how the internal dialog went down, but I’d envision a whole lot of forehead slapping and head shaking.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Do you have current achieved P status or are you relying on your LT status? It seems the combo you and I both see is what shows for those whose current status is solely based on LT status.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And again, that is not what I saying. Right now it appears from the site, the terms and the members.Marriott site that LTPP gets P benefits. Those are facts. Maybe it is a mistake but it cannot be definitely stated it is a mistake, and it seems odd the same mistake would be made in all three places. While we do not know the final answer right now, it does appear, as of now, that the assumption LTPP receives PP benefits may be incorrect, especially given that it has never been stated by Marriott. The assumption LTPP receives PP benefits is so far unsupported and unsubstantiated. Jumping to a conclusion that everything is wrong defies the actual facts. We need clarification.
You are literally the only one that thinks this

Everyone else realizes “Liferime Premier Platinum” is the perpetual version of “Premier Platinum”, save for SNAs
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by phltraveler
As someone that works in IT, I have doubts on all three fronts....
Except each of the three departments would have had to have made similar mistakes. What would be the chances that all three made a mistake and tell a consistent story? One of these mistakes is understandable. Two are plausible. But the IT Dept, the loyalty dept and the marketing dept each making the same mistake, showing the same wrong information and nobody noticing seems too much coincidence to be coincidence. It would be different if Marriott stated in a single place that LTPP gets PP benefits and we could cite that as an indication Marriott made mistakes, but Marriott never made the promise many assume.

Marriott should clarify if each of these areas consistently got it wrong. It would explain, though, why Marriott originally did not care if SPG members did not get LTPP; it may not have mattered on the benefits.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:10 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card

Everyone else assumes “Liferime Premier Platinum” is the perpetual version of “Premier Platinum”, save for SNAs
FYP.

I mean, the assumption makes sense, but as CJK has pointed out, there's no actual evidence to support that assumption yet.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:18 pm

You are literally the only one that thinks this

Everyone else realizes “Liferime Premier Platinum” is the perpetual version of “Premier Platinum”, save for SNAs
Show one place Marriott has stated this. Your claim of common sense, Ocean's Razor and hurling insults at me are not cites. You are making an assumption which goes against the site, the terms and the marketing materials. The facts indicated the assumption may be incorrect and until we hear definitely from Marriott I am going with the facts, not your "magical" assumption, which was wrong last time you made stuff up that contradicted what was clearly written.

Again, show one thing from Marriott that backs up your assumption. I would love to see it and know LTPP gets PP benefits, but I cannot find anything that goes against the consistent information on the site, the terms and the marketing materials.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pvn
FYP.

I mean, the assumption makes sense, but as CJK has pointed out, there's no actual evidence to support that assumption yet.
He is also using "evidence" that has already been documented to be not fully rolled out yet and/or already incorrect, to try and prove a thesis that defies all logic

I remember getting into it with a former poster who insisted quite clearly that Marriott would honor LT Marriott benefits but not LT Starwood ones. I thought that was pretty laughable and was proven correct (no one really took his/her side). Didn't think that could be topped...until now.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Show one place Marriott has stated this. Your claim of common sense, Ocean's Razor and hurling insults at me are not cites. You are making an assumption which goes against the site, the terms and the marketing materials. The facts indicated the assumption may be incorrect and until we hear definitely from Marriott I am going with the facts, not your "magical" assumption, which was wrong last time you made stuff up that contradicted what was clearly written.

Again, show one thing from Marriott that backs up your assumption. I would love to see it and know LTPP gets PP benefits, but I cannot find anything that goes against the consistent information on the site, the terms and the marketing materials.
BTW you are quite revising history with my "magical" Gold years comment, which was said before the Lurker clarified a half-baked initial reply to end all doubt (and many others had the same doubt). So nice try using that one.

Marriott has already reached out to travel influencers to say the T&Cs aren't yet updated. The site isn't updated either (as you may have noticed from the dozens of examples percolating over the last day). "Marketing materials"...lol. Marketing materials wouldn't mention LTPP as it's not something that one can earn going forward in the new program.

Here's a fact that you keep ignoring - "Premier Platinum" is part of "Lifetime Premier Platinum". By your logic, Marriott is giving people that qualify for that title the LTPP designation, but will in reality only offer LTP benefits going forward. And not the PP benefits that are actually part of the level earned. That is some serious Flat Earth Society thinking...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.