Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Kuala Lumpur: Which SPG Property? [Master Thread]

Kuala Lumpur: Which SPG Property? [Master Thread]

Old Mar 5, 2018, 7:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by wuileng
If nightlife is what you're after I'd probably go for the Westin just to have Changkat Bukit Bintang at your doorstep. TREC KL is also a short drive away. Has a decent lounge. Rooms are fine as well, but starting to get old. From my experience, a good chance of getting an upgrade here to a one bedroom residence suite.

Element KL has nice modern rooms and probably has the second best location for nightlife, but with plat benefits, I'd opt for a property with a lounge. Also, the pool here is indoors and this might not appeal to everyone.

As for the LM, I'd say the lounge is better than the Westin, the rooms are nicer since their (relatively) recent renovation and it has a bigger and also busier pool since it shares it with the Hilton. From my experience, getting a suite upgrade here is more difficult than at the Westin.

If you're not really price sensitive, I'd avoid the Sheraton KL which is also located in the city as the rooms are really overdue for a refurb IMO.
Thanks for everybodys advice. I settled on the Westin, and will report back.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 11:39 pm

I recently had a back-to-back one night stay at Le Meridien and St Regis, having stayed at Westin the previous month.

While I really like Westin's location, I am giving slight edge for Le Meridien. If the location works for you, this is a gem in Starwood's SE Asia hotels. Rate is very attractive, rooms are newly renovated, lounge has nice ambience and great food! Connection to KLIA Express and trains is a big plus!

St Regis KL, while technically near KL Sentral, location wise is not as good as LM's. Rate is typically double LM's. While the rooms and suites are large, service is not up to brand's standards.

Westin will be great again once it receives a major renovation. I am sure it's due soon, especially since two new hotels (one of them is Banyan Tree) nearby will be open this year. I do hope they will double glaze the windows, especially because noise from night club behind can be audible from residence tower.

But for now, LM is hard to beat!
Old Mar 6, 2018, 2:40 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by wuileng
Oh yeah, if you're open to Marriott hotels and don't mind a slightly pricier option, the JW Marriott KL is a good option as well.
Unless you score a BRG (which shouldn't be too hard for JW, to be fair), JW normally is much more expensive on cash rate, though you can effectively book it for 113 USD on points.
Old Mar 6, 2018, 3:01 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
I recently had a back-to-back one night stay at Le Meridien and St Regis, having stayed at Westin the previous month.

While I really like Westin's location, I am giving slight edge for Le Meridien. If the location works for you, this is a gem in Starwood's SE Asia hotels. Rate is very attractive, rooms are newly renovated, lounge has nice ambience and great food! Connection to KLIA Express and trains is a big plus!

St Regis KL, while technically near KL Sentral, location wise is not as good as LM's. Rate is typically double LM's. While the rooms and suites are large, service is not up to brand's standards.

Westin will be great again once it receives a major renovation. I am sure it's due soon, especially since two new hotels (one of them is Banyan Tree) nearby will be open this year. I do hope they will double glaze the windows, especially because noise from night club behind can be audible from residence tower.

But for now, LM is hard to beat!
Totally agree with you, broadwayboy. I am a regular guest at the LM and absolutely love it.

The only con is that the non-suite rooms at the Meridien are quite small (smallest is 32 sqm, against 42 sqm for the Westin). If you are not a regular at either hotel, the "safer" option would be the Westin as I've read that suite upgrades at the LM are getting rarer as word spreads.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
As a lowly 'Gold Elite'....what might be the best hotel option for a first time stay in KL? (2 nights, travelling solo)

Thanks!
Old Oct 8, 2018, 6:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by EDIer
As a lowly 'Gold Elite'....what might be the best hotel option for a first time stay in KL? (2 nights, travelling solo)

Thanks!
Unless a local property is going above Marriott's new standards then as a gold you won't have lounge access at any of the properties. It really depends on what you want to do in Kuala Lumpur and whether you are there for work or pleasure.

The St. Regis and Le Meridien, both legacy SPG hotels, are near legacy Marriott's the Majestic Hotel, Autograph Collection. There isn't much around there except for historic colonial-era buildings within walking distance and a wonderful park (think Central Park in New York).

Other legacy SPG properties include the Westin, which is across the street from the J.W. Marriott and the Ritz-Carlton, in an area called Bukit Bintang. This part of Kuala Lumpur is mostly high-end shopping stores, malls, and so forth. Room rates are considerably higher here than elsewhere.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA Silver, Honors Gold
All leisure and no work thankfully. First time visitor.

Also is breakfast worth paying for in the rate?
Old Oct 8, 2018, 12:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver

It's tough to answer that question without knowing which property and what you like to eat. Almost all of the hotels in Asia have been buffets for breakfast that surpass any hotel in North America in quantity, but not necessarily quality. I eat light so I'm fine with oatmeal or yogurt whereas others value having a full American or British breakfast every morning.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby

It depends on what you want to do. If you see yourself hanging out mostly in town and don't mind getting by on foot or public transport, Bukit Bintang is not a bad place to be as it is connected to the monorail line (which admittedly has seen much better days) and the new MRT. Apart from the high end malls that @hockeyinsider alluded to, there is also decent nightlife and street food at Changkat Bukit Bintang and surrounds.

If you are on the move and fancy day trips out to attractions outside of town like Batu Caves, the Meridien wins due to its location at the KL Sentral interchange, and the fact that you can get taxis and Grabs (our monopoly equivalent of Ubers and Lyfts) quite easily. The Meridien also has a far better breakfast than the Westin, from both a quality and quantity perspective, and better fitness and spa facilities.

Last edited by HollyGlen; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:01 am Reason: typos
Old Oct 9, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
It depends on what you want to do. If you see yourself hanging out mostly in town and don't mind getting by on foot or public transport, Bukit Bintang is not a bad place to be as it is connected to the monorail line (which admittedly has since much better days) and the new MRT. Apart from the high end malls that @hockeyinsider alluded to, there is also decent nightlife and street food at Changkat Bukit Bintang and surrounds.

If you are on the move and fancy day trips out to attractions outside of town like Batu Caves, the Meridien wins due to its location at the KL Sentral interchange, and the fact that you can get taxis and Grabs (our monopoly equivalent of Ubers and Lyfts) quite easily. The Meridien also has a far better breakfast than the Westin, from both a quality and quantity perspective, and better fitness and spa facilities.
agree with the post, but just want to point out the LM Sentral has tiny rooms, unless booking a suite.

noticed your question on the DTKL thread as well and as all above have pointed out, it's hard to recommend without knowing the style of travel or plans (ie: relaxing in hotel, going out the whole day, half half etc).
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:06 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wantan
agree with the post, but just want to point out the LM Sentral has tiny rooms, unless booking a suite.

noticed your question on the DTKL thread as well and as all above have pointed out, it's hard to recommend without knowing the style of travel or plans (ie: relaxing in hotel, going out the whole day, half half etc).
When I was in Kuala Lumpur, I went out early in the morning (sunrise) walks in the Perdana Botanical Gardens or to explore old colonial sights. I then spent the day working by email or sunbathing. Then I would go out again in the evening. I found it too humid (not necessarily hot) between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.

The Renaissance and The Majestic, Autograph Collection have good pools for sunbathing. The J.W. Marriott pool was under renovation so I don't know what it's like, but the Ritz-Carlton pool was pathetic.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
I'm booking a 4-night stay in March for my father who hasn't been to KL before.
He'll be in Langkawi before and will fly to MLE on Air Asia afterwards - that's an 8:35 AM departure from KLIA (I guess KLIA2?).

He'll want to do some sightseeing (Batu caves, Petronas Towers etc.) and shopping and otherwise relax by the pool.
Location must be convenient for getting on that early Air Asia flight.

He doesn't have any Marriott status. We might get him Gold status by reopening his Amex Plat card, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

I've personally stayed at the Le Meridien. I found the rooms there very sterile, like in an office, almost like in a hospital. But the breakfast buffet was amazing.
I've also stayed at the St. Regis, which was great in terms of Plat recognition. But it's too expensive and they have constant issues with housekeeping. I also don't know what it's like without status.
Haven't stayed at the RC, which is dirt cheap (easily BRG'able), but the pool seems very small.

I'd like to lock the hotel in to decide if I should book LGK-KUL or LGK-SZB for him... Thanks!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
He might have to leave for the airport before the buffet breakfast opens or not have much time to enjoy it, so IMO you should check such details before making it an important consideration for the decision.

I'd suggest a hotel that's a close walk to the train to the airport. It's easy to use public transportation from there to Petronas Towers, and there would be shopping near the station too.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
It's a four night stay though. ;-)

Something near KL Sentral probably makes sense then, yes.
So I guess Aloft, Le Meridien or Hilton (though the latter would be OT here)?

Edit: Alternatively, what about the RC? I figures it's not really accessible by public transportation, but traffic to the airport might not be an issue in the morning?

Last edited by ChocolateFactory; Jan 21, 2019 at 2:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2019, 2:59 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChocolateFactory
It's a four night stay though. ;-)

Something near KL Sentral probably makes sense then, yes.
So I guess Aloft, Le Meridien or Hilton (though the latter would be OT here)?

Edit: Alternatively, what about the RC? I figures it's not really accessible by public transportation, but traffic to the airport might not be an issue in the morning?
I wouldnt be too fixated on staying near Sentral, a quick taxi ride in the morning is easily done from the hotels. I also wouldn’t dismiss hotels like the Sheraton or the Ren, both of which have great pools and a nearby train station or monorail. I would avoid the Hilton, the recent renovations are of low quality as evidenced by the lobby roof failing early one morning a few months back.

Element is a good property for longer stays given its cooking facilities (good supermarket in the basement of the DT nearby) and its guest laundry, again there is a nearby train station 50m from the hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.