Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
Originally Posted by mnscout

5. The beach is NOT a swimming beach, but that is true for all Rio beaches. I didn't notice any pollution, but the waves will kill you if you are not careful. I personally like the waves, but they can be downright scary.
Rio beaches are definitely for swimming, although perhaps not at this time of the year. After all, it's winter here. Even so, there are some nice sunny days in winter, and on those days the beaches will be packed with lots of people in the water. The beach at the Sheraton is not one of the best. Try Arpoador, at the beginning of Ipanema.
Old Jun 23, 2014, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, BA, UA, Spirit, Delta, PC Plat, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ajnaro
Rio beaches are definitely for swimming, although perhaps not at this time of the year. After all, it's winter here. Even so, there are some nice sunny days in winter, and on those days the beaches will be packed with lots of people in the water. The beach at the Sheraton is not one of the best. Try Arpoador, at the beginning of Ipanema.
Ajnaro, by swimming, I meant actual swimming, which I wouldn't recommend because of the violent waves and strong undercurrents. Of course, there were plenty of people on the beach and in the water, me included.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: Virgin Elevate Newbie, AA Exec Platinum, United Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver
Sheraton Rio Leblon -isolation factor?

Heading to Rio for meetings and we are staying at Sheraton Rio leblon. Reading notes that hotel is very isolated.

Anyone know if there are any local services nearby - coffee shop, grocery market where we can temporarily escape hotel food and high prices?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by Rock Harders
Checked in and out of here four times in a span of 2 1/2 weeks recently while I was in the Rio de Janeiro area. During the longest (5 night stay) I used C+P and was upgraded to room 1906 which was a very nice renovated suite with a kitchenette, two TV's, and pull-out sofa bed. During the three other 1-night stays I was also upgraded to various smaller suites (sans kitchenette) and rooms.
Anybody knows what's is suite SNA pool? Ran out of SNAs this year, can't do a mock booking
Old Jul 31, 2014, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
I stayed at the Sheraton Rio in August 2013 - the suites available to use with the SNA were the Junior Suite -

377 sq ft / 35 m²
Junior suite
Partial ocean view
Balcony
Living area
Old Jul 31, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by fizzydp
Heading to Rio for meetings and we are staying at Sheraton Rio leblon. Reading notes that hotel is very isolated.

Anyone know if there are any local services nearby - coffee shop, grocery market where we can temporarily escape hotel food and high prices?
There are no services available near the hotel. You would have to catch a quick taxi into Leblon. Avoid the hotel car service as it is very expensive.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by fizzydp

I don't know that I would describe as very isolated any place in the world where a 10-15 minute walk will reward you with a Big Mac but be aware that on the Big Mac Index Brasil ranks quite highly.
No doubt others will chime in with opinions about the safety of the 10-15 minute walk (I have done it dozens of times at all hours of the day and night without problems) but within about a very scenic 20 minutes you can be among restaurants, supermarkets etc - and there are always the hawkers on the beach fronting the hotel who will sell you a beer, Coke or Guarana for a fraction of the price of the hotel's poolside offerings even as you lounge on the hotel beach chairs
Old Aug 1, 2014, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by 3544quebec

...about a very scenic 20 minutes you can be among restaurants, supermarkets etc
That's exactly what I meant while I wrote: "There are no services available near the hotel." There's also the safety issue, but ... each to his own! If you're willing to take risks, there's a bus stop on the road in front of the hotel. But in my opinion you'd be better off waiting for a passing yellow taxi at the bus stop.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 8:13 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by HankAAFlyer
I stayed at the Sheraton Rio in August 2013 - the suites available to use with the SNA were the Junior Suite -

377 sq ft / 35 m²
Junior suite
Partial ocean view
Balcony
Living area
That what I thought. Very poor. . Tiny rooms -- some hotels -- regular rooms this size.
Most hotels (even LC's European Grand Dames) offer at least 50-60 sq. m full suites
Old Aug 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

Great experience at Rio Sheraton

I strongly disagree with some of the posts. Just spent 9 nights at Rio Sheraton. Upgraded to jr suite with ocean view, it was brand new, spacious, well laid out and very clean. Staff was very attentive to the room needs.
Club lounge on 26 is wonderful. Great breakfast, hot foods cooked to order, staff that attends to every need. At night, happy hour with Agnaldo and others who really pamper you. Even the speed of the wireless was pretty good (for Sheraton).
Having your own "nearly private beach" with comfortable lounge chairs and great pool area is a plus. Staff is all areas was first rate. The concierge staff (Gabriel) and others were of great assistance with a luggage problem.
Only negative is that it is a bit isolated. But being closer to Ipanema than Copacabana is a real plus as it has lots of great restaurants and clubs. It's a very short cab or bus ride to Leblon, Ipanema and Copacabana. Bus stop right outside was very convenient.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: HHonorsGold, MarriottPlat, BAEC Gold, FlyingBlue Silver
Got a Corner Suite with SNAs, not large but terrific views. Breakfast on top floor is pretty good. Food at the pool is poor and the wifi is probably the worst I've ever had in a hotel for years. Signal wasn't great anywhere I've been (room, lounge, lobby, pool) and it keeps breaking off......
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:23 pm
Used to be RichardKopf

Programs: SPG LTP/IHG Pl/Hilton D/Shang-Taj D/VA Plat/QFClub/Hertz Pres/Avis Pres
Originally Posted by MOZBOB
Got a Corner Suite with SNAs, not large but terrific views. Breakfast on top floor is pretty good. Food at the pool is poor and the wifi is probably the worst I've ever had in a hotel for years. Signal wasn't great anywhere I've been (room, lounge, lobby, pool) and it keeps breaking off......
I agree with all this. We were prob there at the same time. Had 3 rooms 29Dec-4Jan. One was a corner exec suite. Excellent view - over 200 degrees along Leblon and Ipanema beaches, open sea view and over to the favela on the right.

The breakfast lounge is a separate restaurant - not where cocktails are served. It offers a stylish, relaxed restaurant with an excellent breakfast, including made-to-order and buffet. We tried the main restaurant breakfast but came back to the excellent lounge. The views are exceptional and it really does offer a quiet, relaxing, getaway. The hotel itself is average and the location not perfect, but we enjoyed the stay, except for finding it hard, over new year, to get a spot near the pool or beach and that the food at the pool outlets is expensive and very poor. We spent most of the afternoons on Ipanema with the beautiful people, which was more fun than the hotel beach.

The car service outside the hotel door is expensive but a great way to take tours and let the guide buy you tickets rather than standing in line for hours. We used them quite a bit and then cabs to take us back to the hotel.

Concierge was great in helping make arrangements for Iguazu and did everything we asked.

I'd prefer someplace on Ipanema or Copacabana, but this is a good Starwood alternative and the only one at the moment.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
If you're willing to take risks, there's a bus stop on the road in front of the hotel. But in my opinion you'd be better off waiting for a passing yellow taxi at the bus stop.
Originally Posted by BonViveur
The car service outside the hotel door is expensive but a great way to take tours and let the guide buy you tickets rather than standing in line for hours. We used them quite a bit and then cabs to take us back to the hotel.
Stayed there 3 nights last week - they have shuttle with reasonable schedule that stop at Ipanema, Copacabana and Rio Sud (shopping). As a matter of fact one can ask driver to stop pretty much anywhere. shuttle runs 4-5 times a day and I noticed one couple that just used it to get to the beach - they were boarding the bus each morning with the beach chairs and were back with last shuttle.

Of course it doesn't feel that safe, but I would have no problem walking 1km from the hotel to the Ipanema beach (say between 10am and 5pm) as it is quite straightforward and along very busy road.

Chose Sheraton for specific reason it allowed 3 adults in the room, if only 2 were traveling I would certainly be booking JW Marriott at Copacabana. Having said that, hotel wanted to charge $110 for 3rd adult until I showed them the printout of the reservation that didn't mention any such charge.

AX
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:05 am

There is Uber now in Rio. It is Uber Black, but the prices are comparable to yellow cabs. Depending on where you are, Uber cars can come in 5 - 15 minutes. It's best to check the waiting time on the app before requesting a car. The service is generally good, but drivers usually cannot not speak any English at all.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
There is Uber now in Rio. It is Uber Black, but the prices are comparable to yellow cabs. Depending on where you are, Uber cars can come in 5 - 15 minutes. It's best to check the waiting time on the app before requesting a car. The service is generally good, but drivers usually cannot not speak any English at all.
Second that. Sheraton Rio has promo leaflet on this in key envelope.
AX

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.