Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Rio Hotel & Resort, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2013, 5:09 am

Programs: UA 1K
I went back to the front desk and showed them them list on their own website of what comes with a Deluxe Room -- including "SPG Floor." After spending some time on the phone, they showed me an unrenovated corner room on the 12th floor, but unfortunately we discovered it was occupied. They finally showed me a corner room on the 24th floor, with a view of the city and favela and partial ocean. In the end I decided to stay where I was because I'd fully unpacked, and was exhausted after a full day of meetings, and now resented the time I'd spent proving my point.

It really ruins the experience when you pay for a room and have to beg or demand that you be given the room that you paid for. I'm not even talking now about what I'd expect as a Gold Member, just give me what I paid for. As for the loyalty program, what is the sense of having one when the benefits can be granted inconsistently across all properties at the properties' whim?

My last two Starwood stays this summer -- at the Sheraton Stockholm, and the Westin Montreal, I got an email after booking giving me the opportunity of a paid upgrade, with mixed results. That offer was never made for this hotel.

Otherwise, the location is not bad and it is otherwise a nice hotel. This must be the only hotel in rio with direct beach access and a large pool area. Leblon is a pleasant walk down the hill, and cabs are easy (and not expensive) to hail for anywhere further.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, IHG Elite KLM Flying Blue,
Originally Posted by skipmnyc
Nice room with a terrace, but the ocean view is blocked by the tree canopy in front of me. I can hear the ocean though and see bits of it. I am now told that because the room is a renovated one, they consider this an upgrade.

Late check out on Sunday denied.

I guess I really should not expect much as a gold member. Every advertised benefit (at least the ones that mean anything) are subject to availability. So it's a crapshoot really. I am bummed, I was looking forward to (more like hoping for) the club floor.
I think this was a year ago the Clubfloor. The Clubrooms offered a terrace instead of the small balcony.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:32 am

Just an update on my final bill. I am trying to switch from HHonors to Starwood, or possibly Hyatt, as background.

I booked a deluxe room several weeks ago, at $271 a night. Fully prepaid, non-refundable, and my card was charged at the time.

Why I checked in, my room key had my per night rate written on it: $271 per night plus 15% tax.

At check out I recieved an itemized bill, and was asked for my credit card again. The bill was in portuguese, and suddenly the room rate was listed all in Reals. The nighly rate for the three nights was listed (without tax) as R$655, R$663, and R$633 respectively, plus tax for each night, listed separately.

At today's exchange (not much different from yesterday's exchange rate), that comes out to $277.58, $282.27, and $282.27. What gives here? I paid fully in American dollars in advance, my card was charged at the time, I confirmed the rate in American dollars at check in, but at check-out I am charged a higher rate? Keep in mind that the Real has been steadily losing value against the dollar, almost 22% over the past several months alone.

Is it just me or am I being ripped off here? I paid with my Starwood Amex, so I kind of doubt a dispute is going to get me anywhere.

When I asked about this, I got some mumbled, unintelligible explanation that made no sense to me. Needing to get to the airport, I left.

Am I off base, is the hotel off base, and if it's the hotel, what is my recourse?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:53 am

I booked a deluxe room several weeks ago, at $271 a night. Fully prepaid, non-refundable, and my card was charged at the time.

Why I checked in, my room key had my per night rate written on it: $271 per night plus 15% tax.

At check out I recieved an itemized bill, and was asked for my credit card again. The bill was in portuguese, and suddenly the room rate was listed all in Reals. The nighly rate for the three nights was listed (without tax) as R$655, R$663, and R$633 respectively, plus tax for each night, listed separately.

At today's exchange (not much different from yesterday's exchange rate), that comes out to $277.58, $282.27, and $282.27. What gives here? I paid fully in American dollars in advance, my card was charged at the time, I confirmed the rate in American dollars at check in, but at check-out I am charged a higher rate? Keep in mind that the Real has been steadily losing value against the dollar, almost 22% over the past several months alone.

Is it just me or am I being ripped off here? I paid with my Starwood Amex, so I kind of doubt a dispute is going to get me anywhere.

When I asked about this, I got some mumbled, unintelligible explanation that made no sense to me. Needing to get to the airport, I left.

Am I off base, is the hotel off base, and if it's the hotel, what is my recourse?

I assume that you are not saying that they are charging you twice for the room - once the prepaid rate and the second time at checkout in Reais because then you would hardly need to ask if you are being ripped off. If you are then that is more likely a mistake that shouldn't be too difficult to get resolved rather than a ripoff.

If you are saying that they charged your credit card the $271/night +taxes at booking but at checkout have worked out the rate in Reais and it is more than the pre-charged amount and the have charged your credit card the difference at check-out then that certainly sounds like a shonky practice. If fully prepaid there shouldn't be any room charge liabilty to you ( except for the voluntary R5 or so/night hotel tax which you can decline to pay if you wish - its just a contribution to the local hotel association/convention bureau)
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:37 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Just an update on my final bill. I am trying to switch from HHonors to Starwood, or possibly Hyatt, as background.

Facts:
a) If it was prepaid, there is no reason for a second charge.

b) The Real has been under extreme volatility; You do not state dates... but on 8/21 the USD peaked at over 2,45x/Real.

c) The above tax is used by Brazilian Central Bank; Tourist transactions are usually levied with a heightened exchange rate.

Cheers
Old Aug 27, 2013, 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by 3544quebec
I assume that you are not saying that they are charging you twice for the room -

If you are saying that they charged your credit card the $271/night +taxes at booking but at checkout have worked out the rate in Reais and it is more than the pre-charged amount and the have charged your credit card the difference at check-out then that certainly sounds like a shonky practice. If fully prepaid there shouldn't be any room charge liabilty to you ( except for the voluntary R5 or so/night hotel tax which you can decline to pay if you wish - its just a contribution to the local hotel association/convention bureau)
They did not charge me twice.

They put a hold on my card for the room rate, but did not charge it. The rate per night was written down on my room key envelope (I have it). "$271 + 15% tax" at check in.

At check out I was charged in Reals. The amount in Reals does not match the room rate in dollars, figuring in the exchange rate for that day. Not even close. I'm not including the tax here, as that is a separate line on the bill.

I feel like I'm being subjected to a shell game. "Welcome to the Sheraton Rio Mr. xxx, here's your rate in dollars." Then, "thank you for staying at the Sheraton, here's your bill, oh, it's in portuguese, and the amount is in now in Reals, and we're sorry that the amount doesn't seem to match the equivalent amount you were quoted in dollars, but mumble mumble mumble.* *Smile* "good-bye."

So not only did I not get my gold benefits, but they managed to tack on about another $50 or so to my bill. Nice job, very classy. This is a major international hotel chain, and the local property operates like they're still operating in a shady third world context. How does Starwood allow this to go on?
Old Aug 27, 2013, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA 4MM EXP; Starwood Lifetime Plt
I travel internationally with Starwood quite frequently. From my experience, the real room charge in local currency is nearly always greater than the quoted rate in USD if exchange is calculated via the official/bank rate. And the number of Starpoints awarded is almost always less than would be required for the amount actually paid converted back to USD at the official/bank rate. I say ‘almost’ because I recently had a pre-paid stay with Sheraton Stockholm that was actually charged to my credit card at the quoted rate in Swedish crowns at the time of reservation and the number of Starpoints awarded was exactly the expected amount for the corresponding USD charge. However, when the rate is quoted in USD the actual charge in local currency is almost never the same as the official/bank rate. In Chile, for example, they take the USD rate, convert it to local currency at some rate of their choosing, and then convert the total bill back to USD at another (less favorable) rate because local law requires that hotel charges for foreigners be stated and charged in USD. Even factoring out taxes and other fees and charges, this actually charged rate is ALWAYS higher than quoted. And the number of Starpoints is ALWAYS less than the newly calculated USD charge would require. I just take this situation as a reality and leave it at that.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:21 pm

Agree with ajnaro.

Anyway, if interested please inform the dates you stayed so we can assess the exchange rate going on on those days and you may have an opinion whether the exchange rate is plausible or there may have been miscalculations/surcharges.

Cheers.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 9:34 pm

I paid fully in American dollars in advance, my card was charged at the time,
They did not charge me twice.

They put a hold on my card for the room rate, but did not charge it.

At check out I was charged in Reals.
As always the usefulness/relevance of the advice/responses is directly related to the accuracy of the information posted. A difference in an exchange rate is very minor (common and irritating for sure) compared to the initial story which was that your credit card was charged the full room rate in USD at booking and then you were charged more for your room at check-out.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 4:52 pm

Programs: All of the Above
The Mrs. and I stayed here recently, and enjoyed the hotel. Keep in mind, traffic is totally random. It could be really smooth, or it could be awful. It took us close to 2 hours to go from Sugarloaf to the hotel, but the next day it only took 45 minutes to get to GIG (fixed rate from the hotel with private transportation for R$105).

Upon arrival, we were promptly greeted and started the check in process. During the process, the GM came out, introduced himself, and gave us his card. Without having to ask, we were upgraded to an Executive Suite, that was spacious, and had both pool and ocean views. Also was offered 4PM checkout without having to ask. It seems as though the low level floors have been redone, but some of the upper floors have not. There was some confusion as the GM (I thought) mentioned that in the temporary Club Lounge there were drinks until 9:30, but that was really until 7:30, so we just missed it as we went there at 8.

We ate dinner at the Pizza place next to the pool, and they had a phenomenally talented duo that was playing guitar and singing. The food was quite good, and the caipirinhas were awesome. In general, it was very nice and relaxing outside on the grounds.

As for the room, it was newly remodeled, and had a very nice bathroom and living area. There was only 1 robe in the bedroom, which seemed odd, but not that big of a deal. The wifi (as others have mentioned), was very spotty in the room, but fine in the lobby and pool area. Unfortunately, due to the hotel remodeling, they decided to remodel the room above us, starting around 7AM. I was looking forward to sleeping in, but that didn't happen. I wasn't throwing a DYKWIA, but did mention they should try to minimize the construction so early on a Saturday, and they offered me breakfast (which was already included for me). I declined and they offered me 6PM checkout, which actually worked great for us, since that's when we needed to leave for our flight anyways, so I accepted.

As for breakfast, it's on the main floor (which is really the 6th), in the restaurant. They apparently are updating the Club Lounge, so they have breakfast in the restaurant on the 6th, and evening appetizers in the restaurant on the 5th. Breakfast was very nice, and had wonderful service and a nice view of the ocean. Nice job on the breakfast for sure.

Spent the rest of the day on the beach/pool area. On the beach Sheraton chairs are provided. It's not a private beach, but it's not near as crowded as the other beaches. It was nice and relaxing, and had quite a few FA's and pilots we chatted with. Only downside was that to get a drink or food, you have to hunt down someone to order from.

Overall, the staff was quite good, and we enjoyed our stay. I would stay again.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
David, thank you for the good report. What was the surrounding neighborhood like for restaurants, coffee shops, shopping for the ladies? Is it convenient to Copacabana Beach or is the beach by the hotel adequate/comparable (other than the name)? Lastly, I'm trying to decide whether I should stay at this hotel or the Sheraton Barra Beach - Barra appears to be a bit Americanized, but further away from Copa. But Barra seems to have quite a bit of action as well.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by george 3
David, thank you for the good report. What was the surrounding neighborhood like for restaurants, coffee shops, shopping for the ladies? Is it convenient to Copacabana Beach or is the beach by the hotel adequate/comparable (other than the name)? Lastly, I'm trying to decide whether I should stay at this hotel or the Sheraton Barra Beach - Barra appears to be a bit Americanized, but further away from Copa. But Barra seems to have quite a bit of action as well.
Sheraton Rio Hotel is quite near to Leblon - 10/15 minute walk downhill or a 1-2 minute taxi ride. Leblon is the upscale neighbourhood for Leme/Copacabana/Ipanema.

Leblon and Ipanema are definitely where ladies love shopping, nice surroundings and nice cafes, near Lagoa, another upscale neighborhood with restaurants, etc

If your first time in Rio, Barra may disappoint you as it is too americanized also in the distances: you may need a car/taxi to go from one place to the other.

Copacabana is more popular and 10km away, always going by the beaches of Leblon, Ipanema - upscale beaches - and the next beach is Copacabana.

Cheers.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by george 3
As a resident of Rio (and of Copacabana) I can tell you that the Sheraton is nearby absolutely nothing. The nearest real neighborhood is a short cab ride to Leblon, where there are many restaurants and shops. You need to go out to the main road, outside of the Sheraton compound, to get a public yellow taxi because they allow only their own private car service inside. The pizza that David was referring to is probably in the Sheraton grounds, in a small building near the pools. The Sheraton has lots of nice pools, but the stretch of beach in front is not very good and the part of Leblon beach nearest to the Sheraton is often polluted due to sewerage. It would be best to take a cab to Ipanema beach. Sheraton Barra is even further away from any point of interest to a tourist. It is good only for people who have some reason, such as relatives or business, to be in Barra. If you are interested in Copacabana for some reason, there are only two international chain hotels: the Sofitel at the Ipanema end and the Marriott at the other end. There is a Caesar Park, now affiliated to Accor, in Ipanema. And the classic Copacabana Palace, a member of Leading Hotels. I almost forgot the ex-Le Méridien, now called Windsor Atlântica. Of course, there hundreds of other hotels, but none that offer points or mileage as far as I can remember.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 10:36 pm

Programs: All of the Above
Like others mentioned, you'll have to get a cab to go most anywhere, unless you don't mind walking for a while. The pizza place was on the grounds by the pool, and they have a BBQ buffet also, which we didn't try. I didn't notice the beach being dirty, but we spent most of the time by the pool. I grew up next to the beach, so I'm good not staying on the beach all day. The water was very rough though while we were there.
Old Sep 27, 2013, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by DavidAL

Like others mentioned, you'll have to get a cab to go most anywhere, unless you don't mind walking for a while.
The walk down the hill from the Sheraton to Leblon is problematic, both because of the heavy traffic on the curved road and because muggings used to be common there due to the nearby slum called Rocinha, one of the largest in Rio. But in the past few years Rocinha has evolved into a relatively safe community with the installation of police stations and the expulsion of the drug loads who used to be the real rulers of the place. There is also a public bus that used to be considered unsafe for the same reasons. Nowadays, I would say that these alternatives are just as safe as anything else in Rio, but if you can get a yellow cab (not the hotel 'car service') the ride will be cheap and quick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.