Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Crystal City, VA (was Sheraton) [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Crystal City, VA (was Sheraton) [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: Does it matter any more?
Originally Posted by silentbob1974
What are your priorities during the stay itself? Crystal City is literally next to DCA and much closer to Georgetown than Alexandria. My sense is that the Westin rooms will be much nicer (i.e., less worn) than those at the Sheraton, but there really aren't any suites at the Westin. You're right though that Old Town is way more interesting than CC.
Not much,
  1. Avoid renting a car (Metro or Uber in that order, I don't mind walking if its outside of 1100-1900 local time when I expect the sun/humidity will be high)
  2. Get to the property from Georgetown and to DCA the next day
  3. A quiet comfortable place to work on Monday through 4 pm - multiple online calls/meetings.
  4. Breakfast
  5. Some convenient, quick place nearby to grab lunch
  6. Redeem points

Given the earlier comments about the Sheraton Old Town suites having forced air leading to poor air conditioning, that definitely dings the choice given I'll be working for several hours on Monday.

I will likely cancel my Sheraton Old Town Suites booking in favor of the Westin Crystal City.
Old May 8, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by legionnaire
Not much,
  1. Avoid renting a car (Metro or Uber in that order, I don't mind walking if its outside of 1100-1900 local time when I expect the sun/humidity will be high)
  2. Some convenient, quick place nearby to grab lunch
Crystal City hits both of these. Even if you want to pop out at say 1400 to grab lunch the entrance to Crystal City shops is right there & they have AC. Good Stuff Eatery & We the Pizza down toward the other end of the shops, but I'll recommend them.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by travellingcari
Crystal City hits both of these. Even if you want to pop out at say 1400 to grab lunch the entrance to Crystal City shops is right there & they have AC. Good Stuff Eatery & We the Pizza down toward the other end of the shops, but I'll recommend them.
Indeed,looking at the map, it does. Thank you for the input.

Its now boiling down to either this place or the Marriott Crystal Gateway across the road. The Marriott Crystal GW gets me breakfast as an SPG gold.

w.r.t points, the Westin CC is 10000 while the Marriott C GW is 30000, with points transferring 1:3 from SPG to Marriott - the point spend is the same, making it a non-factor.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Its now boiling down to either this place or the Marriott Crystal Gateway across the road. The Marriott Crystal GW gets me breakfast as an SPG gold.

w.r.t points, the Westin CC is 10000 while the Marriott C GW is 30000, with points transferring 1:3 from SPG to Marriott - the point spend is the same, making it a non-factor.
I think the Marriott C-GW underwent renovation recently & you get full brekkie as a Gold. Saw this in the family thread in the Marriott forum. "I can confirm that the M Lounge breakfast is the restaurant's full buffet breakfast, so for many that is a huge plus...biscuits and gravy, made to order omelettes and waffles, lox with traditional accompaniments, etc."

It sounds like either the Westin or the M-GW would work for you, but if free brekkie is one of your factors that would tip it to the Marriott GW.

Cheers.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
It sounds like either the Westin or the M-GW would work for you, but if free brekkie is one of your factors that would tip it to the Marriott GW.
Indeed. And your diligence in keeping the lounge thread over on the Marriott forum has been invaluable. Thank you.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:21 am

Yeah, unless you need the SPG night from staying at the Westin for qualifying purposes, the Marriott might be better. I'm also not a huge fan of the Crystal Drive restaurants -- my office is right across the street. The Marriott also puts you in closer walking distance of better restaurants in Pentagon City, as well as Whole Foods and Costco.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by silentbob1974
Yeah, unless you need the SPG night from staying at the Westin for qualifying purposes, the Marriott might be better. I'm also not a huge fan of the Crystal Drive restaurants -- my office is right across the street. The Marriott also puts you in closer walking distance of better restaurants in Pentagon City, as well as Whole Foods and Costco.
Re-qual is not a factor that would drive a stay at Westin. Just that I haven't stayed at US Westin's and the pictures of the work desk seem that it would serve well enough for the 8-9 hrs of work I need to wrap up that Monday. The chairs at the desk in the C-GW Marriott don't seem height adjustable - I will call and ask the property itself.
Old May 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.

I stayed at the Marriott last summer and it was fine. I can't speak to the desk height issue as I'm short and didn't spend much time working while there, but it was a fine experience. Nothing that wowed, but nothing that turned me off. I'd say all things equal aside from breakfast tipping it Marriott's way
Old May 10, 2017, 11:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
AA Trout posted in the Marriott forum re: both Westin & Gateway, but also had some good information re: area, etc. Info in this post/link:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28293205-post256.html

Cheers.
Old Jun 14, 2017, 2:17 pm

Wrong thread. Will post elsewhere.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
The platinum breakfast is a $16 voucher, which covers the continental breakfast. I took the points instead since there are plenty of restaurants in the crystal city shops nearby.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mediator
The platinum breakfast is a $16 voucher, which covers the continental breakfast. I took the points instead since there are plenty of restaurants in the crystal city shops nearby.
IIRC, it's only a $2 upcharge to the American breakfast which is very nice. I guess if it's only 1 guest starting for 1 night it might make sense to go to Au Bon Pain instead.

Last edited by RafKa; Dec 11, 2017 at 12:59 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by mediator
Wow it was US$24 last year when I stayed in April...
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:28 pm

I'm torn. I bounce between this and the Hilton when I stay in Crystal City. I'll be down for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in April and this one is way higher than every other CC hotel that weekend. Any recent upgrades that make it worth it? Last stay was early summer and there wasn't anything by then. Honestly thinking of the Embassy Suites which is marginally further from the Metro but nearly $200 cheaper over a three night stay. I love the hotel but just don't see the value
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by travellingcari
I'm torn. I bounce between this and the Hilton when I stay in Crystal City. I'll be down for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler in April and this one is way higher than every other CC hotel that weekend. Any recent upgrades that make it worth it? Last stay was early summer and there wasn't anything by then. Honestly thinking of the Embassy Suites which is marginally further from the Metro but nearly $200 cheaper over a three night stay. I love the hotel but just don't see the value
I can't imagine choosing the dated, Watergate era Hilton over this Westin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.