Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:51 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by margarita girl

FYI, this happened on my Nov statement, the one where I earned the 15K bonus points. On Dec statement, things were back to normal.

Thanks MG Fluke sounds more likely than the story the agent spun for me. It really sounded ridiculous but there was no point arguing with her.

* And note the Statement advises me to check SPG.COM - which won't even exist soon.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 6:22 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by damon88
.... CSA specifically told me the change was due to Business owners requesting the info be redacted from statements so that employees/bookkeepers would not see the point balances.
I have no opinion on the accuracy of the agent's explanation, but it is plausible. For a long while some business owners have complained that American Express's system make it easy for employees to see the owner's rewards balance, and from that to estimate aggregate spending. An effective remedy would not only remove this information from paper/PDF statements, but also from employee logins.

However, I really would expect to see this fixed first on cards that earn Membership Rewards, and then copied over to the co-branded cards.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
If you have an active SPG Business card please let me know if your SPG points are detailed on your January 2019 statement.

For the first time ever, my Statement that closed a few days ago is blank in the upper right hand corner where the points are typically listed and there is no detail at the bottom of the statement.

I just called CS and after 10 minutes on hold the agent told me that her supervisor informed her that going forward “for security purposes “ points will not be listed on our Business statements anymore.

This sounds like pure unadulterated BS IMHO but she insisted the information is accurate.

Please let me know if you see your points on your SPG statement.

The only reason I am still using my SPG Biz card anyways is a combo of a) laziness, inertia and habit b) the fact that I have so many autopay accounts set up c) my high (over 50K) credit limit d) Amex roped me in with 40000 bonus point offer for spend a few months ago.

But if this is true it will push me to Ink.

Appreciate any data you can provide.

I have an SPG Amex Luxury Personal card which closed on 1/16 and points were not shown. I added up the SPG/Marriott charges and the restaurant charges to ensure what posted to my Marriott account was correct. It was.

This is the first statement since 2005 that hasn't shown the points earned in the current period.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by controller1
I have an SPG Amex Luxury Personal card which closed on 1/16 and points were not shown. I added up the SPG/Marriott charges and the restaurant charges to ensure what posted to my Marriott account was correct. It was.

This is the first statement since 2005 that hasn't shown the points earned in the current period.
Same here. Points were correct so I didn’t sweat it.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
The recent January statement for my SPG Luxury (personal) card didn't show points. I had an upgrade bonus awarded during the billing cycle, though. We'll see if points are reported again on next month's statement.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 9:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mia
I have no opinion on the accuracy of the agent's explanation, but it is plausible. For a long while some business owners have complained that American Express's system make it easy for employees to see the owner's rewards balance, and from that to estimate aggregate spending. An effective remedy would not only remove this information from paper/PDF statements, but also from employee logins.

However, I really would expect to see this fixed first on cards that earn Membership Rewards, and then copied over to the co-branded cards.

Hmmmm interesting

She put me on hold for a very long time and when she came back she was quite adamant.

The part that doesn’t make sense to me is that the Marriott activity doesn’t include explanations— there are separate entries for regular earning points, hotels etc without any explicit breakdown.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
It does all make sense though with Marriott's macro goal of reducing transparency across the board, so...
Old Jan 20, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob

The part that doesn’t make sense to me is that the Marriott activity doesn’t include explanations— there are separate entries for regular earning points, hotels etc without any explicit breakdown.
I have both the Cdn and US Amex cards, and the points are calculated differently. (I did mention that I'm a nerd with spreadsheets and I keep track everything, right? I'm Marriott IT's worst nightmare. )

For the US card, the points are calculated as follows:
(Total spend) X 2 + (Marriott spend) X 4

For the Cdn card, the points are calculated like this:
(Non-Marriott spend) X 2 + (Marriott spend) X 5

(The Cdn card only gives 5 points/$ vs the 6 pts/$ on the US card for Marriott spend.)
Old Jan 20, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Is it just me or did AMEX remove the ability to refer people for the SPG AMEX Cards? I have two colleagues who are interested in signing up and wanted to earn the referral bonuses but I can't find the link that actually refers the SPG cards just the Delta cards within my account.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Is it just me or did AMEX remove the ability to refer people for the SPG AMEX Cards? I have two colleagues who are interested in signing up and wanted to earn the referral bonuses but I can't find the link that actually refers the SPG cards just the Delta cards within my account.
It is still available on my card, through the Amex website not the Marriott/SPG website.

Here is what it says: You can earn: 20,000 bonus points for each approved referral – up to 55,000 bonus points per calendar year.

Each friend can earn: 75,000 bonus points after they use their new Card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Offer ends 10/31/2019. Your friend will also be able to choose from a variety of American Express Personal and Business Card Offers. You can receive your referral bonus no matter what Card your friend is approved for.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:13 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Start here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/refernav/

After you login, note that you can scroll right/left to choose the card that you wish to refer.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 2:41 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I have both the Cdn and US Amex cards, and the points are calculated differently. (I did mention that I'm a nerd with spreadsheets and I keep track everything, right? I'm Marriott IT's worst nightmare. )

For the US card, the points are calculated as follows:
(Total spend) X 2 + (Marriott spend) X 4

For the Cdn card, the points are calculated like this:
(Non-Marriott spend) X 2 + (Marriott spend) X 5

(The Cdn card only gives 5 points/$ vs the 6 pts/$ on the US card for Marriott spend.)

Sorry- I meant that without the Amex breakdown- Marriott activity just lists numbers.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mia
Start here:

https://www.americanexpress.com/refernav/

After you login, note that you can scroll right/left to choose the card that you wish to refer.
That's what I did but I only see the DL card and not the SPG card for referring.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:52 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Has anyone gotten their 15 elite night credits yet? Still have yet to see mine post.
Old Jan 23, 2019, 7:57 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
FYI - this card will become the "Marriott Bonvoy American Express" card in February. Also,

"In addition, starting February 24, 2019, Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card Members whose accounts were opened before January 23, 2019 will be eligible to earn up to 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points. Once registered, eligible Card Members can earn 25,000 bonus points for every $25,000 in eligible purchases on the Card, for up to 100,000 points through the end of the year. Eligible Card Members will receive more information about this offer, including the relevant terms and how to register their Card soon."

So for each $25,000 in spending, customers earn at least 75,000 Marriott points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.