Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 9:43 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Originally Posted by peters4n6
Forgive me the question but I cannot figure this out from the FAQ sticky or even from combination of search terms: Platinum status can be achieved with 25 stays or 50 nights in a calendar year. How long does the status last once gotten? A year? The remainder of that calendar year?

Also, is there a thread discussing strategies to get Plat as cheaply and/or as quickly as possible? Thanks
If attained 50 nights/ 25 stays by March 31st, status lasts until February 2013. If April 1st or after, it's good until February 2014. If you want to get plat cheaply, search threads as there's many out there.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:14 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
You're doing the right thing pursuing them. They've got a long history of screwing up this promotion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...us-points.html

I had the problem (as you can see in the thread) but they eventually did make good. A Social Media Inquiry was the key back then, but skim the thread for the details.
points finally showed up in my account . no secure message on their part. no idea why we have to fight and fight to get what we are supposed to get.

summary:
1. signed up for the correct promotion well before the expiration date
1a. earn the first spend bonus
2. am told 2 months after meeting required spend that i will get the second set of bonus
points within 12 weeks of spend as I am 100% correct about what i am owed
3. after 13+ weeks, no bonus
4. am told they will investigate
5. am then told I did not qualify for this promotion as I didn't apply before
promo expired
6. i mention i did qualify as promo expired 2 months after i applied
7. once again I am told no i didn't apply in time
8. then told supervisor will look at it and if they think i deserve the points i will
get them
9. points show up

what a waste of my time. why can't they get these SPG promos correct?
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:33 am

I had an Amex SPG account before. Signed up Aug 2007 and closed it Aug 2008. I got a 15k bonus back then for it.

Just recently signed up for 25k bonus SPG card on 10/2011.
Never got 10k for 1st purchase bonus. I emailed them and never heard back. I finished the spending requirement ($5k in 6 months) and just got the 15k bonus for that....

So now I am torn. Do I press them about the 10k bonus with the risk that they claim I was never approved for bonus since I had the card in the past. Or do I just take the 15k bonus and move on.

Thoughts? I read that they claim 2 years since last account is what they consider NEW Member hence why I tried for this bonus again.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NatasNJ
I had an Amex SPG account before. Signed up Aug 2007 and closed it Aug 2008. I got a 15k bonus back then for it.

Just recently signed up for 25k bonus SPG card on 10/2011.
Never got 10k for 1st purchase bonus. I emailed them and never heard back. I finished the spending requirement ($5k in 6 months) and just got the 15k bonus for that....

So now I am torn. Do I press them about the 10k bonus with the risk that they claim I was never approved for bonus since I had the card in the past. Or do I just take the 15k bonus and move on.

Thoughts? I read that they claim 2 years since last account is what they consider NEW Member hence why I tried for this bonus again.
I've always heard the 2-year timeframe on this card also, so I'd press them for the full bonus.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 2:51 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by NatasNJ
Do I press them about the 10k bonus with the risk that they claim I was never approved for bonus since I had the card in the past.
Definitely.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA EXP, Starwood Gold
I went through the same situation with them, I signed up using a referred link and met the $15k spending requirement and did not have my miles posted until about 10 calls including supervisors etc. After about 15 weeks my points were posted (15,000) bonus were posted as "Complimentary".
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by mwood86
If attained 50 nights/ 25 stays by March 31st, status lasts until February 2013. If April 1st or after, it's good until February 2014. If you want to get plat cheaply, search threads as there's many out there.
Same with attaining Gold via the $30K spend on SPG Amex? Meaning am I better off waiting to April 1 to spend the last of the $30K to extend Gold for a year?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by pwm112
Same with attaining Gold via the $30K spend on SPG Amex? Meaning am I better off waiting to April 1 to spend the last of the $30K to extend Gold for a year?
bumping myself - anyone know?
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
I think that SPG Gold via 30K spend is for Jan 1st - Dec 31st spending.
So if I understand your question correctly, splitting it up from one year to April of the following year will not work.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by tattikat2
I think that SPG Gold via 30K spend is for Jan 1st - Dec 31st spending.
So if I understand your question correctly, splitting it up from one year to April of the following year will not work.
No - what I mean is staring in Jan of this year till sometime in the short future, I will put $30K on the card. I do not anticipate doing this next year. My question is, should I wait till a certain point this year (after Feb 29? after Mar 31?) to put the last of the $30K on the card to elongate the gold status? Or does it not matter?
Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:49 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Oh I see now.
As far as I know, it won't effect the length of your gold status. If you spent 30k in a year, you'll be gold for the next membership year.
But... I could be wrong, or missing the finer " nuances" of the spg program being as it takes me all year to reach 30k of spending
Old Feb 5, 2012, 1:15 pm

If I remember correctly you will go gold soon after you hit 30k in spend, and then remain gold for the remainder of the current year and the entire subsequent calendar year. So, in essence, if you were to spend 30K sooner, you would be gold longer.

This might not be exactly correct but if I remember correctly it is what happened to me.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Palaimo
If I remember correctly you will go gold soon after you hit 30k in spend, and then remain gold for the remainder of the current year and the entire subsequent calendar year. So, in essence, if you were to spend 30K sooner, you would be gold longer.

This might not be exactly correct but if I remember correctly it is what happened to me.
Pretty sure that's it. Once you've hit 30k on the card (in a calendar year) you are Gold for the rest of that year and all of the rest...and I think even through February of the 3rd year...but someone can correct me on that if I'm mistaken.
Old Feb 5, 2012, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by tattikat2
Oh I see now.
As far as I know, it won't effect the length of your gold status. If you spent 30k in a year, you'll be gold for the next membership year.
But... I could be wrong, or missing the finer " nuances" of the spg program being as it takes me all year to reach 30k of spending
- well - like I said - I don't see doing it next year

thanks all
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:08 pm

Why not? SPG points are still golden!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.