Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:24 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Sheraton HK - Difference between Tower Suite and Harbour View Suite ?

I'm about to book a long weekend at Sheraton HK (Spring 2019) and I'm a bit confused about the difference between the two types of Suits on offer for only HKD 5'300 per night including airport limo transfer and breakfast.

Both have Harbour view (which is a must) but the rest makes no sense to me.

So, what does this mean in relation to breakfast: "Harbour View Suites are located in both the Main House and the Towers. The Suites in the Towers include exclusive access to the Towers Lounge"? We'd prefer to have breakfast in a restaurant type setting rather than the usual lounge setting (unless the Sheraton HK lounge is quiet enough during the weekend)...

Also,

Tower Suite: 571-786 ft² / 53-73 m²
Harbour View Suite: 786-829 ft² / 73-77 m²

20m² difference is quite a bit I'd say so leaning towards the Harbour View Suite - lounge access is not that important as there are enough of brilliant food offerings around the city which we'll be doing instead of feeling "obliged" to use a lounge...

So which one (for the ones of you have stayed in both or know what this ia all about) should one go for?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Anything modified by Towers means a hotel within the hotel on the top floors with its own more exclusive and nicer lounge with a view. IIRC this property has a regular Sheraton club lounge on a low floor without a view. The Harbor View suites might have a full view of the harbor, but you would not have access to the Towers lounge. OTOH, I believe that there are some Towers suites with side rather than full harbor views; there might also be suites on the back of the hotel without water views.

Rules say that you don't get an upgrade to a Towers room or Towers suite unless you pay a Towers rate.
Cupart likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have not stayed post Aug 18 but...

1) towers rooms give you full breakfast on top floor while plats can choose breakfast in main lobby.

Frankly I like breakfast in both spots. Ground floor might be a little more crowded but has a little more choice but barely.

These both are full, excellent buffets

2) towers lounge is nice. Regular lounge for plats is one of the worst in Asia. I hate it.

Overall property is nice because of location and service. i have been staying there regularly for 15 years but switched to JW this year because lounge and suites better (i dont care about view).

​​​​​​​Redemption rates same at both properties but JW far more expensive. I will take Sheraton at low cash rate
Cupart likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 6:18 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Originally Posted by Cupart

Both have Harbour view (which is a must) but the rest makes no sense to me.

So, what does this mean in relation to breakfast: "Harbour View Suites are located in both the Main House and the Towers. The Suites in the Towers include exclusive access to the Towers Lounge"? We'd prefer to have breakfast in a restaurant type setting rather than the usual lounge setting (unless the Sheraton HK lounge is quiet enough during the weekend)...

Also,

Tower Suite: 571-786 ft² / 53-73 m²
Harbour View Suite: 786-829 ft² / 73-77 m²

20m² difference is quite a bit I'd say so leaning towards the Harbour View Suite - lounge access is not that important as there are enough of brilliant food offerings around the city which we'll be doing instead of feeling "obliged" to use a lounge...

I just got back form the Sheraton Hong Kong last week (post merger) - the week of Typhoon Mangkhut hitting Hong Kong. I supposed to have Five Star + Ambassador but I didn't get the ambassador until this week. The hotel also aren't up to speed on various platinum levels. When I checked in, the manger showed up to say "hi" and welcome me back again and I was referred as a Plat (just like those SPG years - which is fine). What is different was I was given a corner ocean view suite that I upon checking the room kindly requested a downgrade back to my preferred high floor front and center unblocked ocean view room. I have been staying at this hotel each visit to Hong Kong since 2006 so it's more than a decade. The hotel kept has my full stay history.

The top two floors of the Sheraton are considered "Tower Floors". It's like the Vegas version of "hotel inside a hotel" that gives someone a feeling of exclusiveness. The hard product of full harbor view room (not suite) between the tower rooms (ie top two floor) and a high floor is negligible.

The "tower" difference other than price offers a little something extra (if I remember correctly)
1) Access to the Tower Lounge for snack and drinks
- before the recent upgrade to the Platinum lounge, the gap between Tower Lounge and Platinum windowless lounge was huge
- with the recent upgrade to the Platinum lounge, there is a partial view of the Ocean and windows, the gap has shrunk. The food is slightly better with nicer cakes in the Tower lounge... but you always buy just as nice of cakes at the local bakery that is everywhere
- the view is the full harbor I recall - which is the same as the one from your harbor view room. My best memory was using the tower lounge at late night with the lights turned off and only me and a girl as we chat and allow the natural lights of the city shine into the tower lounge. It was pretty romantic. We only chatted... nothing else happened of course.
2) Some daily credit for laundry
- you're a block away (5 min walk) from a full-service laundry mat... I normally bring my full bag of laundry there
- of course if money isn't much problem, Sheraton Hong Kong welcomes your extra patronage
3) Choice of having breakfast at the Lounge, the Oyster Bar (top floor restaurant) or the full buffet on the hotel lobby
- if you are Platinum member, you get the full buffet included in your hotel fee. The addition of the Oyster Bar breakfast option is ok if you like your morning extra quiet with a full view of the ocean (which you should be waking up to if you have a harbor view room)
- because the Oyster Bar restaurant is full serve, you're food quality is higher. The buffet has more diversity. I eat like a pig in the morning so I always choose the buffet and show up with my bed head.
- my mom likes to spend 2 hours in the buffet and her high maintenance would have drive the waiter crazy if she was eating at the Oyster Bar Restaurant.

All rooms on top two floors are "Tower Rooms/Suites". That doesn't mean all the Tower rooms/Suites are Ocean Viewing. Just like the lower floors, there are Suites and rooms that look at the City or ahem.. a construction zone. So if you're getting a Tower Suite and you want an Ocean view, get the Ocean View Tower Suite (more expensive).

The Ocean View Suite is just that. A Suite with an Ocean View and not on the Tower Floors. It's also slightly tricky. Lower levels you have your ocean view partially blocked by buildings across. Because where the Ocean view suites are located, I don't know if all of them offer as good as an unblock view as the best Ocean view room. I was only upgraded to an Partial Ocean View Suite exactly once (ie last week) and I still preferred my old room harbour view room. I immediately had a bad omen when I couldn't find my room in the Ocean side of the wing and had to go to the "other" wing and confirmed my fear of a not-complete Ocean View room. But to the hotel's defense, the hotel was full due to people hunkering down for the incoming Typhoon Mangkhut in addition to high tourist season guests. I returned to check-in desk politely asked for a downgrade to my old full ocean view high floor room ( I waited for it to clean and got it). If you thought the Five Star status will yield the penthouse, it's not happening. Hong Kong was my home and growing up always seeing the harbor (abet from HK side looking at Kowloon), I really like that view to feel more like I have returned home. So I always preferred an unblocked full Ocean view.

That's my feedback.
Cupart, ralphs and joakgarp like this.

Last edited by yeunganson; Sep 22, 2018 at 6:27 pm
Old Sep 23, 2018, 12:20 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Thank you so much yeungansonfor the brilliant and very detailed reply. Highly highly appreciated indeed.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Stayed here way back in 2014...coming back to HK in early 2019...

Any other suggestions for hotels near here?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a Hyatt Regency a couple blocks away. Closer to the Star Ferry terminal there's the Peninsula, the YMCA hotel, IC and a Latham IIRC, plus one at the top of the historic shopping area, maybe called something like the 1812 which looks interesting. On top of the express train station there's a W and a RC (very high floors only), both with very high swimming pools.
lax01 likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Delta Skymiles Platinum
Originally Posted by lax01
Stayed here way back in 2014...coming back to HK in early 2019...

Any other suggestions for hotels near here?
There aren't any other "Starriott" properties in the immediate area. Before the merger, when I needed to be on Kowloon side, I stayed for years at the Hyatt Regency TST. A very solid 4* property. My last few Kowloon side stays since the merger have been at the Sheraton. It is always 1 or 2 nights so I don't take full advantage of everything it has to offer. It's not a 5* property. But it's still more than fine. It's an older property but well maintained and of course, the location is great and the views are spectacular if you have a harbour view room.
lax01 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Planning our first trip to HK for spring and been following this thread for some time. We'll do plenty of walking and travelling in HK as it will be our first time and to see the tourist spots. Will mix with 2 nights in Macau as well so probably looking for a 9 night stay in total. 7 nights in HK and 2 nights in Macau. The location for Sheraton looks great on google maps.
Won't be using our room other than sleep, lounge snacks and drinks and a hotel that's up to date but also cost efficiency. Sheraton HK is a pretty old building right? Renovated back in 2014, there are still signs of age? Is the Tower the most renovated building with better rooms? We don't care so much about views but we try to stay away from old dated rooms.

The room rates in HK looks to be in favor for Sheraton, next price point is the W and then JW Marriott. Not sure of the last two as we frankly won't be in need of a luxury hotel that much since it's our first time in HK. Could probably end our trip with 1-2 nights in W or JW after our two nights in Macau. Any thoughts or recommendations?
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:13 am

The W is very convenient before a flight from HKG as the airport express train station is underneath the shopping mall connected to the hotel. The same is true for the RC. It's a very good W and isn't dark like so many Ws are.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2018, 4:24 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
As a tourist, based in your wants, I'd take Sheraton first, JW 2nd followed by Renaissance. Sheraton is a fun, lively more gritty area while JW is like living in a bustling finance district. Personally I far prefer SH area but like JW property more. But if SH cheaper I'd take it.

HK easy to get around via MTR. Very easy.

All 3 properties have easy walking distance to neat areas. I am just not a fan of Renaissance hardware.

While W is physically nice, the location is not good for walking around outside. It is attached to airport train station and a so so mall. Nothing particulrly HK or iconic about it
​​​​
ESpen36, MW147 and joakgarp like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:10 am

Thanks for the hotel advices guys. Have an up coming four night reservation during easter with a nice LNF rate for Sheraton Hong Kong. Only reserved a room for a regular Superior room. Did the hotel decide not to offer point upgrades to the tower at all? Could be worth around 20 000 points if we'd get a renovated room, breakfast etc. Thought I read that somewhere. The rate difference was 350 euro so went with the cheaper rate of course. Could email the hotel but thought I'd ask first.
But again first time in HK and we won't be that much in our room.

After Sheraton we'll go to Macau for two nights and stay at either JW or Sheraton and then we end with JW HK for the last four nights. Been all around Asia but first time in HK so glad to finally mark this city on my bucket list
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Thanks for the hotel advices guys. Have an up coming four night reservation during easter with a nice LNF rate for Sheraton Hong Kong. Only reserved a room for a regular Superior room. Did the hotel decide not to offer point upgrades to the tower at all? Could be worth around 20 000 points if we'd get a renovated room, breakfast etc. Thought I read that somewhere. The rate difference was 350 euro so went with the cheaper rate of course. Could email the hotel but thought I'd ask first.
But again first time in HK and we won't be that much in our room.

After Sheraton we'll go to Macau for two nights and stay at either JW or Sheraton and then we end with JW HK for the last four nights. Been all around Asia but first time in HK so glad to finally mark this city on my bucket list
I only staid one night at this property but was rather confused by the "Tower Lounge". I was on the 16th floor and just walked into the Tower lounge and helped myself without anyone saying anything. They also comped my breakfast at the top floor restaurant that was only supposed to be available to Tower guests. I would not pay for the Tower Lounge unless you really enjoy lounges and the mediocre food served in them.

Overall, it's disappointing this property does not do complimentary upgrades to Tower rooms when they are in their pool for SNAs. My thought was always if the room is in the SNA pool, it should be eligible for a complimentary upgrade.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, Marriott
Sheraton Hong Kong

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers

Map| 2 Reviews | 0% Recommended

20 Nathan Road Tsim Sha Tsui Kowloon, HK

Sheraton Hong Kong (0 Photo)

In the last six weeks I have stayed at 6 Starwood properties. Each of them has given me a very good room. The W in Bangkok couldn’t have treated me better. Now I am at the Sheraton Hong Kong. The room I have for a Gold Elite member is on the tenth floor, and very basic. It is supposed to be a “deluxe” room, but there is not a single thing deluxe about it. It’s basic hotel room. The check-in clerk could see that I use a cane, but my room is as far from the elevator as can be. It’s a long walk. Speaking of the elevators, they are quite slow.

So to find out the difference between regular and deluxe rooms, I signed on and tried to book a room here. The first thing I noticed is that the prices are down considerably from when I booked. Not just a few dollars. But I couldn’t find the difference between regular and deluxe. They don’t tell you. Only money seems to make it different. Granted, the hotel is very crowded, as is the city. The hotel is well-located. But I feel that they saw me as a nice, gullible old man who wouldn’t know a good room from a bad oneI got a bad room. The line to speak to a clerk is long, so I write here this review, This is a very disappointing stop.

Sheraton Hong Kong

Would you like to write a review on the Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 13, 2019, 2:49 am

Asked by email if they had any point upgrade offers and received a reply back they don't offer any point upgrades and also explained how their upgrade policy works like and as my room is in the main building is therefor not granted for an upgrade to the tower building.
Was offered a limited daily upgrade fee of 700hkd + 10% service charge to a tower room. Offer to expire on 18/1. With all of the information in this thread and recent posts I think I'm safe so say we will be happy with our room in main building. Maybe try tower building next visit in hk when we know the town a little bit better and could spend more time in the lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.