Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 4:13 am

Programs: SQ PPS UA 1K MM
Without going through this thread.. I can say that The Danieli is an aweful place. The management is awful, the staff is awful, and actually Starwood lost a lot of business from me and others because of this hotel. I am still with SPG, but will Never stay in a starwood hotel in Italy just in protest, and starwood has lost a lot of money because of this... I may go into details one day, but for the moment, If you are looking for a nice place in Venice, there are other options.. Some staff there including the manager should be working at a Motel Six in Tiajuana... Just seeing Danieli brings me grief towards Starwood
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:00 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Reefdiver
Without going through this thread.. I can say that The Danieli is an aweful place. The management is awful, the staff is awful, and actually Starwood lost a lot of business from me and others because of this hotel.
Which is an amazing statement since I'd declare my last stay at the Danieli as one of the most memorable, wonderful hotel stays of a lifetime. We were treated graciously by the GM and his staff and the GM visited our suite to recount the history of the hotel itself and point out a number of historical curiousities about the property.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:31 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
...and my stay a couple of years ago was also totally memorable,. in a very positive way. This is a great hotel.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 6:45 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
I think we need to hear the details of the bad stay.
Old Oct 16, 2009, 12:36 am

Programs: Starwood, United, Alaska Air
Hotel Danieli in Venice Italy

I have searched the forum and can not find info on Hotel Danieli that is recent. I want to stay here in Sept 2011. Anyone stayed here recently?
Also, any recommendations on when I should book. There are no real specials that far out yet. Any ideas?
Thanks
Ps. I did spend alot of time looking in the forums and only found old stuff on this hotel. Did I miss a current thread?

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Oct 16, 2009 at 1:34 am Reason: Merged into master thread without edit
Old Oct 16, 2009, 7:13 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
FWIW, just booked a night at the hotel for next summer - we're on a cruise leaving from Venice.

Had to choose between C&P and all points. The Danieli has a Junior Suite which, according to the website, does have a separate living room area. We decided to go with the small additional upgrade, which you can't do with C&P

Instead of 8,000 pts + $150, we were charged 20,000 + and addl 2,500 for the Junior Suite. Looking at the price of the Junior Suite, seems like a very good deal.

Now we can hope that status gets us even more but it's nice to have a guarantee.

My hope - beautiful hotel and room. In terms of the other stuff, we'll get by. I've seen good concierges and bad ones. The latter does affect my feelings about the hotel but never affects my vacation! At least we on FlyerTalk are lucky enough to know going in that we need to be cautious about their restaurant recommendations.!
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Plat
Just back from a pre-cruise stay. Only spent one night as we'd been to Venice before. Booked it using one of our free weekend nights.

Desk clerk welcomed me back to the hotel, we'd spent three nights there about five years ago. She offered me an upgrade to a JR suite in the historic building if we were willing to wait an hour. We left our luggage with the bellman and went to St Marks Square for a very expensive beer. Room was ready when we got back.

The room was on the 1st (European) floor. It had a small sitting room and bed room that were divided by heavy curtains. A long hallway led from the door to the sitting room w/ another door at that end of the hall which could be closed for extra sound proofing. On the left side of the hallway was the bathroom which was marble and of good size. A large closet/dressing room was on the right of the hallway. The bedroom and sitting room each had a window that overlooked the lagoon. As with all lagoon facing rooms at the Danieli, there is a very busy sidewalk between the hotel and the lagoon. There is also a vaporetto stop right there. So, noise is an issue.

The public areas of the hotel are as beautiful as ever. Since it was late summer, the rooftop terrace was still open. They open it as a bar between lunch and dinner. So, we were able to sit and enjoy the view for a fraction of what a meal would have cost.

All in all, it was a great use of a free night.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
We had an excellent 2-night stay here last month. As a Gold, paying with points (20k+2.5k per night for a Junior Suite), we were upgraded to an Executive Suite, which was just incredible. It was very richly decorated, with marble everywhere in the bathroom and some excellent 100ml toiletries.

It was very convenient, with the water bus stop right in front of the hotel.

The only problem we had (which we never bothered to report) was that the room was very hot. We turned the air down as cold as it would go (and even turned the fan off), but the only way we could keep the room comfortable was to open the balcony door. (It was about 30-40 F outside while we were there.)

We found an incredible pastry shop, Le Bonifacio, just around the corner from the hotel. Going out the front, turn right towards St. Mark's. At the end of the hotel, there's a really narrow alley (it's very easy to miss!). Turn right there, and it's about 2/3rds of the way down on the right (Calle Albanesi 4237). Fabulous pastries were all just 1 Euro each, and Cappuccinos were 1.2 Euros. The almond croissants were out of this world.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
We had an excellent 2-night stay here last month. As a Gold, paying with points (20k+2.5k per night for a Junior Suite), we were upgraded to an Executive Suite, which was just incredible. It was very richly decorated, with marble everywhere in the bathroom and some excellent 100ml toiletries.

It was very convenient, with the water bus stop right in front of the hotel.

The only problem we had (which we never bothered to report) was that the room was very hot. We turned the air down as cold as it would go (and even turned the fan off), but the only way we could keep the room comfortable was to open the balcony door. (It was about 30-40 F outside while we were there.)

We found an incredible pastry shop, Le Bonifacio, just around the corner from the hotel. Going out the front, turn right towards St. Mark's. At the end of the hotel, there's a really narrow alley (it's very easy to miss!). Turn right there, and it's about 2/3rds of the way down on the right (Calle Albanesi 4237). Fabulous pastries were all just 1 Euro each, and Cappuccinos were 1.2 Euros. The almond croissants were out of this world.
Hmmm, now you have thrown a spanner in the works. I have a C&P reservation at the Westin E&R but have been considering changing to an award for a suite. Venice is the one stop on our trip where I'd like to be sure we get a nice room. A suite at the Westin is 24K per night so maybe a junior suite at the Danieli is better value at 22.5K. I really like the location of the Danieli (stayed at the Metropole years ago) but I'm not exactly sure where the Westin is (I know it's not far).

One thing is for sure, I'll be visiting that pastry shop.
Old Mar 24, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Does anyone know if this hotel is closer to the Mestre or S Lucia train station?
Old Mar 24, 2010, 11:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ *G, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador Elite LFT Titanium , Hyatt Discoverist, ALL Diamond
Mestre is on dry land, Santa Lucia is the train station.
Santa Lucia is the nearest of the 2 and the entry point to Venice by train.
The Danieli is quite a distance from the station but you can take the vaporetto line 1 or 2 from Santa Lucia to the Danieli.
The vaporetto stop for the Danieli is San Zaccaria - Piazza San Marco
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Thanks, JohnSIN!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by JohnSIN
Mestre is on dry land, Santa Lucia is the train station.
Santa Lucia is the nearest of the 2 and the entry point to Venice by train.
The Danieli is quite a distance from the station but you can take the vaporetto line 1 or 2 from Santa Lucia to the Danieli.
The vaporetto stop for the Danieli is San Zaccaria - Piazza San Marco
I recently made the walk, with rollerboard, from Europa Regina to S Lucia in about 35 minutes. Early morning, no crowds, I would add 5 minutes from the Danieli. Mind you, water taxi would be quicker, but I knew I wouldn't get a workout on this particular day so was eager to do the walk. It is a cinch.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 12:35 pm

Programs: USAIR gold, HH diamond, SPG gold
Originally Posted by MichaelColey
A report would have been useless. The government doesn't allow hotels to even turn on their airconditioning systems until May or June.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
They didn't need the A/C on. They just needed to turn the heat down. We had to leave the balcony door open, with near freezing weather outside, just to keep it comfortable in the room.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.