Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2014, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Westin Osaka - Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2006, 12:35 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
JR train (made the mistake of taking the "rapid" train, which was far from rapid)
Offtopic:

JR has many categories of trains, from Local to SuperLimitedExpress. Rapid faster but not the fastest, its actually the 2nd slowest category. The Haruka (with one local train change) to Osaka Station takes about 55 minutes. A direct rapid train to Osaka station is about 65 minutes. Airport limobuses take a little over an hour. If you factor all these options, there's only about a 10-15 minute travel time difference which is comparable with the other 2 options, especially if you factor in if you miss a transfer for the Haruka or run into traffic on the Limobus.

As for the Hyatt over the Westin in Kyoto, the Hyatt is a brand new hotel (totally renovated-gutted an old hotel building) that recently opened. The Westin is a much older hotel, I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of reviews go with the Hyatt. However, having stayed at the Westin I enjoy it, plus I value my SPG points more.
Old Jul 10, 2006, 6:58 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
You will. I will put it under the Hyatt forum as we have few reports on the Hyatt Kyoto. We are two nights at the Hyatt followed with a stay at the Westin Miyako also. If the Westin opened up we would stay those two nights there. Will post later this week.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 6:48 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE

Transportation: I came in on the Shinkansen from Shin Osaka. At Shin Osaka take track 15 or 16. You are only going to the next stop which is Osaka Station. I asked a local just to verify the train I was stepping onto was going to stop at Osaka Station.
Great informatoin you provide, RTW. Curious: is the transfer from Shin-Osaka to Osaka a free transfer, or is it subject to a fare from a transfer?
Old Dec 25, 2006, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
I usually always have a JR pass so it is included. Can't be much.
Old Dec 25, 2006, 6:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
Its 160 yen between Osaka Station and ShinOsaka Station.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 12:34 am
cur

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
Its 160 yen between Osaka Station and ShinOsaka Station.
If you buy a shinakansen ticket from Tokyo to Shin Osaka, you get a ticket valid to the "Osaka City Zone". This ticket gets you anywhere in Osaka. Got me from Shin-Osaka to Osaka without incident.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Depends on how you were ticketed, some tickets do have "City Zone" and allow you to get off at any station in the zone, other tickets are from point A to point B only in which case you would pay the extra fare of 160 between ShinOsaka and Osaka Stations.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
For someone not familiar with Osaka and not wanting to take the train, assume airport limo bus is best option from KIX to the Westin?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:45 am

Its a nice option yes.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 4:32 am
cur

Originally Posted by gleff
For someone not familiar with Osaka and not wanting to take the train, assume airport limo bus is best option from KIX to the Westin?
westin>>shuttle to osaka station>>proceed to the airporter office across the street from the central post office (0.75 blocks from the dropoff point and 2 intersection crossings)>>pay $13>>enjoy the ride to KIX.
Old Dec 31, 2006, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by cur
westin>>shuttle to osaka station>>proceed to the airporter office across the street from the central post office (0.75 blocks from the dropoff point and 2 intersection crossings)>>pay $13>>enjoy the ride to KIX.
So roughly half the cost? Is it also better in any other dimensions? Thx!
Old Jan 1, 2007, 8:08 pm
cur

Originally Posted by gleff
So roughly half the cost? Is it also better in any other dimensions? Thx!
There's a JR train that you can take, that's 1200, so you save a bit, but the amount of transfers, stops, and so on don't make it worth it if you're at Osaka Station.

the airporter makes a few stops at the westin, but with nowhere near the same frequency. ask the concierge there.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 9:45 pm

I am learning that indeed the Airport Limousine bus to KIX does NOT make frequent stops taking people from the Westin to KIX let alone back. They sent me an excel spreadsheet and I noted at least one trip each way per day. Does this sound right?
Old Mar 3, 2007, 10:18 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I am learning that indeed the Airport Limousine bus to KIX does NOT make frequent stops taking people from the Westin to KIX let alone back. They sent me an excel spreadsheet and I noted at least one trip each way per day. Does this sound right?
Yes that's right. I think they only make 2 stops a day at the Westin. IIRC you need to go catch the bus at some other hotel closer to the Central Station.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:57 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Anyone been there as Gold and had any luck with upgrades?

Last edited by b8b; May 2, 2008 at 2:59 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.