Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Old Jun 27, 2017, 2:05 pm

Planning on being at the Westin LAX this upcoming weekend but, while checking the lounge hours, I see that it's actually closed for both breakfast and evening hors d’oeuvres on weekends.

How's the plat breakfast handled during the weekend? Do we get a voucher for the Daily Grill?
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:34 pm
Company Representative, Westin LAX

Great news on your upcoming stay! We do have breakfast in the Westin Club on Saturdays and Sundays from 7am to 9am. Evening hors d’oeuvres are only served Monday through Thursday. Travel Well! Phil GM
Old Jun 27, 2017, 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by WESTINLAXGM
We do have breakfast in the Westin Club on Saturdays and Sundays from 7am to 9am.

That's what I needed. Thanks Phil!
Old Jul 3, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Why we can't have nice things...

Sitting in the Executive Lounge watching one woman sit by herself with a fruit of plate, 3 slices of cake, 7 wraps, 3 drinks...
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by greg99
Sitting in the Executive Lounge watching one woman sit by herself with a fruit of plate, 3 slices of cake, 7 wraps, 3 drinks...
@greg99, you're point to this post is? I would like to understand what the real point of your post is. Is there something SPG/Starwood/Property related that she violated?

If she is eligible to be in the lounge, who is to question how much she eats and why? Thank the heavens she didn't wrap it up and leave the lounge.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:23 pm

She had already eaten a number of things, and was simply reading her phone, with the wide variety of other items was sitting on the other side of the table.

I was unclear in my earlier post and perhaps I was being unfair in my assumption that the food would be departing the lounge uneaten. I did not wait around to see.

Honestly, though, I've been in a lot of lounges with "free" food in different parts of the world. I had never see anything like that accumulated stack that she was, in fact, not eating.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:31 pm
Suspended

Question

She had already eaten a number of things, and was simply reading her phone, with the wide variety of other items was sitting on the other side of the table.

I was unclear in my earlier post and perhaps I was being unfair in my assumption that the food would be departing the lounge uneaten. I did not wait around to see.

Honestly, though, I've been in a lot of lounges with "free" food in different parts of the world. I had never see anything like that accumulated stack that she was, in fact, not eating.
@Gregg99 So she had a lot of food? What is the problem/issue? How is what she put on a plate in the lounge anyone's business?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
@Gregg99 So she had a lot of food? What is the problem/issue? How is what she put on a plate in the lounge anyone's business?
You don't know me, but if you did you would realize that I'm *never* going to criticize how much someone eats (pot, kettle, etc.).

That was not what was happening. She was clearly taking the food elsewhere. And when some of the food in the lounge was depleted when I went to get it, the fact that she took some of the depleted food and wasn't eating it in the lounge makes it my business.

It's also part of why the quality of the food isn't higher, I would argue.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:45 pm
Suspended

You don't know me, but if you did you would realize that I'm *never* going to criticize how much someone eats (pot, kettle, etc.).

That was not what was happening. She was clearly taking the food elsewhere. And when some of the food in the lounge was depleted when I went to get it, the fact that she took some of the depleted food and wasn't eating it in the lounge makes it my business.

It's also part of why the quality of the food isn't higher, I would argue.
@greg99 That is exactly what you are in the process of doing. If they bothered you, since you state it's your business, did you say something to her? Did you say anything to the lounge staff at that moment? Did you say anything to Phil, at anytime you were on the property?

How could you know what she was planning to do, when you state
...I did not wait around to see.
Now quality and quantity relates to this people portion size?
Old Jul 3, 2017, 10:56 pm

@greg99 That is exactly what you are in the process of doing. If they bothered you, since you state it's your business, did you say something to her? Did you say anything to the lounge staff at that moment? Did you say anything to Phil, at anytime you were on the property?

How could you know what she was planning to do, when you state

Now quality and quantity relates to this people portion size?
When someone (a petite woman) is sitting for 20 minutes with approximately 15 items of uneaten food (as in far more than a typical meal for someone even my size (6'2 225 lbs) it is not unreasonable to assume that either (a) they will be taking food back to their room, or (b) they were being exceptionally wasteful in how they took food from the serving area.

My point is that hotels would be more likely to have higher quality food if guests didn't make multiple meals out of the assortment.

You seem quite sensitive to my comments. Why? Do you take food back to your room for later meals?
Old Jul 4, 2017, 8:09 am
Suspended

When someone (a petite woman) is sitting for 20 minutes with approximately 15 items of uneaten food (as in far more than a typical meal for someone even my size (6'2 225 lbs) it is not unreasonable to assume that either (a) they will be taking food back to their room, or (b) they were being exceptionally wasteful in how they took food from the serving area.

My point is that hotels would be more likely to have higher quality food if guests didn't make multiple meals out of the assortment.

You seem quite sensitive to my comments. Why? Do you take food back to your room for later meals?
@greg99 I see you did not answer my questions. I don't make assumptions about others, I inquire, just as i have done here. I ask for greater details/information so I can make an informed opinion/give a detailed answer. A hotel with a lounge is not a necessity for me, so i rarely stay at them. To answer your question, yes, I have taken food. A piece of fruit, a bottle of water, a bag of pretzels, maybe a cookie, but not large (which is subjective) quantities of food. I don't "eat" in the lounge as If I am in a city a particular city I prefer to eat a restaurants I've researched out. Do not make assumptions about me or others, to change the narrative.

But to go down the rabbit hole, if I witnessed something, I would comment TO THEM and TO PROPERTY STAFF about inappropriate conduct such as bring people not eligible for access to the lounge into the lounge (which would be difficult to prove), unsupervised children running around, loading up wagons with water, taking all the fruit, or touching food with their hands or being rude/inappropriate to staff, etc.

I would not make an assumption about someone sitting at a table minding their own business, especially when I did not have 100% conclusive information that they violated any lounge policy.

Perhaps this exchange can be moved to Club Lounge Over Indulging.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 3:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD

I have seen people do this kind of thing a few times and invariably their family then arrives and proceeds to eat the food.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I have seen people do this kind of thing a few times and invariably their family then arrives and proceeds to eat the food.
so have i....but i have also seen a lot of food being wasted in the lounges....so it works both ways....
Old Aug 19, 2017, 7:44 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA

Dude why are you so pissed off about this post? I really do not get how someone could be so angry over such a trivial post. Seriously, you went on to berate greg99 for something as trivial as this comment for several more posts? I thought it was kind of a funny/sad observation of a fellow traveler and we post people doing stupid things on here all the time, in fact we have whole threads dedicated to such things.

Back on topic... my wife and I are looking to stay here (or the Sheraton) for 1 night. This will be the start of a 2+ week trip to Asia. We will not arrive until around midnight from the east coast on a positioning flight. Hoping to sleep in and check out late as our flight to SIN will not leave LAX until 10:25 and we do not want to spend ALL day in the CX lounge (a few hours will be plenty). What I have gathered from reading several pages of both properties master threads it seems after the Sheraton's recent refresh it may be the better option, or is it a wash, and just go with the cheaper option? We just want a clean quiet place to rest. I am still not sure which will have the better food options that late at night or the next day which is also a factor. Thoughts?

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Aug 19, 2017 at 7:51 am
Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:46 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Has there been a change to the cleaning chemicals used? The Westin signature scent had been gone the last three stays and replaced with a strong cleaning chemical smell. I thought the first time it was just a one off thing but last weekend and this weekend the same strong smell was in the room.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.