FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Le Meridien Limassol, Cyprus [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/544841-le-meridien-limassol-cyprus-master-thread.html)

ohcanada Apr 5, 2006 9:13 am

Le Meridien Limassol, Cyprus [Master Thread]

Can anyone provide any information about this property? I think there will be a few of us trying it after snagging tickets in the most recent AZ "fare sale" (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...7#post5575387). :D

javabean Apr 5, 2006 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by HomerJ
...where did u stay and what do u recoomend from a siteseeing standpoint for cyprus?

i lived there for a few years :)

Troodos mountains, see some villages, churches, a monastery, eat at a taverna
Nicosia (the capital) - old city, it's divided like Berlin was
Beaches if you traveling in the summer/fall
Nightlife in Limassol or Ayia Napa (in the summer)

PrivatePilot Apr 5, 2006 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by javabean
i lived there for a few years :)

Troodos mountains, see some villages, churches, a monastery, eat at a taverna
Nicosia (the capital) - old city, it's divided like Berlin was
Beaches if you traveling in the summer/fall
Nightlife in Limassol or Ayia Napa (in the summer)

This hotel is available for 10,000 starpoints as compared to the Hilton Park Nicosia which is available for 10,000 HH points a night... any opinions?

javabean Apr 5, 2006 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot
This hotel is available for 10,000 starpoints as compared to the Hilton Park Nicosia which is available for 10,000 HH points a night... any opinions?

Hilton Park Nicosia not only not a beach front hotel but is located very far from any beach, and it's completely different class

schriste Apr 5, 2006 5:18 pm

I stayed there 4 or 5 years ago. As I recall the property was fairly nice. Spacious rooms with nice bathrooms. The room décor was a bit dated, but that may well have been updated by now. If I recall there was no beach there as such. There are nicer places to stay on Cyprus (The Anasa for one). FWIW I spent one week on Cyprus and was thoroughly disappointed with the place. There were very few “old world” buildings anywhere. It was all new ugly stuff. The food was not memorable and the scenery not particularly great either. Now spending a week in Cyprus sure beets a kick in the head, but I would put it low on my list of places to pay a return visit to.

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Oct 8, 2007 10:06 am

After over a year, I have finally managed to get my pics from last year's Cyprus trip uploaded. My Cyprus pics include photos of the incredible Suite we stayed in at LM Limassol. As usual with hotel pics, it is difficult to give a proper impression of the true size of the room, given the difficulties of finding a proper angle to snap photos from within the confines of the room. However, if you would care to see what a suite looks like at LM Limassol, you may do so here.

The hotel was positively amazing, and I only wish that my photos could have done justice to the room. The bathroom pic shows only the oversized jacuzzi tub, and not the separate (massive) marble shower enclosure or double vanities. Also, due to inability to find a good angle to shoot from, the bedroom pic makes it look deceptively small.

For 11,500 points/night (at then-prevailing points rates), I thought this suite was a steal.

BKKLEE Oct 8, 2007 11:13 pm

Nicosia is still a divided city with a "no mans" land. AVOID the city, stay in Limossal and enjoy the beach, sea bream and local vino. Rent a car, even though you'll be driving Brit style and tour the island and drive up to Troodos - sometimes you'll get snow. All roads lead up/down so impossible to get lost.

Originally Posted by PrivatePilot (Post 5578469)

nimeta Feb 10, 2008 3:06 am

I am thinking of staying at this hotel this year with a 2 year old and a 4 year old.

They love sandcastles, but the beach looks like it is just stones - no sand.

Can someone confirm what the beach is actually like?

evdog19 Feb 10, 2008 11:48 am

Stayed there in October 2006. There was definately a sandy beach area. I was there with a 15 month old and we played in a sandy cove area. She was playing in the sand and letting the one inch waves come in and hit her while filling her hands with sand. We really enjoyed our stay there. At that time of year the place was EMPTY. Literally 20 people at the pool all day.

gleff Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm

Some photos from my late March '07 stay
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ks-to-alitalia

Great elite recognition. They have plenty of suites and the property is lovely.

Anglo Large Clawed Otter Feb 10, 2008 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by gleff (Post 9226620)
Some photos from my late March '07 stay
http://boardingarea.com/blogs/viewfr...ks-to-alitalia

Great elite recognition. They have plenty of suites and the property is lovely.

Looks like we had the same room, or at least the same version on different floors. Gem of a property.

ajamieson Mar 30, 2008 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by gleff
Great elite recognition.

Originally Posted by Anglo Large Clawed Otter
Looks like we had the same room ... Gem of a property.

Hmm. Either things have changed or I just got very unlucky.

No elite recognition whatsoever on my recent stay...no upgrade (even though front desk confirmed suites were available), no Platinum amenity and no late check-out (until I argued). There's no club, so no club access either. :(

In addition, I encountered some bizarre minor service issues...

- There are no irons or ironing boards available in the room or on request from housekeeping because of "safety reasons". We were told to use a wall-mounted mini-iron in the laundry room on the ground floor but it did not work. Even in a Four Points I can press a shirt so I don't see why this should be an issue in a Category 5 hotel.
- Our non-smoking room had ashtrays. This may just be a Cypriot thing, since everyone smokes, but...
- Minibars do not contain bottle openers and bottle-openers are not available on request; if you want a bottle opened, room service must take the bottle away, open it and bring it back. Alternatively, I can recommend the metal edge of the balcony door lock as a more convenient alternative ;)
- There is no wireless internet, and the cable internet connection costs a rapacious 21 Euro a day and is agonisingly slow. And there are not enough spare cables. We had to wait a day to get a cable and, having got it, received a call from the front desk three hours later asking when we would be bringing it back!
- The crockery and glassware in our room was removed after the second day and never replaced. We only really had cause to use the glasses for water but it seemed a bizarre thing to do.
- There was a minimum stay of four nights throughout Easter even though the hotel turned out to be only half full. I checked SPG when booking (paid stay) and they said nothing was available for four nights because the hotel was "completely full" but they would accept a booking for five nights "in order to make it worthwhile walking other guests to another hotel". But during our stay, the front desk confirmed the hotel was little more than 50 per cent full. This turned out to be a bonus, since the poolside was quiet, but...very strange.

I did email the GM to ask about the upgrade and I got a reply from another employee saying we had been upgraded (despite the room being exactly as described on the reservation) and that no suites had been available (despite what the front desk agent had told us on arrival). I replied that I had not been offered a Platinum amenity and she promised to credit the points although this has not been done and my stay has not credited either.

Having said all of that, it is a lovely location and the attractive poolside areas make up for the ugliness of the main building. There is a fantastic complimentary breakfast for all guests and we found the restaurant and bar staff to be exceptionally pleasant and efficient. The food and drink prices were expensive, as you'd expect from a resort hotel, but not excessive for what was good quality food. There is at least one restaurant which has a dress code and excludes children, which is a welcome touch in an otherwise family-orientated resort. The little indoor pool has a nice steam room. The Elemis Spa looks amazing, but sadly the prices were well out of our league! The concierge was very helpful and Limassol is only 15 Euro away in a taxi. Overall, this is a nice resort. ^ :)

A little tip for others: there is a shop in the residential area close to the hotel selling basic snacks, cola, beer, fruit etc. When you walk out of the main entrance gate turn left, follow the road around for about 200m and as it starts to climb a hill the shop is on the right hand side.

In full season, I imagine rooms in the Royal Spa Wing are slightly quieter than those in the main building. Made little difference in our stay because the whole place was so quiet, but the Wing is furthest from the childrens' pool ;)

There are also no news channels on the TV. There is BBC1 and BBC2, which is great for British guests but I imagine very boring for others. The rest of it is Russian and Greek TV. No CNN or Fox/Sky News.

ajamieson Apr 1, 2008 12:42 pm

An update: I did get an email from the hotel agreeing that Platinums should have a Platinum amenity ;) so I've been promised those points at least.

acnev Apr 1, 2008 2:52 pm

I was trying to book this hotel for 1 night in June but it looks like they have a minimum of 5 nights. I'll pass and find something else close by.

holtju2 Apr 1, 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by acnev (Post 9502523)
I was trying to book this hotel for 1 night in June but it looks like they have a minimum of 5 nights. I'll pass and find something else close by.

Personally I wouldn't spend 5 nights in Limassol (or in the island for that matter).