Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Point Advance for future bookings (General Discussion)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Marriott allows Point Advance for awards. You don't need to have points in your account until 14 days, or some time, before check in. Does this feature work for legacy Starwood properties? I was trying to book St Regis and Luxury Collection properties when a message popped up saying I need to earn additional points before check in. But then the app won't let me book the award. Does this Point Advance feature actually work for legacy Starwood properties?
Old Nov 23, 2018, 2:11 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Hi TerryK,

Points Advance is not currently offered at the Participating Properties or Brands listed here:

● St. Regis®
● The Luxury Collection®
● W®
● Sheraton®
● Le Méridien®
● Westin®
● Design HotelsTM
● Tribute Portfolio®
● Four Points®
● Aloft® Hotels
● Element®
● Non-branded properties listed in Section 1.2.a. (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/ter...ault.mi#redeem) (section xxxi)

Best regards,

Christopher Carman
SPG Champion
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 23, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thank you, Lurker.^ So Point Advance is still applicable to legacy Marriott properties only. I suppose it is another IT issue where app shows that you can do Point Advance but errors out when you try.
Starwood Lurker IV likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 6:00 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I do believe that as the hotel chains are moved over to the Marriott reservation system, Point Advance reservations become available. I have one right now for a 4Pts and I do believe Sheraton has moved over as well. Not sure which, if any, other original SPG chains have moved over yet.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do believe that as the hotel chains are moved over to the Marriott reservation system, Point Advance reservations become available. I have one right now for a 4Pts and I do believe Sheraton has moved over as well. Not sure which, if any, other original SPG chains have moved over yet.
Yes, this is correct. Available now for Sheraton. No to Le Meridien, St Regis, and W for certain. Haven't checked others.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hhoope01
That's correct. It is based on Marriott system conversion. Properties on Marriott system allows PA not for those still on SPG system. It is not by brand as not all properties on same brand convert on same date.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:54 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Are the Points Required for Redemption Supposed to Change Using Points Advance?

I booked a stay for the St. Regis Maldives for next fall two weeks ago. The required points with only 440,000 for five nights at the time. I used points advance to reserve because I a 100K points short at the time. However, I looked at my reservation again this week. Magically, it increased to 1,7250,000 points required. I called support and emailed the hotel. There was nothing they could do as the system did not send me any confirmation email at the time. I was however able to find availability yesterday for 540,000 points for the same time period and "updated" my reservation to that points value, still using points advance. I'm just hoping that my reservation doesn't change again before I accumulate the required points.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hull22
I booked a stay for the St. Regis Maldives for next fall two weeks ago. The required points with only 440,000 for five nights at the time. I used points advance to reserve because I a 100K points short at the time. However, I looked at my reservation again this week. Magically, it increased to 1,7250,000 points required. I called support and emailed the hotel. There was nothing they could do as the system did not send me any confirmation email at the time. I was however able to find availability yesterday for 540,000 points for the same time period and "updated" my reservation to that points value, still using points advance. I'm just hoping that my reservation doesn't change again before I accumulate the required points.
They didn't acknowledge that it was a glitch in their system? That's a bit concerning...
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:42 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
They didn't acknowledge that it was a glitch in their system? That's a bit concerning...
Nope, somehow no electronic trail of the reservation. They keep taking about how the current rates are so high because of the high season. The hotel keeps requesting proof of reservation.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 7:55 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by hull22
Nope, somehow no electronic trail of the reservation. They keep taking about how the current rates are so high because of the high season. The hotel keeps requesting proof of reservation.
i had the same problem with a suite using points at the Marriott Copenhagen. Ambassador and reps said there is nothing they could do about it since I didn’t have a confirmation (points advance). I decided to book the Nobis anyways. But one big risk of points advance and bad IT
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:29 am

Man this is scary. I haven't gotten confirmations for ANY of my bookings via points
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jr1202sr
Man this is scary. I haven't gotten confirmations for ANY of my bookings via points
Marriott is supposed to issue the certificate once the room is "paid for" which is probably what's happening.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
What I do is send a confirmation email to myself and in the subject line I write how many points are required for the reservation. However, this won't help if Marriott requires "proof" of what you booked at. The other thing I've done is made the reservation using points (obviously you need the points in your account for this), which will trigger a confirmation email. Then I go back in and change the reservation to a Points Advance reservation. This would probably work as "proof" since your confirmation email would have the reservation number and the points required.

As a matter of fact, I think that's what I'll start doing all the time now as a "best practices" approach.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:58 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I just booked 5 nights in Seoul for June and it sent me an email confirmation. This was for points I had and not a "future points" reservation.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 6:05 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I use the print option to generate a PDF confirmation for point advance bookings and export to PDF. Has helped me prove the original rate in the past.
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.