Le Meridien Limassol, Cyprus [Master Thread]

Old Aug 13, 13, 2:42 am

Thanks for you replies.

How did you get there? Did you all rent a car?!
I hesitate because of driving on the left side and I also won't need a car during the stay. Do you have an idea about the cost of a taxi transfer or hotel pick-up from Larnaca airport?
Old Aug 13, 13, 5:51 am
JK

Programs: BA Gold / OnBusiness, SPG Lifetime Plat 100, AmEx Centurion & BAPP, Superking Westin Heavenly Bed :)
Originally Posted by TimWong View Post
I hesitate because of driving on the left side and I also won't need a car during the stay. Do you have an idea about the cost of a taxi transfer or hotel pick-up from Larnaca airport?
We had the hotel arrange transfers for us, because there were 6 adults and 3 kids, and accompanying luggage! I think we paid something like €85 each way from memory, and charged it to the room, though it may have been as high as €100! The man had a mini-bus and trailer for the luggage.

In hindsight, I'm glad we didn't hire a car (I very nearly did!) We went out into the local area one of the days, and frankly, there just wasn't much we were interested in, and spent the rest of the time at the hotel. If you're not intending to leave the resort, I'd say skip the car and just take a cab. Outside the airport, I think the cabs charge approx €55 according to the SPG page, which is worth it for being hassle-free!

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...ropertyID=1853

If you're in any doubt, call the hotel and ask them to arrange a cab.

P.S. On the day that we did venture out, we just took the local bus from around the corner for €1 each. It just drives down this very long straight road (literally, no turns at all) and then comes back. You get off where you want (the Old Port in our case). If anything, it's cheap and dare I say a little fun to just take in the sights, and not worry about parking or drinking!

Good luck!
Old Aug 13, 13, 7:27 am

Programs: SPG LTP,HH Gold, AB Plat.,
[QUOTE=TimWong;21262316]Thanks for you replies.

QUOTE]

Yes, we had a rental car . Was from Hertz for 91 €/5days.
The drive airport-hotel is easy , 95% on the motorway.
Parking in the hotel is free.
Old Jan 5, 14, 6:59 am

Programs: SPG/Marriott platinum
A quick report from our week-long stay here over New Years:

General impression: The hotel is in decent shape, but cannot compete with more modern resorts. The whole hotel has a 80s feel, e.g. phone booths in the lobby, tired indoor pool area etc. We ate at the Four Seasons (not a part of the FS chain) down the road one night, and frankly, this hotel looked to be in another league. BUT, the Le Meridien may be a winner for those with kids (we traveled as a couple), as it seemed to have an outstanding children's club. And the hotel (and/or Limassol?) seemed to draw a lot of Russian families, they clearly outnumbered all other nationalities. A lot of the staff spoke Russian too, we saw a lot of guests taking advantage of this (help with the menu etc.).

Platinum recognition: Not the best. Winter is low season at Cyprus, and even though the holiday attracted a decent amount of visitors to the hotel, several types of suites were available when we arrived (Royal Spa Suite, Leisure Suite). But we were only offered a Royal Spa Room, and when we politely asked if any suites were available, front desk manager came out in the reception, did some typing and said none were available. We could get a Jacuzzi cabana room if we wanted, but after looking a it (ground floor in the spa building, with a Jacuzzi and a little bit bigger than the spa room, but very dark and no view), we declined.

I dropped an email to spg about the suite situation, and they confirmed that the Leisure suite is the select standard platinum suite at this hotel. But only after three calls from spg (and two days later) did the hotel (reluctantly) move us to a first floor spa suite. My personal guess is that the hotel would not upgrade hoping to sell it on New Years eve.

Suite: Rather nice & modern at the first glance, with a wrap around balcony, floor to wall windows and a large, marble bath. However, it was obvious that the suite hadn't been occupied for a while. There were a lot of dead ants in the tub (and some alive, which we just tried to ignore during the stay), some mysterious leaves on the bathroom floor, a broken radiator which actually caught fire when we turned it on (we unplugged it quickly and put in on the balcony) and from time to time a sewage smell from the bathroom.

Please also note that there is some rather heavy construction going on next door to the spa building (starting around 730 am Mon to Sat). All suites in the spa building will be affected by this, as they are on the end of the building. The glass windows did have minimal soundproofing. The hotel told me that they had nothing to do with the building project, and could not do anything with the noise.

As mentioned, we did stay in the spa room for two days, and apart from some minor issues (blood stains on one of the pillows, safe broken and lamp in bathroom broken), we actually preferred the room vs the suite due to the quietness.

Service: Very good from most of the staff. Was granted a late check out, a huge plus (we had a late flight). Especially Irina at front desk stood out.

Breakfast area: The weather did not permit outside dining (well, at least not for more than a quick coffee), but there were enough sitting places to eat inside. The noise level was quite high due to lot of kids/families, but bearable. Food selection was good, did not miss anything (except some variations, maybe?).

Dinner: We only had some light food in the bar area (a burger and spaghetti bolognese), it was good, but VERY expensive.

Gym: Okay. But no water was provided in the fitness center, and it was strangely enough not allowed to bring water cups from the water cooler outside fitness center into it.

Area: Hotel is really not in the walking distance to anything, but a bus stops directly outside the hotel and takes you to e.g. the My-Mall. A car is highly recommendable, though.

All in all, we give it 3 out 5 stars. At a bargain (low season) rate, we had a good stay. But the upgrade debacle was disappointing, and the hotel really need a full make over if it wants to compete in luxury/5 star segment.

Last edited by heakja; Jan 5, 14 at 7:17 am
Old Jan 9, 14, 12:33 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by heakja View Post
And the hotel (and/or Limassol?) seemed to draw a lot of Russian families, they clearly outnumbered all other nationalities. A lot of the staff spoke Russian too, we saw a lot of guests taking advantage of this (help with the menu etc.).
The city is frequently referred to as "Limassolgrad".
Old Jul 29, 14, 8:40 am

Programs: All of 'em
Anyone know which rooms an SNA can receive?
Old Oct 6, 14, 3:18 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MP 1K,MR PPE, LTG
Originally Posted by Nekamah7 View Post
Anyone know which rooms an SNA can receive?
A little late perhaps but we received a Leisure Suite. At the time of applying the SNA to our booking we were also offered another type. I think it was a Royal Spa room but I cannot be sure.

We had 8 nights just 10 days or so ago and we were actually impressed with the hotel. Sure the rooms and lobby had a more dated décor but they were well maintained. We got a super suite upgrade with SNA and had a nice bottle ofcabernet sauvignon as well as a nice bowl of fruit awaiting our arrival. Fruit and flowers updated during the stay ( but only 1 wine sadly ).

In addition the hotel is completely closing for a major refurbishment from November 2014 until March 2016, so I guess that should address those concerns about being dated etc.

Not sure if it will be remaining a Le Meridien or even an SPG after the refurb but it would be a shame if it did not.
Old Oct 6, 14, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
A little late perhaps but we received a Leisure Suite. At the time of applying the SNA to our booking we were also offered another type. I think it was a Royal Spa room but I cannot be sure.

We had 8 nights just 10 days or so ago and we were actually impressed with the hotel. Sure the rooms and lobby had a more dated décor but they were well maintained. We got a super suite upgrade with SNA and had a nice bottle ofcabernet sauvignon as well as a nice bowl of fruit awaiting our arrival. Fruit and flowers updated during the stay ( but only 1 wine sadly ).

In addition the hotel is completely closing for a major refurbishment from November 2014 until March 2016, so I guess that should address those concerns about being dated etc.

Not sure if it will be remaining a Le Meridien or even an SPG after the refurb but it would be a shame if it did not.
Thanks, now I know why they are not open in November as they were in the last years. Hope the hotel stays with SPG.
Old Aug 12, 16, 1:54 pm

Has anyone had a recent experience with this hotel? It's still listed as an SPG property, but isn't taking bookings until December of 2017...
Old Aug 12, 16, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by reuthermonkey View Post
Has anyone had a recent experience with this hotel? It's still listed as an SPG property, but isn't taking bookings until December of 2017...
Based on the article below, it will transform into a LC.

Parklane Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to replace Le Meridien in Limassol
http://www.tornosnews.gr/en/tourism-...-limassol.html
Old Aug 12, 16, 3:59 pm

We were there in September 2014, about a month or so before it was to close for what was described as a very extensive refurbishment. We had a great time and were treated very well but it was certainly dated and needed the upgrade. As an aside, the bar had some of the most expensive cocktails I have seen ( as well as normal priced ones). The best was a Platinum Luxury Sazerac at 290 Euros a pop. The bartender told us that drunken Russians would occasionally order a round.
Old Aug 12, 16, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the info - sounds like that 2017 booking period is going to be pretty accurate, but well outside of when i'm looking to go!
Old Oct 21, 16, 6:52 pm

Looks like this will be a LC with a new name when it reopens. Now scheduled April 2018.

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/prefe...aID=1008603144
Old Nov 24, 18, 2:32 am

any recent reports?
edit: oh, looks like it reopens mar 2019.
Old Dec 7, 18, 12:24 am

Programs: AA Plt 3MM; UA 1K 2 MM; MR Lifetime Plat; HH Lifetime Diamond; HH Diamond; IGH Spire Ambas; SPG Gold
This IMHO deserves a new thread with the new Parklane hotel name as header.

Not least for easy search.

Currently will only find this if the user knows was previously a Le Meridien.

But a few smart-XSS purists get upset when a new thread is opened after conversion from a prior property with a different name.