Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

[LEFT 26 Nov 2020] Le Meridien Piccadilly, London, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:37 am

Thoughts on LMP vs. St. Ermins vs. JW Grosvenor House for Golds. We are a party of 5 (grandmother, parents, 2 kids 11 &14) so would use 2x pts for a jr suite and then a regular room at LMP. The St. Ermins and Grosvenor upgrade is 100 gbp. The collective cost is similar at the properties. Marriott does consider us elites so we do get club access at Grosvenor where as only the Jr. suite does at LMP. Not sure of any breakfast at St. Ermins.

We have stayed at LMP and liked the location but found the rooms tired and the lounge lacking. The rooms at St. Ermins appear larger. I worry about the Grosvenor location for pure sightseeing.

Anyone considering the Marriott choices lately for a family london trip?
Thanks!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by hillcountrytraveller
Thoughts on LMP vs. St. Ermins vs. JW Grosvenor House for Golds. We are a party of 5 (grandmother, parents, 2 kids 11 &14) so would use 2x pts for a jr suite and then a regular room at LMP. The St. Ermins and Grosvenor upgrade is 100 gbp. The collective cost is similar at the properties. Marriott does consider us elites so we do get club access at Grosvenor where as only the Jr. suite does at LMP. Not sure of any breakfast at St. Ermins.

We have stayed at LMP and liked the location but found the rooms tired and the lounge lacking. The rooms at St. Ermins appear larger. I worry about the Grosvenor location for pure sightseeing.

Thanks!
I totally agree about the LMP being dated. I think the Grosvenor JW is a good choice, but you also might consider the very nice and newly renovated and refurbished Sheraton Grand Park Lane as another option.

I don't know St. Ermins, sorry. Good luck!

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 24, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

Thanks!
The Sheraton Park Lane is my favorite over the Grosvenor and LM. I posted a review over on that thread.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Thanks!
St. Ermins has a "family room", which is larger & has 2 bathrooms. With a party of 5 the 2 bathrooms could come in handy. Has a good location. StE does not have an exec lounge, but does provide breakfast for Gold/Plats.

Grosvenor House is a good choice as well, with potential upgrades & also the exec lounge. I normally stay at GH when I'm in London. It's a 5-minute walk to the Marble Arch tube stop & 10 minute walk to Hyde Park tube stop, so it's easy access to get around to the tourist spots.

The Sheraton Park Lane is also a good property & is getting lovely reviews post-renovation. Also close to tube stop.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 1:17 am

Any latest updates for plat stays here?
London is one of those tricky places for people who haven't been with an abundance of category 6 hotels near each other and am wondering how this one stacks up of late.

Having done my homework across the different forums it appears that the general consensus is the following ranking amongst the Cat. 6s (excluding Design hotels).

1. Sheraton Park Lane (post reno)
2. Park Tower Knightsbridge
3. Le Meridien Piccadilly
4. W London (sounds bad all around)

?. The Westbury (no reviews yet)

However am still looking at LM Piccadilly over Sheraton & the Park Tower because it has a lounge which is always a + for me. Any thoughts & recommendations appreciated! Will be there for holiday.
Old Aug 6, 2017, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Sheraton also has a lounge, so that equalizes vs. the LM. I was there a few months ago, it seemed to have decent offerings in the AM and snacks later.

Hard product-wise, it is almost LC-worthy now...don't think of it as a Sheraton

But I'd personally still do the PT over the Sheraton...I like the location a bit better, and it still is a proper LC after all. And IMO the breakfast is better.

Doing the Westbury in Oct for the first time, I'm sure there will be a report in before then!
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hertz PC, Marriott/SPG Platinum
For me, along with how many nights this year

1. Sheraton Park Lane (23 nights)
2. W London (6 nights)
3. Park Tower Knightsbridge (6 nights)
4. Aloft Excel (2 nights)
5. Le Meridien Piccadilly (3 nights)

I like the W. It's certainly a lot of fun on weekends, even if the minimum table charge in the back room is somewhat expensive. Easily covered with a few bottles of vodka though
Old Oct 2, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Just completed a 5 night stay. Location is good as far as centrality is concerned, but Piccadilly is a bit like NYC 5th Avenue. We found the lounge to be surprisingly good, especially by US standards. Even though the breakfast offerings were all cold (I think there may have been a toaster), the food was well-prepared and tasty. The espresso/cappuccino/latte machine that ground all the beans to order was a nice touch.

In terms of Plat upgrades, not so much. Our room was on the top floor (8th?) with a view to the northeast, but nothing great. Clothing storage was a bit problematic. No drawers in the room whatsoever, just 3 cubbies in the closet which meant I had to get down on my hands and knees to find my stuff every morning. Hotels in Europe don't let you use a hairdryer in the bathroom, just in the room itself which is where the only dryer-appropriate outlet was and seriously insufficient lighting for this task. The rest of the room was fine. The bathroom had a nice window and towel warmer, but very little horizontal space for toiletries, etc. Staff was very pleasant.

Would I stay here again? Likely not. I think I'd try the Sheraton Park Lane over LMP.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:40 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Thanks for the review.

Originally Posted by SJChick
but Piccadilly is a bit like NYC 5th Avenue.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

Re hotels not allowing fixed hairdryers, or indeed a mains socket outlet to plug one in, in the bathroom, that’s just because it’s the law. With the much higher voltage than the US, electrical safety regulations don’t permit a situation in the bathroom where a hairdryer could could be dropped into water, resulting in a fatal shock.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Thanks for the review.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?

Re hotels not allowing fixed hairdryers, or indeed a mains socket outlet to plug one in, in the bathroom, that’s just because it’s the law. With the much higher voltage than the US, electrical safety regulations don’t permit a situation in the bathroom where a hairdryer could could be dropped into water, resulting in a fatal shock.
I don't feel the issue or complaint is against the law simply that the hotel doesn't adapt and offer a space within the room (rather than bathroom) with good lighting and a mirror. It is not an issue with this property alone, but certainly better thought could be given!
SJChick likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:45 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Thanks for the explanation on the voltage issue; make sense. The 'busy-ness' issue of Piccadilly Circus can be good or bad, depending on one's preference. We didn't mind it as our room was very quiet. Overall, it was a nice hotel.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I used a suite upgrade for the weekend as I was projecting out that I wouldn't be able to use them. I have one of the X33 rooms. I got the suite assignment like 4/5 days in advance. When I tried to check in at 4pm (pre-checked in at 3pm via the app), my room wasn't ready until 5:30. Only comp was a drink at the bar (I was offered club access, which I think I get anyway as a Platinum.)
The suite is a bit odd, with a bunch of platforms and stuff. Sort of regretting getting a suite, but it's better than having them expire, for sure.
I'm sure it's just the older style, but it strikes me that they could have done with more bathroom space and less platform space. The windows are a bit odd as well as you can't really look out of them as they are up high. There's some natural light, but otherwise no view unless you climb up on a platform to look out (probably not doing the best job of describing this).
One of the things that I thought was super convenient at the Park Tower was that they had a US plug in every room as part of the A/V desk area. Just nice to not have to ask for or buy an adapter.
The hotel is in a great location for people watching, shopping etc. I did want to do the W, but it was priced too high.
Other than the lack of compensation for checking in late, my only real complaint is that the HVAC system is terrible. There's no thermostat, only a dial where you have to guess how hot turning the dial all the way to the right is. Plus it is either on or off, there's no ability to just have the system adjust as necessary.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / AA CK baby!
Angry billing problems galore

Originally Posted by jaejaez
Any latest updates for plat stays here?
Just got back from 8 nights at this property and I must say I'm fairly disappointed.
I got a suite night award cleared for a junior suite, a room that was far better than previous executive suites I've had at the same property so that was pretty great.
Get into the room to find a bottle of chardonnay and some nibbles thanks to my ambassador, so 2 thumbs up in that regard.
Overall a great stay. Then comes time to checkout. 'I'll print up the folio since there are a lot of charges to review' - what ?!?!?
That welcome bottle of wine and ecclaires? They billed me for them.
Those 4 breakfasts I had at the terrace as my platinum welcome gift (mind you I only had 4 out of 8 I could have opted for)? Billed for them too. Even though on 2 of the mornings the girl at the counter carefully read the little platinum amenity welcome gift card saying that I got free breakfast.
All in all about 300 pounds worth of bogus charges that I would have let slide if the gal at the front desk didn't say something about checking out the charges at checkout time (I must admit I rarely ever check my folios).

This has really got me hot. If it was a minibar item, or maybe a room service order that got billed to the wrong room, that would be one thing, this was a consistent pattern of charging me for items that the hotel should not be charging me for. I hate to make an insinuation based upon circumstantial evidence, but given the fact that they had so many 'errors' on my account, and the fact that they seem to be parring down their amenities (both the offerings at the club lounge, and the platinum breakfast were top notch, but much more 'slender' than previous stays) I have got to wonder if this billing problem was less accident than I was assured it was...
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by stant
Just got back from 8 nights at this property and I must say I'm fairly disappointed.
I got a suite night award cleared for a junior suite, a room that was far better than previous executive suites I've had at the same property so that was pretty great.
Get into the room to find a bottle of chardonnay and some nibbles thanks to my ambassador, so 2 thumbs up in that regard.
Overall a great stay. Then comes time to checkout. 'I'll print up the folio since there are a lot of charges to review' - what ?!?!?
That welcome bottle of wine and ecclaires? They billed me for them.
Those 4 breakfasts I had at the terrace as my platinum welcome gift (mind you I only had 4 out of 8 I could have opted for)? Billed for them too. Even though on 2 of the mornings the girl at the counter carefully read the little platinum amenity welcome gift card saying that I got free breakfast.
All in all about 300 pounds worth of bogus charges that I would have let slide if the gal at the front desk didn't say something about checking out the charges at checkout time (I must admit I rarely ever check my folios).

This has really got me hot. If it was a minibar item, or maybe a room service order that got billed to the wrong room, that would be one thing, this was a consistent pattern of charging me for items that the hotel should not be charging me for. I hate to make an insinuation based upon circumstantial evidence, but given the fact that they had so many 'errors' on my account, and the fact that they seem to be parring down their amenities (both the offerings at the club lounge, and the platinum breakfast were top notch, but much more 'slender' than previous stays) I have got to wonder if this billing problem was less accident than I was assured it was...
Did they argue against removing the charges or were they removed without issue? I would always check my bill at the end of the stay and while I agree it is frustrating they have charged for things they should not have (the wine and eclairs confuse me unless these charges should be seperated out to be paid for by Ambassador Program).

Generally if the hotel removed the charges without issue I wouldnt read to much into it and certainly not let it affect my opinion of the stay!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by stant
Those 4 breakfasts I had at the terrace as my platinum welcome gift (mind you I only had 4 out of 8 I could have opted for)? Billed for them too. Even though on 2 of the mornings the girl at the counter carefully read the little platinum amenity welcome gift card saying that I got free breakfast....
it used to be that complimentary Plat breakfast is in the lounge only. Maybe they've reverted to that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.