Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Hotel email address: [email protected]
OR: [email protected]
Lounge: [email protected]

Le Royal Club Benefits + Facilities (As of Feb 20, 2019)

Print Wikipost

The Athenee Hotel (formerly Plaza Athenee), Bangkok, Thailand [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Whew.
I found it very convenient to walk to Ploenchit BTS from the hotel. I timed it once and took 6:05 walking at a leisurely pace with very few stairs. That is from the elevator on the 1st floor to the barrier at the station. Leave the hotel and turn right on the road. Cut through the Okura Hotel lot and walk into the air conditioned Park Ventures building. Pass the Boots pharmacy and take the escalator up. Make a U-turn at the top of the escalator and follow the path to the BTS. I think you can also cut through the Okura lobby also, but never tried it.

In addition to Boots, there is a large 7-11, a sushi stand and a Boba Tea place all right there.
It’s just as quick to turn right exiting the lobby, walk up towards The Arhenee Residences, left at the convenience store, straight ahead between Mahatun Plaza, BTS is right there . Your way might afford more aircon/rain protection.
margarita girl and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by paolo64
It’s just as quick to turn right exiting the lobby, walk up towards The Arhenee Residences, left at the convenience store, straight ahead between Mahatun Plaza, BTS is right there . Your way might afford more aircon/rain protection.
Good to know. Does this route allow use of an escalator also?
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:22 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Hmm, the email I was given when I was here in Oct is [email protected]. Looks like it may have been changed. I will update the wiki.

It would be sooooo much better if Marriott just provided this info on hotel websites.
My mistake: I forgot "hotels" at the end. Your email address was right.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by UASPG
My mistake: I forgot "hotels" at the end. Your email address was right.
Yours does have hotels at the end. I looked back at my emails from last week and the one without hotels still works as that is what I used. However the reply back came from the address with hotels, so I updated the wiki with that modification. Thx
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Red face

Originally Posted by margarita girl

Yours does have hotels at the end. I looked back at my emails from last week and the one without hotels still works as that is what I used. However the reply back came from the address with hotels, so I updated the wiki with that modification. Thx
Reading and Posting too fast!!!
margarita girl likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:42 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I've enjoyed this property for several years, however - I stayed here a few weeks ago and had the most unpleasant check-in experience I've ever had in Thailand. Without going into details I was actually at one point told I should book another hotel if I wanted an upgrade.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Some
Oh dear. I also got nothing in the way of upgrades when checking in late at night earlier this month (on a Luxury Privileges rate, so should include space available upgrade even if I didn't have status), just a relatively low floor standard room despite various other room categories being available online. To be honest I've never found this place particularly generous with upgrades, contrary to what various others seem to have experienced. I have had issues on each of my last three stays here unfortunately, so thinking I'll probably be adding this place to my avoid list now. It's a shame, as I love the breakfast in The Rain Tree Cafe and the pool is one of the best in Bangkok.
Kalboz and escape4 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Good to know. Does this route allow use of an escalator also?
Yes, you can access Park Ventures at ground level from Sukhumvit and use the same escalator. I prefer going this way because it avoids the noisy main road.
In respect of the PA, I’ve always enjoyed staying there: good upgrade experience over many, many stays, lovely breakfast, great pool. The lounge is *ok* and is great for a group, but the food is pretty mediocre IMO ( and nothing like the variety/quality of the ROS), ie edible but not memorable. But they offer nice drinks in a very pleasant environment.
I stopped staying so much because it got too expensive. 5 or 6 years ago it was common to see rates in the threes, now it’s rare to see it much under 6500 ( so including tax that gets close to $250USD). At that rate it’s not great value, especially when perfectly good alternatives are close to, even under, half the price.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 4:56 am

Just checked in at The Athenee. No suite upgrade as they are fully booked. Given 4pm checkout without asking. However, breakfast at The Rain Tree Cafe is only available as a platinum benefit choice. Is that the norm? No Ambassador here. Just a Platinum Prefered.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
I was looking at staying, decided not to use a 7 day cat 4 cert, but the rates came in at 7000 per night, or 6500 pre pay nonrefundable. the Peninsula is 7500 refundable with breakfast and an upgrade if availability (so the same as PPE benefits)

I understand the location difference. But for this trip, my wife’s first visit, the river is a plus. I understand the Peninsula is a bit old fashioned and maybe needing an update but is the Athenee upped it game enough to be in the same price class.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Ripley62
I was looking at staying, decided not to use a 7 day cat 4 cert, but the rates came in at 7000 per night, or 6500 pre pay nonrefundable. the Peninsula is 7500 refundable with breakfast and an upgrade if availability (so the same as PPE benefits)

I understand the location difference. But for this trip, my wife’s first visit, the river is a plus. I understand the Peninsula is a bit old fashioned and maybe needing an update but is the Athenee upped it game enough to be in the same price class.
What's happening is that Pen has dropped its prices precipitously, while prices in Sukhumvit properties (at least major chains) are on the rise more or less across the board.

Pen now commonly runs a third-night free promo where you can get a suite for around 10k THB. This is also commonly available with FHR rate, which gives you free breakfast as well.

As you've probably noted, Pen is starting to get some negative TA reviews due to tired furnishings. Shangri-La has same problem (plus busloads of Chinese tourists).
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

Pen now commonly runs a third-night free promo where you can get a suite for around 10k THB.
I know this OT but that made me look and yes for 3rd day free booking direct put the Pen is 6,334 THB, too bad not for my dates. That put is under the Athenee for the same dates.

Last edited by yosithezet; Jan 21, 2019 at 9:25 pm Reason: fixed markup
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I prefer PA over Peninsula esp if you are platinum - I find the Peninsula to be tired. And I don't like the location. Service is good but nothing spectacular. I only stayed at Peninsula once and was quite surprised (negatively) as it is always ranked so highly in Travel and Leisure. It was not a bad stay but nothing superlative and there didn't seem to be much of anything within walking distance. I am a walker and that was negative for me.

I stayed a few months ago at Mandarin Oriental (hadn't be there in 10 plus years) and still loved it. A little tired in parts but the service was just incredible. Seriously incredible. So if you want the river views and are chain agnostic, I would choose MO over Peninsula unless rates are really much cheaper at Peninsula.

Royal Orchid is a great deal on river too if you want to stay with Marriott, though definitely not luxury. But so cheap. ANd I have gotten a suite every time I have stayed there. But I still prefer PA.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I stayed a few months ago at Mandarin Oriental (hadn't be there in 10 plus years) and still loved it. A little tired in parts but the service was just incredible. Seriously incredible. So if you want the river views and are chain agnostic, I would choose MO over Peninsula unless rates are really much cheaper at Peninsula.
MO is still considerably more expensive than the SPG/Marriott options, at least on published rates.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:06 pm

I found pricing for the MO of as low as 16,150 THB. Unfortunately my dares are 25,350k THB for a Deluxe Room, B&B 27,750 THzb/night. I think that’s the MOs base room style. 60k THB with tax for two nights isn’t worth it to me. I’d like stay there again, if I wait 3 years maybe I’ll do it as a 60th birthday it’ll have been 50 years since first stay at the MO. But not this trip.

i was just surprised the Athenee had made up to 6-7,000 THB for a standard room. It does look like a beautiful hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.