Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS
None.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Stockholm, Sweden [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
Originally Posted by paolo64
5 nights here early March. Booked the cheapest rate ( Senior/AAA) @ around 1500 SKR ( USD 180?). Offered a choice at checkin of viewless suite or exec room with view. I chose the latter ( 827), a largish room with a full width balcony with a great view across Gamla Stan and the water. While I couldn’t make much use of the balcony ( it had a foot of snow on it), the view was fantastic and it would be a great room for any time other than the dead of winter...and even so it was good to be able to open the door for some fresh air.
Breakfast is offered in the lounge ( as continental plus) or in the restaurant on the lobby level ( full buffet). The lounge breakfast was fine: decent bread/croissants , salads, smoked salmon, cereals, scrambled eggs, sausages, bacon, cold meats, yoghurt etc. Downstairs it’s a more comprehensive buffet and cooked to order ( nice but very busy).
Evening in the lounge: quite substantial offerings, full bar, several hot dishes ( chicken wings, spring rolls, cheese sticks, others), plus a range of salads, cocktail food.
The lounge is small ( around 30 seats) . At times it was busy in the evening but less so for breakfast. I guess most people opted for the full breakfast downstairs.
Restaurant food :I only ate once, fish dish, tasty but expensive. Only for convenience.
It is an easy walk ( 5 minutes) from Arlanda Express at Central Station, even with luggage in the snow.
Its close to Gamla Stan ( 8-10 minutes walk) and is just around the corner from the shopping/walking street)
The one time I went shopping I stumbled into a running battle between the Nordic Front neo-nazi thugs and some LGTB group. It was particularly pleasing to see the police come from nowhere , in a flash, and smack the crap out of the nazis.The locals seemed to appreciate it as well.
Overall: The Sheraton was great, lovely staff, extremely well-located, comfortable accommodation, good lounge . The only negative: a cold and unwelcoming bathroom.
It’s a bit pricey ( but that’s Stockholm) but I would return very happily.
Thank you for your review. I will be there in June. I have no status, but did book the AAA rate. I am hoping that I have a clean quiet room.

ML
Old May 16, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Four stays here so far this year. Spending 3, 1, 4 and 2 nights respectively. Always the cheapest rate, upgraded to Jr Suites X01 (northwestern corner with view of the City Hall) and X39 (southeastern corner, with a separate sitting room, view of Gamla Stan) three times, Exec Suite X19 (southwestern corner with views in both of the two directions) once.

Personally, I always have breakfast in the restaurant, mainly for the larger buffet. I try to be rather early to avoid congestion. EL not congested at any of these visits, spanning between unoccupied seats for >1.5 h to new guests entering when others are leaving.

All in all, a great hotel with excellent service from being met by door-man with 'Welcome back Sir, we haven't seen you for almost two months now' ; check-in staff, with honors doubling as concierges out of ordinary hours for the C; Lounge hostess proactively walking around offering refills; knowledgeable wait/ers/resses in the restaurant; maintenance staff fixing the rare problem to another doorman when departing, with wishes to see me soon again.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by onobond
Four stays here so far this year. Spending 3, 1, 4 and 2 nights respectively. Always the cheapest rate, upgraded to Jr Suites X01 (northwestern corner with view of the City Hall) and X39 (southeastern corner, with a separate sitting room, view of Gamla Stan) three times, Exec Suite X19 (southwestern corner with views in both of the two directions) once.

Personally, I always have breakfast in the restaurant, mainly for the larger buffet. I try to be rather early to avoid congestion. EL not congested at any of these visits, spanning between unoccupied seats for >1.5 h to new guests entering when others are leaving.

All in all, a great hotel with excellent service from being met by door-man with 'Welcome back Sir, we haven't seen you for almost two months now' ; check-in staff, with honors doubling as concierges out of ordinary hours for the C; Lounge hostess proactively walking around offering refills; knowledgeable wait/ers/resses in the restaurant; maintenance staff fixing the rare problem to another doorman when departing, with wishes to see me soon again.
I'm the same. I've always received some sort of upgrade to either a Junior or Exec suite.

I stay at this property on average 10 nights a year and always look forward to them.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:34 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I've got a 6 night stay coming up in November. While not the best time of year to visit Stockholm, I am looking forward to being back in town for the first time in 10 years. It's a business trip but I tacked on a weekend and am bringing Mr jtwiz. Hoping for an upgrade, although with 6 nights, it may be tough.

Has anyone stayed here post August 18th? I am just wondering if any changes to Plat benefits. I like when you can choose between restaurant buffet and lounge, especially over a weekend, so I hope that is still in place.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA GS, 3MM, Titanium Elite for life
Will be tough to get a suite upgrade for that duration. However, you should be upgraded to a club room. The lounge is nice. Breakfast in the restaurant is included for platinums.
-sr
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by small ring
Will be tough to get a suite upgrade for that duration. However, you should be upgraded to a club room. The lounge is nice. Breakfast in the restaurant is included for platinums.
-sr
Thanks Small Ring. Definitely not expecting a suite upgrade on a 6-night stay, but it would be nice to get a water view! It can't hurt to ask and I plan on doing so. Thanks for confirming about the breakfast in the restaurant.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jtwiz
Thanks Small Ring. Definitely not expecting a suite upgrade on a 6-night stay, but it would be nice to get a water view! It can't hurt to ask and I plan on doing so. Thanks for confirming about the breakfast in the restaurant.
This is a really consistent property and they treat Plats well and have been for the past 15 years I've stayed there.*

* I haven't stayed there post-program-merger yet though
Old Oct 31, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by jtwiz
I've got a 6 night stay coming up in November. While not the best time of year to visit Stockholm, I am looking forward to being back in town for the first time in 10 years. It's a business trip but I tacked on a weekend and am bringing Mr jtwiz. Hoping for an upgrade, although with 6 nights, it may be tough.

Has anyone stayed here post August 18th? I am just wondering if any changes to Plat benefits. I like when you can choose between restaurant buffet and lounge, especially over a weekend, so I hope that is still in place.
Originally Posted by small ring
-sr
i stayed for 8+ nights in December 2017 (cant find my review or maybe I forgot) and was upgraded to the junior suite, corner room partial water facing towards the central station (-01 room). I did however ask for this room saying if I can get a similar room I got on a 2-night stay earlier that year and they said yes.
jtwiz likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:11 am

I just finished up a very nice 6-night stay. I contacted the hotel 2 days in advance on the Marriott app and asked for an upgrade from my AAA rate basic room. I was given a Club Floor Room with Lake View, which I was quite happy with. The views were beautiful and we were right around the corner from the lounge. The room was nice-sized, although the bathroom was a bit tight. It was primarily a business trip, but (the retired) Mr jtwiz came along for the ride.

Post 8/18, the same Plat breakfast amenities are still in place. You have a choice between breakfast in the lounge (scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacon, cold meats, cheeses, salmon, fruit, yogurt, pastries, etc.) or in the restaurant. I used both (restaurant on weekends, lounge on work days) and was quite happy with the choices and quality. One nice thing, you can get eggs cooked to order in the restaurant including omelets, poached, etc.

In the evenings, the food and alcoholic beverages come out promptly at 5:30 and are whisked away at 7:30. The alcohol selection was decent: two flavors of Granges beer, white, red, rose wine and a cava. Plus some hard liquor selections. The food selection was ample, although if you are there for 6 days you quickly realize they recycle a lot of items. I think they had chicken wings 3 out of the 6 nights for example. Veggie pot stickers and egg rolls made a frequent appearance too. But there was certainly enough to make it dinner, if you wanted.

Note: many signs stating all food and drinks must be consumed in lounge. Although there were no issues taking coffee/water to go. But they watched people pretty closely, especially during the evening cocktail hour.

We loved the location: walking distance to Central Station. We used the Arlanda Express (book on-line a few days ahead and get a 2 for 1 fare) from the airport. And I used the commuter trains to get to my office and my customer's office. Very convenient. And the hotel is really walking distance to just about everywhere in the city itself. Gamla Stan is a 10-minute walk with tons of choices for dinner. We particularly enjoyed Gastabud.

I would have no hesitation staying here again. The location is excellent and the hotel staff were friendly, knowledgeable and professional.

Last edited by jtwiz; Nov 24, 2018 at 8:13 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:17 pm

I should say I cannot share all the excitement about the hotel. Staying here for one night right now. Was "upgraded" at check-in to club floor room with no view (pretty much the same room as originally booked, just closer to lounge which I couldn't use anyways having arrived at 10pm). Plenty of better rooms available for bookings, so advertised platinum benefit (best available room at check-in) is pretty much not delivered. Also, it's not like they give an option to have breakfast in restaurant as a kind gesture. It's an advertised choice between 1000 points, breakfast in restaurant or F&B credit for all Sheratons. Also the hotel, while clean, starts to show its age, especially in bathroom. Can't comment much on service and attention, but I've definitely stayed a few times at different Radisson's where service was great and price was way lower. The location is really convenient though.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT., Marriott LT GLD
Originally Posted by maxvor
I should say I cannot share all the excitement about the hotel. Staying here for one night right now. Was "upgraded" at check-in to club floor room with no view (pretty much the same room as originally booked, just closer to lounge which I couldn't use anyways having arrived at 10pm). Plenty of better rooms available for bookings, so advertised platinum benefit (best available room at check-in) is pretty much not delivered. Also, it's not like they give an option to have breakfast in restaurant as a kind gesture. It's an advertised choice between 1000 points, breakfast in restaurant or F&B credit for all Sheratons. Also the hotel, while clean, starts to show its age, especially in bathroom. Can't comment much on service and attention, but I've definitely stayed a few times at different Radisson's where service was great and price was way lower. The location is really convenient though.
Not a good experience. Checked in 4 December for 2 nights via travel agent booking which clearly was listed under my PLT account on the SPG site. Front desk proceeded to tell me about the charge for breakfast, since it was not included. First clue that they had no idea of my status.

I then saw no effort to upgrade me to anything better than the lower category room I had booked. Was stuck with a low floor, interior room, likely one of the least desirable on the entire property, but with club access. Asked at check in to move to a better room on day 2 and said I would be down at 0830. I was, checked with reception and left my bags in the room as I was assured that my bags would be in my upgraded room when I returned at 1600.

At 1600 there was no room available. I was assured a room on the club floor was assigned, but was told It was clean and awaiting inspection, and they would fetch me at the bar. A half an hour later I had to leave for a dinner appointment. No one ever tried to find me.

Returning a few hours later, the front desk has no record of my having requested a room change. I was given the same room category on the 3D floor, with an exterior view this rime. Luggage went missing for another half hour, likely sitting all along in the original room I vacated 12 hours earlier.

Without a a doubt the worst PLT (non) recognition ever experienced.

Last edited by planecrashlaw; Dec 22, 2018 at 5:51 pm Reason: Forgot to mention club access was given.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 10:07 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Stayed here on points for vacation. Was upgraded to a Superior King Balcony with a view of the courtyard. I would have preferred a view of the water, but didnt ask. Hotel is super close to the train station and was easy accessible after getting off the Arlanda Express. Also very walkable to most of Stockholm's main attractions. Breakfast is available in the lounge or lobby restaurant. Definitely chose the lobby restaurant. Lounge has HH available (wine, beer) but the food leaves a lot to be desired.
Old May 13, 2019, 12:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Just completed a stay here, where my wife and I at last minute brought our 16 year old daughter after checking that room booked had capacity for 3.

As Bonvoy Ambassador I was upgraded to a junior suite with lounge access, and a welcome gift of 1/2 bottle of red wine. When checking in 3 people and asking if room has sofa/sofa bed, I was offered a roll away bed, that was promptly delivered to room (and not charged).

At check out I was informed that there was a extra charge of 550SEK/night (55USD) for lounge access for my daughter, since Elite lounge access is only for Member +1.

This is technically correct, but through 600+ SPG nights I’ve never experienced an extra charge for lounge access for my kids when staying in the same room. Roll away beds and restaurant breakfast yes, but not lounge access.

Also since I wasn’t informed of this charge until checkout, and was given lounge access automatically, I never had a chance to reject the lounge access and spend the money eating elsewhere.

I this fair, and should I just accept it ?
Old May 13, 2019, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by raunow
Just completed a stay here, where my wife and I at last minute brought our 16 year old daughter after checking that room booked had capacity for 3.

As Bonvoy Ambassador I was upgraded to a junior suite with lounge access, and a welcome gift of 1/2 bottle of red wine. When checking in 3 people and asking if room has sofa/sofa bed, I was offered a roll away bed, that was promptly delivered to room (and not charged).

At check out I was informed that there was a extra charge of 550SEK/night (55USD) for lounge access for my daughter, since Elite lounge access is only for Member +1.

This is technically correct, but through 600+ SPG nights I’ve never experienced an extra charge for lounge access for my kids when staying in the same room. Roll away beds and restaurant breakfast yes, but not lounge access.

Also since I wasn’t informed of this charge until checkout, and was given lounge access automatically, I never had a chance to reject the lounge access and spend the money eating elsewhere.

I this fair, and should I just accept it ?
i would not mention the 600+ nights because quite frankly, no one cares. you should mention to them you were not advised of the charge beforehand and go from there. Having stayed here multiple times, I forgot if they give you a lounge sheet specifying additional occupants and charges.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
My experience is that in Europe there's rarely someone checking you at the door. You just get in with your keycard and often there's no staff around.

It's a different story in Asia, where there is *always* somebody there and they often specifically approach you to verify your access rights. Last time I was in South Korea, I remember staff checking me every single time at the CY Namdaemun, even though I always used my keycard to get in. If I entered while staff were occupied with other guests, they would then hunt me down at my table to check my credentials.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.