Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Prince Toronto [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Prince Toronto [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2007, 2:06 pm

Programs: FPC Plat, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, PC Plt Amb
Yeah, in the last couple of years, the Prince seems to have more service etc. issues. Last time I stayed there, the room was in pretty sad shape, with lots of wear and tear showing. Like Snow Goose, I also encountered (a different) billing problem, being charged for breakfast when it's included in the rate. And never actually got all the benefits of the "workout" package I booked. And the doormen were, well, indifferent.
Old May 9, 2007, 6:06 am

Programs: SPG Plat
I have stayed 2 nights at Westin Prince every week since beginning of January (and most of Fall 2006). For most part, it is a pleasant stay. I have been bumped out of one of two Westin Workout rooms twice. Since these episodes they have tagged my account to ensure that I'm never bumped. So far so good.

Hotel is dated - has apparently been bought by new owners who are planning to renovate. No eta on renovation. Currently there is no club floor so I asked if they were planning on putting one in and staff didn't know. I think it would be good if they could - lots of business travellers at this hotel.

The gym is a nice one with ample equipment - never had to wait for a treadmill. Haven't used outdoor pool (no indoor available) so can't comment. Hotel is needing repairs but is clean.

Little things are inconsistent right now - not all toiletries/towels are replaced and have had to ask for tea bags for in room coffee maker when it's standard for them to be there.

If you like sushi, Katsura is a fine restaurant. Be sure to try the enoki mushrooms baked with a butter saki sauce baked in a paper parcel is excellent. Also, french fries are consistently good at any of the restaurants and room service.

However, I'm hoping the new owners can bring it up a notch. As an FYI, if you want a large room with deck to sit outside, book traditional room, lower floor - don't let them upgrade you. In my opinion, I was upgraded to a penthouse room when bumped from workout room and it was small and cramped. Lower floor rooms are more spacious and have decks - bathrooms in "better" rooms are usually not worth the smaller sleeping space.

Overall, despite the mixed reviews and experiences, I like staying at the Westin - it's convenient for me in getting to client site. I also like the park like setting - it's nice to see a lot of green in the city.
Old May 11, 2007, 12:17 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
I have stayed there 5-6 times this year so far. It is a bit old and dated but this is reflected in the price as well. The Westin Prince is cheaper than any other Westin in the area.
Rooms are okay, nothing special. The breakfast is mediocre compared to the Westin Harbour Castle but then again it is a few $ cheaper. I usually had very friendly staff and good service. There are a few eateries around the place if you don't like the hotel restaurant or the Japanses place on site. I consider the Westin Prince to be good value for money and I have often paid just $130 plus tax so the standard is good for this price.
Old Jun 17, 2007, 10:56 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
The web site states:

"The only hotel in Canada to have won the prestigious AAA Four-Diamond Award for 30 consecutive years, we are proud to offer excellence in service and facilities."

They certainly make it sound nice contrary to the opinions herein.

They offer Cash & Points @ $45 and 2,800 or $155CAD rate.

Any suggestions which way to go and which room is best?
Old Jun 17, 2007, 4:04 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by tormapleaf
The web site states:

"The only hotel in Canada to have won the prestigious AAA Four-Diamond Award for 30 consecutive years, we are proud to offer excellence in service and facilities."

They certainly make it sound nice contrary to the opinions herein.

They offer Cash & Points @ $45 and 2,800 or $155CAD rate.

Any suggestions which way to go and which room is best?
Suggestions regarding Cash & Points vs Cash are hard to make. They all depend on your circumstances. I would most probably use the points elsewhere.
I stayed there two weeks ago and it was a good stay. But it shows that they have won the AAA award for 30 years....
Try to get a corner room a bit further away from the elevator to minimize noise. Talking about the elevator. I got stuck in one of them last time which was a first for me.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:44 pm

Programs: AC SE(100K), Starwood Lifetime Platinum
My office hotel...

My head office is located near this hotel. So I stay there about 20 times a year.

It is definately the best hotel on the Don Valley Parkway/401 area without going up to Markham.

It is not really a downtown quality hotel, but it will be clean and efficient. You will need to cab it to pretty much anywhere or drive. But it is very convenient for driving if your business is not downtown. If its downtown, I prefer the Sheraton Centre.

The sushi restaurant is outstanding, but a bit pricy.

If you are platinum, you will get a corner room most times, with glassed in shower.

True, the carpets are worn a bit, but not unclean. The beds are up to westin standards.

Couple issues I have with the hotel. No minibar. Sometimes I get in late and the store is closed. Second issue - a funny one - they have mini ironing boards in the rooms. I'm a tall guy and ironing my shirts on these little things are beyond annoying.

Bottom line, this is a well priced Westin. You can pay 2 to 3 times as much downtown if you'd like. That said, if you are a tourist, stay downtown.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for your input. The problem with downtown Toronto is, where do you park? Parking aside, the Harbour Castle is off the beaten path and the Sheraton Centre seemed pretty basic. I was considering the Prince due to it being summer - the pool and tennis courts look promising. And there really are no other decent hotels except in the downtown area.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Anyone have a recent stay here? What is the condition of the hotel now?

Since there is no lounge, do they offer breakfast coupons for Platinums?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Anyone have a recent stay here? What is the condition of the hotel now?

Since there is no lounge, do they offer breakfast coupons for Platinums?

stayed there recently. the rooms are a bit worn but certainly nice. beds and showers are up to westin standards while the TV and other furniture is a bit behind (no flat screen in my room) and carpet clean but worn.

no breakfast coupons were provided to me, but i didnt ask either.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 6:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
$82 -- The Westin Prince, Toronto 45% Off

http://hotels.travelzoo.com/lodging-...rating=&tppct=

https://www.starwoodhotels.com/westi..._090409_NAD_FM
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:08 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Any idea if the Travelzoo rate, booked through the SPG site, is classified as an 'eligible rate' that would earn stay credit?
Old Sep 29, 2009, 1:11 pm

Yes it will earn stay credit.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 7:23 pm

Any bookings through SPG earn stay credits.

As for this property, it has been rennovated, especially noticeable in the lobby area. I still consider this a mediocre property, although that is reflected in the price, so on a 'what you get for what you pay basis' the overall value isn't bad.

Its best feature, in my opinion, is its proximity to the 401, as a gateway to north, west and east of Toronto. This is important if you are driving - Toronto's road congestion can be debilitating. On the other hand, it doesn't offer much in the way of Plat benefits.

I find the service fair to middling. I find the valet useless - I can't tell you how many times the valet/bellman has approached me AFTER I have already unloaded my car to ask if I need assistance. I have never been offered assistance on departure. Quite frankly, I have no idea what the valet does all day - doesn't even open the door.

Still, as I say, I guess that's why they don't charge much. And when they don't have low rates available, I just stay at the Sheraton Parkway just north of the Westin Prince for the same reasons. Inexpensive, and location. Although the Sheraton has a great lounge during the week, and breakfast coupons on the weekend for the buffet.

Cheers,
Old Sep 29, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I'm planning to stay here, but spend most of my day (and night) downtown. I'd love to stay at the Sheraton Centre, but the rates are over twice as high there as they are at the Westin Prince.

I know there isn't EASY public transport into town, but is the subway relatively close? Any idea how much a cab to/from town would be?

Thanks,
BB
Old Sep 30, 2009, 5:48 am

I'd say about $20 each way by taxi to and from downtown.

I'd say $10 to get to the Yonge Subway at York Mills, then another couple bucks on the Subway, and the same returning. Probably take you twice as long to get back and forth though as compared to the taxi.

Cheers,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.