Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Taipei, Taiwan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by mjcewl1284
Does anyone find it slightly interesting that this property, more often than not, is more expensive on a per night basis then the Westin Taipei? Is it just solely since it has been renovated just 3-4 years ago?
hmmm...interesting...and true... rates at the Sheraton Taipei are most often then not higher than Westin Taipei...

let's hope it stays in the same category next year (and have the Westin Taipei drop to cat 3 )
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:45 pm

Does anyone find it slightly interesting that this property, more often than not, is more expensive on a per night basis then the Westin Taipei? Is it just solely since it has been renovated just 3-4 years ago?
My parents live in Taiwan and they have stayed in all 3 Starwood properties in Taipei. What I got from them is that Sheraton Taipei is leaps and bounds better than the Westin.. To my surprise they actually prefer Four Points Chung-Ho to Westin Taipei..

It seems like a no brainer to pick the Sheraton over the Westin and save 3000 points..
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:08 pm

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
After the renovations the Sheraton was voted best hotel in Taiwan (at least one year, maybe multiple times). The restaurants are busy and frequented by locals. The President of Taiwan has been to the hotel twice when I was staying there...

So given the increased demands and prestige since the renovations, the price has reflected that. The prices were lower before, during and right after the renovations...

I almost always choose the Sheraton over the Westin when in Taipei, though did stay at the 4Points on my last trip.

Plumber
Old Dec 3, 2009, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Shearton is more in demand because of three factors: (1) Its location near the central government offices and particularly the Legislative Assembly which is probably the biggest source of business entertainament expenses in Taiwan; (2) Its many restaurants with large capacities for big wedding parties and big banquets; (3) It accomodates large groups of tourists very frequently -- particularly Japanese tour groups -- who pay deeply discounted rates that are not available from Westin. It also has more long term contracts with large coporations who need large capacity hotels to gurantee room availability. These factors produce a high demand in their rooms for individual travelers who pay more to balance the tour groups' low rates.

On the other hand, Westin caters to mainly Western guests, mostly individual travelers, and very few if any tour groups. The smaller capacity and smaller market segment (Western versus Asian guests) cause more fluctuation in its occupancy. During less busy times Westin has lower rates as they do not have the large tour groups to keep the lower rate rooms occupied. But they also can reach near full occupancy easier sometimes and charge ridiculously high rates when that happens.
Old Dec 21, 2009, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
we spent two nights at the westin and one night at the sheraton during our recent taipei visit. the room at the sheraton--upgraded diplomatic suite--was much, much nicer than our rooms at the westin. (no upgrade the first night, small suite the second.) the amenities in the sheraton--l'occitane--were nicer. the lounge was lovely, although i must say the food offerings at breakfast were fresher, better and more innovative at the westin.

we didn't sample the evening snack offerings, but at the sheraton they looked lovely.

had a nice chat with the new gm at the westin (he's only been there a few months) and i have a hunch that hotel will be amazing once the renovations are done and he's had a chance to whip them into shape. for now, though, except for the breakfast in the lounge, the sheraton is a better bet.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:06 pm

had another couple nights stay here this past week. the place was packed and the lobby during check-in times and meal times was like a zoo...

again, not much to add from previous posts...

*got my requested upgrade suite type and room location
*platinum amenity: chose internet for the duration of the stay
*one-time delivery of drink and snacks to the room at requested time
*excellent staff and service

The Club Lounge: All the staff members are truly amazing and offer top-notch service. As always, the lounge offers EXCELLENT food selections (definitely better than the Westin Taipei)
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:56 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The lounge food is great in the morning breakfast ^. The evening happy hour has been advertised as almost a full meal and the buffet is indeed a dinner, and that is where the problem is .

By serving a full dinner the food is OK on presentation but lacks in quality. Most items taste quite bland , I found myself use chili sauce quite frequently. The wine selection is also pretty bad. This emphasis in quantity over quality attracts a lot of patrons wanting to save the cost for dinner, including families with young children. More often than not the environment is like a noisy bar combined with a noisy Chinese restuarant. Group of people talk and laugh loudly as if they owe the place, parents trying to restrain their young children, cell phone talkers feeling no need to use the phone outside, etc..., very unlike the lounge in a typical upscale Asian hotel (including in Taipei the Westin, the Formosa Regent, Shangrila Far Eastern Plaza, Grand Hyatt etc). The staff is indeed excellent, but in crowded nights they are so busy running around like waiters and busboys of a busy restaurant the service can sometimes slow.

I rather they remove the full meal approach and use the same budget to serve quality appetizers and snacks and drinks and maintain the upscale atmosphere of the lounge. So that the happy hour can serve its purpose - before a dinner in so many great eating places in Taipei.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Jan 2, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 9, 2010, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I rather they remove the full meal approach and use the same budget to serve quality appetizers and snacks and drinks and maintain the upscale atmosphere of the lounge. So that the happy hour can serve its purpose - before a dinner in so many great eating places in Taipei.
I personally prefer the full meal approach..................^^^
Old Jan 22, 2010, 6:50 am
Original Member

Recommendation for airport transport to Sheraton

I was wondering if anyone knows the current rate for airport transportation from TPE to the Sheraton Taipei? I need to arrange something from airport to hotel. Any recommendations for car service or taxi? Thanks in advance.

Also, any updates on how Gold members are treated at hotel?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
Originally Posted by sggolf
I was wondering if anyone knows the current rate for airport transportation from TPE to the Sheraton Taipei? I need to arrange something from airport to hotel. Any recommendations for car service or taxi? Thanks in advance.

Also, any updates on how Gold members are treated at hotel?
I assume the hotel charges NT1,800 or so. They can arrange a car for you. Though I will PM you with a drivers name and email address.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:25 pm

In December, I was quoted NT2500 for a hotel car to pick up at TPE for a luxury sedan (Mercedes C-Class).

A taxi out of TPE will cost around NT1300 to NT1500 because of airport surcharges...

I normally just take the EVA Bus + Taxi (NT140+ ~NT140 = NT280 total )
Old Jan 23, 2010, 4:45 am

There is a bus going from both of the TPE terminals to Shraton Taipei at around NT100. Its second last stop is right by the side door of Sheraton so no taxi is needed. However, this bus also stops at many stops along the way, particularly in the towns around the airport and also several hotels in the Taipei city. The total trip takes 90+ minutes. If you do not mind the long time and the spartan interior and seats (with less leg room than the EVA airport bus), this is the cheapest way and no need for any transfer. If you go to the ground transportation/bus area in the arrival hall and ask for bus to Sheraton, you will be directed to take this bus as it is the only one stops at Sheraton. If you want to take the more comfortable and express EVA bus that stops only inside the Taipei city for drop offs at hotels, you need to tell the counter agent at the bus area.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:09 pm

Programs: SPG +Starwood Privilege
Antoine in Sherton Taipei

The strongly recommend the French restaurant in Sheraton Hotel in Taipei, I think it is called “”Antoine””. Dinner sets are from approx. NTD $1300 to $3600+. High quality food with excellent dinning atmosphere and services. It normally does not have too many guests comparing other restaurants in the same hotel.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, United 1P, AA Platinum, Avis First
Planning on staying on POINTS

Hi all,

I'm planning on staying either here or the Westin. I'm platinum.

I'm leaning towards this location. (7000 vs. 10000)

Do they treat revenue vs. point guests differently?

Is there free internet?

How's getting upgraded?

Anything else I should know?

Thanks
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:04 am

I usually stay at Sheraton when using points. It is a bargain for 7,000 in comparison to the 10,000 for Westin. I would shop between the two when paying.

You will get upgraded as Platinum and offered free internet.

As far as public transportation, Sheraton is more convenient as the subway stops within the same block of the hotel while one has to walk about three short blocks to the subway station if one stays at Westin.

Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.