Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hanoi [Master Thread]

Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA ExPlat, Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond

Planning a trip to Hanoi and would love to hear if anyone has experience staying at these properties? Price is pretty much the same at both hotels for my dates
Old Jan 20, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Have stayed at the JW Marriott Hanoi and really liked the property. Not the best location but not too far from the center of town. Got upgraded to a very big suite. Club lounge is nice as well with a great staff.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 4:06 am

Programs: Flying Blue (Platinum), Eurobonus (Diamond), Marriott (Titatinum), British Airways Exec Club (Gold)
I've never stayed at the JW Marriott but I stayed at the Sheraton 1 1/2 yrs ago.

To make it short: except if the porperty has been renovated since then, avoid it at any cost. In three words : old, worn out, mouldy.

You can see pictures on my blog post (the post is in french but the picts speak for themselves). https://www.travelguys.fr/2018/02/13...raiment-moisi/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 5:09 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I stayed in the Sheraton Hanoi for an event, also 1.5-2 years ago. The only thing the property has going for it is the fact that you can earn points.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, TK Elite+
Stayed at the Sheraton maybe 10 years ago and from what I hear, it is still exactly the same as it was 10 years ago (wouldn't recommend it unless you are in the West Lake area). The JW location isn't ideal either as a tourist. I've stayed in local boutique hotels near Hoan Kiem lake in the city center a few times and enjoyed it more. There are quite a few good ones around the city and are a fraction of what Marriott Group cost and breakfast is almost always included and usually pretty good too.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info.

The JW Marriott is looking like a better option, but the location seems far, especially with traffic :/
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by FlyingFrZ
Thanks for all the info.

The JW Marriott is looking like a better option, but the location seems far, especially with traffic :/
We booked a local hotel for our Hanoi trip and were quite happy with it: Hanoi La Siesta Hotel in the Old Quarter.

Room rates were reasonable: Rooms & Suites. And our junior suite came with daily complimentary laundry service, free minibar snacks & beverages, complimentary buffet breakfast. Location was outstanding and the staff was warm and friendly.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
We were there over the weekend and didn't have much traffic. Could be in the center of the city in 15-20 minutes.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 1:18 pm

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
I actually like area around west lake very tranquil and quite a few decent restaurants around ... it was a few years since I stayed there and I remember that the hotel was in need of a renovation. Back then the lounge was quite nice though . Remember paying roughly 50$ ++ per night so it was not much to complain about...
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:11 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by X-ON
I actually like area around west lake very tranquil and quite a few decent restaurants around ... it was a few years since I stayed there and I remember that the hotel was in need of a renovation. Back then the lounge was quite nice though . Remember paying roughly 50$ ++ per night so it was not much to complain about...
I’ve stayed in the Intercon next to the Sheraton and the room was nice, with a window opening over Westlake. Tranquil area but the Sheraton needs some work.

I usually stay in the Hilton as I love to walk over to the lake in the city center.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:09 am

Did I miss something? Have the hotel brand names been changed to include 'Bonvoy' as well?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 8:31 am

Stayed at JW several months ago and I really enjoyed my stay. The location may not be the best but the hotel does offer complimentary shuttle bus service to the central area. In fact, when I was there they just paid for a taxi since I was the only guest.

Hotel is very modern and I was upgraded to a suite. The lounge is one of the best I've encountered, not only in food offerings but service wise as-well.

Fantastic pool on the top floor with panoramic views.

The area was very safe especially considering it is next to a convention centre and there were always many people out on the street. If you exit the hotel and turn right the first main street (about 5-minute walk) has lots of shops and restuarants.

I checked out the other Marriott options and they all looked really dated. This would be the only Marriott hotel I'd consider in Hanoi.
barracuda93 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Seems like the JW Marriott is the best option. Thanks for all the help
Old Jan 22, 2019, 2:15 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kpfleming
Did I miss something? Have the hotel brand names been changed to include 'Bonvoy' as well?
It looks like the mods have updated the city threads from "Mariott-family Hotels in City XX" to "Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in City XX" as a way to refer to all the hotels in a certain city.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Outdoor pool/sunbathing only at Sheraton ?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.