Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:52 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SP03
Trivago, Wayfair and Spotify are all brand names. Bonvoy is the name of a loyalty program associated with a brand, but a brand by itself The equivalent would be more along the lines of Trivago Bonvay.

I can't think of any brands that have a loyalty program whose name is an "essentially meaningless nonsense word" with no association with the brand name.

Hilton used to have double H in HHonors, but it's clear that the H refers to Hilton. Same as AAdvantage. Nordstrom has the Nordy Club, but it's clear where the the stem came from.
Oh dear. Trivago is a made up brand name in exactly the same way that Bonvoy is. Your literal attempt to somehow distinguish between the brand name of a company and the brand name of a loyalty program is pretty moot. Its a brand name. Period.

We all can think of brand names that are meaningless nonsense words. Because tons of them were and are! Were just used to many now because theyve existed for enough time. Google. Yahoo. EBay. Expedia. Travelocity. Napster. Priceline. Kayak. Microsoft. Verizon. Starbucks.

We got used to them and now they seem normal. So will Bonvoy. And if it doesnt ever seem normal to you, youre welcome to change to another better sounding loyalty program regardless of how the benefits suit you.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
There is a silver lining to all this. Before today, I didnt know which corporation had the dumbest marketing department in America, and today I do!
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by emma dog
Choking on "Bonvoy"... sounds too much like American Airlines' Envoy or US Airways Envoy class.

I like the video... did anyone else catch the SPG at 0:40?
Jumped in my eyes as well. The whole video is done really badly. Hard to read and music is too loud to understand the text spoken. Also the whole style feels more like an ad for W hotels.

Also the new landing page is just bad. Social media links go to wrong pages, copyright says 2018 and did they really not find a better property other then the Renaissance Ahmedabad?
The featured image shows a tiny pool with dirty glass windows and ugly antennas on the roof. Sure, its just details, but this is exactly what happens when companies getting too big.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Ambassador 100 nights + $20K spemd
Titanium 75 nights
Platinum 50 nights
Gold 25 nights
Silver 10 nights
Member/Peon 0-9 nights
Then this really makes no sense. In the real world, platinum is more rare and expensive than titanium.
est-gratuite likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:08 pm

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CO-PLAT
Then this really makes no sense. In the real world, platinum is more rare and expensive than titanium.
True, but gold is worth 50% more than platinum these days as well.
damon88, EdV, est-gratuite and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
The new names are pretty dumb (and the name for the new program is just... meh) but I guess its pretty "marriott" = dull, boring. etc.

But I dont care about the name, I want the program to be nicely rewarding.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:21 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
In the real world, gold is now more valuable than platinum. And still the world goes on.
kalo93406 and controller1 like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
It makes sense in that Marriott anticipated the tsunami of whining that wouldve accompanied downgrading anyone from Plat to something else. Hence inserting the completely new tier above Plat - voila! - problem solved.
ryw likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
And here starts the screwing of existing members chasing lifetime platinum. They closed the level that was LTPPE. I think that is titanium now. When they did it I was really worried they would differentiate those people who were LTPPE fro LTP. They swore up and down it did not matter.

They then did exactly what I feared. Marriott c
What am I missing? What changed with qualifications and benefitdfrom yjr naming convention and benefits of the last several months?

Who "swore up and down" that Platinum Premiere and Platinum Premier Elite were exactly the same? How was a 75% vs. 50% bonus, 48 hour room guarantee vs. none and United Silver status vs. none exactly the same?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by Safti
What about those who are Lifetime Platinum Premier? If you are lifetime you don't need to have a specific number of stays per year. What will you be called?
Didn't like the answer the first two times?

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
Platinum Premier Elite will be called Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador will be called Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite.

(This applies to Lifetime naming as well).
Third time a charm?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Reid
True, but gold is worth 50% more than platinum these days as well.

Right. And all the hand wringing about FDCs thinking Plats are higher than Titaniums bc of precious metal values is really funny.

FDC: Sorry Mr Platinum- we just checked spot prices and Gold is higher today. We had to give your Suite Upgrade to a Gold Member.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold
What's in a name?

I dont understand the hate around the name? Is the name change really going to keep you from staying?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
What am I missing? What changed with qualifications and benefitdfrom yjr naming convention and benefits of the last several months?

Who "swore up and down" that Platinum Premiere and Platinum Premier Elite were exactly the same? How was a 75% vs. 50% bonus, 48 hour room guarantee vs. none and United Silver status vs. none exactly the same?

The LTPPE was 750 nights and 10 years. the LTPP was 500 nights and 10 years.

There are differences - however slight. You note them. There are more points awarded, and slightly better options for reservations and what not.

Again - if these don't matter, why not demote all the LTPPE to LTPP? There is no difference, right? It shouldn't matter at all?
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Now I'm lifetime Titanium, so at least there's a differentiator for former Plats. None of us like Plat Elite, so Titanium is better than that.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by damon88

Yeah

Here I will differ from bhrubin —. It was Very important to me to reach LTPPE/T because I suspected when it was first announced that there might be meaningful differences going forward. I understand the frustration of younger members (on the SPG side) who joined in the last 8 years who could not have achieved LTPPE even if they had 75-100 nights each year since they joined the program. (My understanding is that Marriott members could have qualified in that time period). But less so for members with 10+ years. They had the same opportunity those of us earning LTPPE had to achieve that level.

Who knows though? In the future Marriott may relent and grant LTT to members with some combo of LT nights, status, spend.

OMG - if that happens can you IMAGINE the crying here on FT?

"Those no good whipper snappers don't deserve the same status as we esteemed older members do! Who cares if they did the same exact thing!".

Seriously, they will find a way to differentiate the two tiers. If they were not going to do that - why would they change the names? Why would they even note it at all?

One would have to either be a fool to think otherwise, or perhaps a LTPPE that doesn't want competition.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.