Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
New Tier Names. This applies to Lifetime naming as well.

Platinum Premier Elite becomes Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite . (75 nights)
Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador becomes Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite. (100 nights + $20,000 spend)
Print Wikipost

Say Hello to Marriott Bonvoy, launches Feb 13, 2019

Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:08 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I totally get the complaints about benefit changes or IT screw ups.

But complaining about the name of the program? lol.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I like the vibes I get from the new program and the trailer from https://meetmarriottbonvoy.marriott.com
Is the markering folks from SPG behind this? They did a great job with the SPG program and I sincerely hope that will happen to Marriott Bonvoy as well. At least those are my feelings now after seeing the Bonvoy trailer twice.
The name feels far better than Hyatt WOH and Hilton Honors to be honest. Looking forward to feb 13.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Last edited by joakgarp; Jan 16, 2019 at 1:17 pm
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Okay, for a few more weeks I get to call myself a Plat. After that, I'm a Tit.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:30 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’m most entertained by all those complaining about the program name and a few new status names. They’re just labels. Perhaps more people should read Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

One wonders if those complaining about Bonvoy are those who also complain that the Marriott terms and conditions don’t literally and explicitly spell out every possibility for every possible scenario they can imagine. Obsessive compulsive, perhaps?

It’s Bonvoy. Deal with it. And pick your battles and complaints more carefully in the future, perhaps?

Peope also are wasting time and energy fearing that hotel staff somehow will confuse Titanium as being inferior to Platinum. Most people don’t even know what either Titanium or Platinum really are, so those fears are misplaced. First, people complained that Platinum Premier wasn’t enough to distinguish from Platinum and make Plat Premiers feel more special. Now, people are complaining that Titanium might not be perceived as superior to Platinum. Talk about moving the goal posts and some people never being satisfied...
Horace, X-ON, damon88 and 10 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Marriott Bonvoy or Bonvoy Marriott? Time will tell.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mia
Bonvoy doesn't mean anything, yet. Marriott will define it through customer experience.
Exactly!

Bonvoy is an essentially meaningless nonsense word. But it has a travel connotation ("bon voyage"). People worldwide with even the smallest exposure to the French language know that "bon" means good. It's a positive word.

We buy travel from Trivago, furniture from Wayfair, and auction items from eBay. We listen to music on Spotify.

Even hotel brands such Marriott, Hilton, and Sheraton are surnames that became meaningful through usage.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:48 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pvn
I totally get the complaints about benefit changes or IT screw ups.

But complaining about the name of the program? lol.

I don’t care what they call it as long as they deliver

(And I LOVE the fact that they are distinguishing Plat75 and Plat100 as separate levels. It recognizes and rewards the extra effort (and money) required to reach those levels. Excited to see how they execute going forward)
C17PSGR, X-ON, controller1 and 6 others like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:57 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Horace
Exactly!

Bonvoy is an essentially meaningless nonsense word. But it has a travel connotation ("bon voyage"). People worldwide with even the smallest exposure to the French language know that "bon" means good. It's a positive word.

We buy travel from Trivago, furniture from Wayfair, and auction items from eBay. We listen to music on Spotify.

Even hotel brands such Marriott, Hilton, and Sheraton are surnames that became meaningful through usage.

Great point!

Your list can go on and on- Google, Uber, Amazon, Taser, Xerox, Frisbee, Velcro etc. Made up or borrowed words that became meaningful through usage.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
I’m most entertained by all those complaining about the program name and a few new status names. They’re just labels. Perhaps more people should read Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet:

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet."

One wonders if those complaining about Bonvoy are those who also complain that the Marriott terms and conditions don’t literally and explicitly spell out every possibility for every possible scenario they can imagine. Obsessive compulsive, perhaps?

It’s Bonvoy. Deal with it. And pick your battles and complaints more carefully in the future, perhaps?

Peope also are wasting time and energy fearing that hotel staff somehow will confuse Titanium as being inferior to Platinum. Most people don’t even know what either Titanium or Platinum really are, so those fears are misplaced. First, people complained that Platinum Premier wasn’t enough to distinguish from Platinum and make Plat Premiers feel more special. Now, people are complaining that Titanium might not be perceived as superior to Platinum. Talk about moving the goal posts and some people never being satisfied...

No kidding

One of the silliest fears I’ve ever seen expressed here.

And can you imagine the angst had they dubbed us Rhodium?

Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin

This isn’t news; Marriott had announced last summer that the new Lifetime Plat Premier status (now to be called Lifetime Titanium) would only be offered once—with that sweep coming sometime this month or perhaps around the Feb 13 introduction of the new Bonvoy program. This Lifetime Titanium level was never to be offered again.

Chances are good that the bulk of Lifetime Titanium members are older and are expected to not be a significant proportion of Marriott Bonvoy elites in the coming years. So the fact that one can only attain Lifetime Titanium status based on pre-2019 qualifications might not make much of a difference after another 5-10 years or so. Marriott is counting on that, I’m sure, and has done the statistical analysis to feel comfortable with that.

Other than getting a few more points (negligible), having suite upgrade potential at Ritz-Carlton/Edition (which doesn’t seem to happen much anyway), and having suite upgrade priority over regular Platinums (which would happen with regular Ambassador and Titanium guests, anyway), I don’t think it’s going to be that big a deal in the end.

This has always been the response from people who are LTPPE. "Eh, you don't need it". RIght....

It wouldnt hurt then if they took it away from those people right? I mean if it means nothing then no one really needs it.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by damon88

I don’t care what they call it as long as they deliver
Exactly.

Glad the levels are now formally different status, and not seen as the same status with additional benefits.

Hopefully, they'll roll out the name, stabilize the platform, get hotels to deliver consistently, and leave the program alone for a couple of years.

Now ... if they understand what I mean when I say do you have my Marquis number on file
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:24 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter
This has always been the response from people who are LTPPE. "Eh, you don't need it". RIght....

It wouldnt hurt then if they took it away from those people right? I mean if it means nothing then no one really needs it.
I am not yet LTPP or Lifetime Titanium as it will be called as of Feb 13. I had only 9 years of Platinum status as of Aug 18. I attained the 10th year in 2018 and do expect to reach LTPP/LTT after the January sweep.

Marriott is simply rewarding its best and most loyal long-term elite customers who already had LTP status in either legacy program or were about to reach it by end of 2018. I actually think it would have been smarter for Marriott to only grant LTP status as its highest Lifetime tier under the new loyalty program. But Marriott thought otherwise. I’m happy that I can qualify.

If it worries you so much that others may be Titanium/Lifetime Titanium and therefore higher in status than your own presumed Platinum/Lifetime Platinum status, you still can achieve Titanium status by achieving 75 nights at Marriott properties. What with 10 nights from your first meeting and with 15 nights from holding a Marriott credit card, you only need to actually stay 50 nights to achieve Titanium. If you can’t stay 50 nights in a year to achieve the Titanium status you crave, I doubt it’s worth Marriott’s time or energy to worry much about you.

As someone who stays well beyond 100 nights, and has done so for the past 6 years with SPG alone, I can’t really empathize with you.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:30 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by FlyingBeanCounter

Yeah

Here I will differ from bhrubin —. It was Very important to me to reach LTPPE/T because I suspected when it was first announced that there might be meaningful differences going forward. I understand the frustration of younger members (on the SPG side) who joined in the last 8 years who could not have achieved LTPPE even if they had 75-100 nights each year since they joined the program. (My understanding is that Marriott members could have qualified in that time period). But less so for members with 10+ years. They had the same opportunity those of us earning LTPPE had to achieve that level.

Who knows though? In the future Marriott may relent and grant LTT to members with some combo of LT nights, status, spend.
CIT85 and bhrubin like this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Horace
Exactly!

Trivago, Wayfair and Spotify are all brand names. Bonvoy is the name of a loyalty program associated with a brand, but a brand by itself The equivalent would be more along the lines of Trivago Bonvay.

I can't think of any brands that have a loyalty program whose name is an "essentially meaningless nonsense word" with no association with the brand name.

Hilton used to have double H in HHonors, but it's clear that the H refers to Hilton. Same as AAdvantage. Nordstrom has the Nordy Club, but it's clear where the the stem came from.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Exactly.

Glad the levels are now formally different status, and not seen as the same status with additional benefits.

Hopefully, they'll roll out the name, stabilize the platform, get hotels to deliver consistently, and leave the program alone for a couple of years.
I’d like to see the standard room loophole increasingly being used to black out award redemptions closed before they commence leaving the program alone (and let’s see how this whole peak thing shakes out this year). But otherwise I certainly agree that paring down to a single status tier with the word “Platinum” in it rectifies one of the most egregious blunders from early days.

And I’m already completely at ease with the new program name, moving from ambivalence towards full embrace (not that it much matters one way or the other). As I’ve said previously, it sure beats something unimaginative such as “Loyalty Plus” or some such drivel.

I’ll surely be back to ranting and raving tomorrow morning, but today I’d like to acknowledge a job well done by Marriott from my perspective (and please know that this is NOT meant to troll anyone who feels strongly against the name(s) - it’s just my view, and I believe if you complain often such as I have lately then you should also acknowlege whatever positive you can find).
damon88 and ryw like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.