Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Check-in to a prepaid room even though not going?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

I had to cancel a trip last minute but it was a prepaid rate. I can't even go in to cancel at this point (online it says "in progress" since last night even though check in is today. The mobile app gives me option to check in...should I just check in and get the rewards credit or call them to cancel?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Former Amtrak Select, Former Hilton Gold
I would check in and hope to get the credit
Old Jan 15, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by jimikim
I had to cancel a trip last minute but it was a prepaid rate. I can't even go in to cancel at this point (online it says "in progress" since last night even though check in is today. The mobile app gives me option to check in...should I just check in and get the rewards credit or call them to cancel?
I don't think checking in with the app will count, in my experience, it's more of a pre-check-in and you only get credit if you show. But if you do try it please report back your results and let us know if you get credit.

As to accessing your reservation online (including the cancel button), you can still get to the page by copying the confirmation number and clicking on "Don't see your reservation" and searching for it that way. It will take you to the normal screen as if the "in progress" text wasn't there.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 8:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ajwright
I don't think checking in with the app will count, in my experience, it's more of a pre-check-in and you only get credit if you show. But if you do try it please report back your results and let us know if you get credit.

As to accessing your reservation online (including the cancel button), you can still get to the page by copying the confirmation number and clicking on "Don't see your reservation" and searching for it that way. It will take you to the normal screen as if the "in progress" text wasn't there.
I also had success in seeing an "in progress" reservation (which was in that status on the morning I was to arrive, long before I arrived to check in, where I wasn't even offered on line check in) by clicking through from the reminder email that was sent to me by the hotel a few days earlier. I was a bit surprised that I didn't need to log in to see the details and I was also still able to change some requested items such as extra towels.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:00 pm

Call the hotel directly. I've never come across a hotel which isn't delighted to take your money and give you stay credit for not staying with them. I've also sometimes had hotels offer to refund the pre-paid rate in hopes of future business. A third option I've encountered is getting the hotel to let you postpone your stay until a future date.

There's plenty of options. Give 'em a call. The worst thing they can tell you is "no."
silverforumsurf likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by jimikim

Does the hotel have mobile key?
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by KRSW
I've never come across a hotel which isn't delighted to take your money and give you stay credit for not staying with them.
I'm sure they'd rather get the money and not have to give stay credit. They've already gotten the money, so why pay anything to Bonvoy?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm sure they'd rather get the money and not have to give stay credit. They've already gotten the money, so why pay anything to Bonvoy?
Exactly.

Most FTers who say "the hotel won't care" simply don't understand how the hotel business works, with its contractual arrangements between independent entities, etc. Breaking the rules is never irrelevant for a hotel operator.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:24 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
From my experience, the "in progress" shows within 24 hrs of your stay. The system will not let you apply suite night awards. I suspect the reservation is handed off to the hotel as corporate can't make any changes, nor force suite night awards.

You might get away with it if it is a mobile key property but I would probably just call and plead a case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.