Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Maldives

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Maldives

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2019, 7:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Arrow Marriott Bonvoy hotels in the Maldives

Platinum Elite here looking to stay at either W or St Regis this coming September for an anniversary but struggling on which to choose and looking for advice. Wife and I are looking to scuba dive but otherwise low standards and looking for that once in a lifetime experience. I currently have about 200k points but have plenty of Amex/Chase points to transfer to Marriott for the rest.

I have one points advance booking at each hotel: 5 nights beach villa at the W for 240k and 5 night OVW bungalow at St Regis for 440k (would prefer GV prob but no availability). Opportunity cost of the extra 200k pts I put at about $3,000 I could’ve used for other travel, but I don’t want to miss out on St Regis OVW. W seems good enough to me, but anyone have any advice?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 8:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Lookoutitzsean!

We were upgraded to the OVW at the W and it was fabulous.

We stayed in a beach villa at the StR and toured the OVW.

For our taste we much preferred the vibe of the W. The coral was betters well.

We would go back to the W but my wife says the Maldives is done. Prefers to explore new places.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by yosithezet
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Lookoutitzsean!

We were upgraded to the OVW at the W and it was fabulous.

We stayed in a beach villa at the StR and toured the OVW.

For our taste we much preferred the vibe of the W. The coral was betters well.

We would go back to the W but my wife says the Maldives is done. Prefers to explore new places.
Thanks for the advice yosithezet (and helping create a thread). Did you find out about the upgrade prior to the stay or at check in and were you also platinum elite?
Old Jan 13, 2019, 11:06 pm

I was Platinum with an Ambassador. This was 2015 before the Marriott acquisition. Upon arrival at the property I asked if we could see a villa that was a class above what we had booked so we can consider moving to one for a few nights. They said they weren't sure why I wanted to see that one as we were upgraded into an OWV.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:42 pm

JW vs. Westin Maldives, better experience and upgrade chance?

Trying to decide between JW Maldives vs. Westin Maldives in feb/March 2020. I realize JW is not open yet, but do you think the JW will be that much better of an experience? and, does one have a better chance to be upgraded (titanium level) to overwater if booking with bonvoy points? This will be our only visit to the Maldives

Last edited by tkl1992; Jun 24, 2019 at 7:56 pm
Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by tkl1992
Trying to decide between JW Maldives vs. Westin Maldives in feb/March 2020. I realize JW is not open yet, but do you think the JW will be that much better of an experience? and, does one have a better chance to be upgraded (titanium level) to overwater if booking with bonvoy points? This will be our only visit to the Maldives
JW has overwater villas for the same price as beach villas.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:33 pm

I am planning to go for our honeymoon for 10 days in November. Thinking to go to Westin or W. Looking for some advice which hotel will be best for honeymoon?
Probably more interesting in W as it higher category and reef for snorkeling is very nice according to reviews, but just afraid that is it pretty old hotel compare to Westin, which was opened last year.
I don't care about room price as for me it will be same if I will go to Westin or W.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AE*E, Hyatt Diamond, AAdv, BA Exec
Westin vs. St Regis Maldives

Would love to get some advice from the community. Which one is better (Westin vs. St Regis Maldives) for 2 adults and 2 kids (both under 7) and why?
Old Dec 16, 2019, 9:20 am

Didn't want to sidetrack the St Regis thread too much, but does anyone have rumors or details of the potential Ritz Maldives? A poster mentioned 2020 opening, but haven't seen anything on the internet other than one blog that was speculating but didn't have much detail.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by Dn10
Didn't want to sidetrack the St Regis thread too much, but does anyone have rumors or details of the potential Ritz Maldives? A poster mentioned 2020 opening, but haven't seen anything on the internet other than one blog that was speculating but didn't have much detail.
https://maldives.net.mv/35896/singap...carlton-hotel/

to answer own question looks like one is opening up end of this year or early next year. Speed boat away from MLE and nearby 2 other hotels.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 8:03 am

Programs: MR rewards
St.Regis vs JW

Any one stayed at both of these hotels in Maldives can tell us more about them ?
​​​​​
Want to surprise my wife next month for her birthday for 3 nights, both looks amazing but want to hear from someone stayed at both for comparing ..

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 20, 2020, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To comment briefly on the general question in your thread title and not specifically Maldives properties, a big difference is that JW hotels generally have rather decent lounges while StR generally do not have lounges. JW is legacy Marriott, often larger, with more cookie cutter rooms, while StR is a legacy Starwood brand with hotels that seem more individual and more luxurious IMO. YMMV.
Old Sep 20, 2020, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by weld3z
Any one stayed at both of these hotels in Maldives can tell us more about them ?
​​​​​
Want to surprise my wife next month for her birthday for 3 nights, both looks amazing but want to hear from someone stayed at both for comparing ..

Thanks in advance
We haven’t stayed at the JW. We have stayed at the W and StR and I would recommend the W over STR.
Old Sep 21, 2020, 1:41 am

Programs: AA EXP / Marriott AMB & LT Titanium
Originally Posted by weld3z
​​​​​

Thanks in advance
I am also interested as I currently have a reservation for 5 nights at StR and 5 nights at JW but plan on changing it to one hotel for the entire time due to the changing requirements regarding resort hopping which is currently PCR test prior to switching hotels.

We’ve already been to the W & StR last year.
Old Oct 16, 2020, 9:24 am

Best Cat 7 or 8 Hotel in Maldives for Families?

We want to travel to Maldives February 2022 for five nights with an energetic daughter. Not sure when the reward booking window will start, 360 days? 350 days?

Anyhow, we have been to St Regis and loved it (OWV).

This time, with a 5 yo, we probably will want a beach villa with its own pool.

We want a place that offers free brekkie (Titanium) for all three us (or, relatively moderate fee for the kid).

Thinking St. Regis might still be our best choice. Any other suggestions (e.g. hotel and room type)?

We'd prefer a King bed and a pull-out sofa or a small bed for her. Two doubles would work too.

Discuss away!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.