Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Useless point redemption limited to cheapest rooms?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Useless point redemption limited to cheapest rooms?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I've been offered upgrades by cash and/or points online booking RCs in Barcelona and Vienna. It was 100 Euros a night for club level/lounge access in Spain and 220 Euros in Austria, which also had a points upgrade for double the nightly points (from 50K to 115K). Vienna also had an upgrade from standard award room to a balcony for 80 Euros a night, which was a little more than the cost difference in cash price (68 Euros).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:07 am

Programs: BA DL
Originally Posted by daloosh
I've been offered upgrades by cash and/or points online booking RCs in Barcelona and Vienna. It was 100 Euros a night for club level/lounge access in Spain and 220 Euros in Austria, which also had a points upgrade for double the nightly points (from 50K to 115K). Vienna also had an upgrade from standard award room to a balcony for 80 Euros a night, which was a little more than the cost difference in cash price (68 Euros).
Interesting! I didn't know that Marriott IT had the functionality to offer cash/points upgrades on-line. Good news, as I will try a few more hotels to see if I can trigger an offer.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dcstudent
OP, nothing strange with only offering base rooms. Starwood only had base rooms for points, but you could call and get higher level rooms for more points (often as little as 1000-1500 extra points a night). Not sure if Marriott offers the same in the merged program (as I've only redeemed for base rooms and applied SNAs since 8/18).
The legacy SPG website would sometimes tell you to call (instead of displaying the points for a standard room) when you searched for awards. This often meant that the hotel was offering higher category rooms for more points, but sometimes it also meant that the hotel would accept the 50% off rack rates for 1,000 points certs.

Once I noticed that a hotel was offering its very last room, which was a club suite, for points on the website and I grabbed it. I had been watching rates and availability, so this was a pleasant surprise as it was a great redemption in terms of cents per point.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Hotels can and often choose to only offer the base level rooms for award redemptions. What's the surprise here? Is a free night not something of value if it's in a base level room? You can always reach out to properties and try to negotiate a cash upgrade on a point rate.
Is this a serious response? LOL, "the surprise" is that people want higher-tier rooms, just like frequent flyers want to redeem for business or first class.

The fact that someone wants a suite doesn't mean they find no value in a standard room, either. That makes no sense. At a restaurant, sometimes I order chateaubriand, that doesn't mean I never find value in a hamburger.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by wingzing
I too used to regularly obtain executive club rooms on points with SPG. I just tried to do this for a couple of Marriott properties (Sheraton and JW Marriott in HK) and the agent said that only base rooms are available at ALL Marriott properties, including ex-SPG properties. Empirically, this seems to be correct, but I have not seen an official announcement. Sure makes Rewards points less appealing to me.
It's not true that all Marriott properties only make available base rooms. For example, Marriott Wailea routinely offers base rooms plus upgraded rooms for either points and cash or extra points. I can't really comment on booking club rooms with points, however (Marriott Wailea doesn't have a club lounge).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Welcome to FT, GeorgeM!

Because that's the way all hotel programs are set up. No hotel chain feels it's important to offer anything higher, though some individual properties may.
Hilton lets you do it through the website, Hyatt does as well (although the interface is limited, generally you have to call).
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
...the agent said that only base rooms are available at ALL Marriott properties, including ex-SPG properties.
My guess is the agent is confusing that Marriott properties must include at least their base rooms for awards. Now whether a hotel must add ALL base rooms or just some % of them to the award inventory, I have no idea as Marriott said one thing earlier in the merger, but hotel current practice seems to be different.

Note that I have a reservation in 2 weeks at the JW Cancun in a Club room using a combination of different rate types. For one night I'm using awards (70K for club room/night). For other nights, I'm paying cash (as their cash rate includes some nice add-ons like nightly resort credits). Note that I actually had the option on the award nights to get a Club room using a base award (50K points) plus $100/night. I decided I'd rather spend the extra 20K/night rather than pay the extra $120 including taxes/fees though. There were options to upgrade to their some of their suites. I could have used 75K points/night or 50K+$125/night to stay in a Grand Suite (no club access though.)

My experience has been that more "business traveler" oriented hotels tend to not offer much more than a base room for points. Resorts though more often tend to offer more award upgrade options just like the JW Cancun has. I've usually equated that to the fact that traditional FS "city" Marriotts tend to only have base rooms and CL level rooms where resorts quite often have a myriad of different levels/types of rooms quite often including many more suites.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: BA DL
..... and the agent said that only base rooms are available at ALL Marriott properties, including ex-SPG properties.
From my earlier post. Clearly false. Able to book executive floor at Melbourne Marriott using either points or cash and points.

Properties can (but most don't) offer non-base rooms.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by pvn
The fact that someone wants a suite doesn't mean they find no value in a standard room, either. That makes no sense. At a restaurant, sometimes I order chateaubriand, that doesn't mean I never find value in a hamburger.
I'm just addressing what was written in the OP.
What is the reason to belong to a loyalty program if you really can't redeem them for anything of value?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.