Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacasta Costa Rica)

Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Hotel excluding suites from upgrades (JW Guanacaste Costa Rica)

Hi all!

I noticed that the JW Marriott in Costa Rica is limiting upgrades to one room category and clearly excluding suites for all award stays regardless of status. Isn’t this against the T&C? What are your thoughts on this?

Update: Response from Marriott

Hello, Jose! The hotel is not violating our Terms and Conditions. It states that they may include suites, \"subject to availability and identified by each Participating Property". The hotels are not required to provide suite rooms as upgrades. We are sorry that you are disappointed with this; however, it does not violate our T&C. If you have any further questions, please let us know!

Last edited by joseror; Jan 1, 2019 at 9:59 pm
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:42 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Blatantly against the T&C’s. Marriott just isn’t even trying.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
This is peak Marriott right here. Blatant T&C violation, put right on the website in a big banner that shows up on the booking page. For a JW Marriott property no less.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Copa ConnectMiles Platinum, United Gold
Just asked SPG via Facebook and this was their response: "Enhanced Room Upgrades for Platinum members are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property. We have checked and this hotel do not offer Suite upgrades." So...are hotels from any brand now able to exclude suites from the upgrade pool at their discretion? If so, why even bother advertising suite upgrades as a Plat benefit?
Old Dec 30, 2018, 11:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I miss Starwood.
Dambus, CPRich, X-ON and 18 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:04 am

Not an apologist and haven't reviewed the T&Cs on this specific matter, but isn't it Marriott's thing that if they add "resort" to the name of the property, the elite benefits basically go out the window? That certainly seems to be my experience.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:09 am

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Not an apologist and haven't reviewed the T&Cs on this specific matter, but isn't it Marriott's thing that if they add "resort" to the name of the property, the elite benefits basically go out the window? That certainly seems to be my experience.
Actually, post-merger there are better benefits at resorts than in the past, mostly relating to breakfast offerings. There is no special provision for resorts in the upgrade guidelines.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
M&A rarely are good for the consumer
dw, DrMilano, Quinlanty and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wow, just wow.

Here are the T&C. I've highlighted two key provisions:
Platinum Elite Members receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in. Complimentary upgrade includes suites, rooms with desirable views, rooms on high floors, corner rooms, rooms with special amenities or rooms on Executive Floors. At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members and rooms with direct Club access are excluded. Enhanced Room Upgrades are subject to availability and are identified by each Participating Property. The Complimentary Enhanced Room Upgrade for Platinum Elite Members is available at all Participating Brands except at Marriott Vacation Club, Marriott Grand Residence Club, Aloft, Element and participating Vistana properties.
If they're going to allow the second provision ("identified by each Participating Property") to override the first ("best available room"), then that's some serious deception of their customers.

The list of "stay away" properties just keeps getting longer. And I keep coming back to whether I can find a way to do 60 Hyatt next year (though they have their share of properties that game the rules hard, as well).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I miss Starwood.
As do I, but I never had even the faintest of hopes that the elements of SPG we liked would ever make their way to Marriott legacy hotels.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Wow, just wow.

Here are the T&C. I've highlighted two key provisions:
If they're going to allow the second provision ("identified by each Participating Property") to override the first ("best available room"), then that's some serious deception of their customers.
That was long the practice of SPG. The upgrade was to select standard suites. Not every suite was in the upgrade pool.

This discussion could happen every week. Every time it's like somebody thinks he's discovered the Watergate break-in.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:56 am

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Someone had just posted in one of the Facebook Platinum groups that a property manager they were speaking to told them that they were getting more instructions from the top to stop giving away so many suite upgrades. It certainly does seem like we see WAY less post merger, at least for me.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That was long the practice of SPG. The upgrade was to select standard suites. Not every suite was in the upgrade pool.

This discussion could happen every week. Every time it's like somebody thinks he's discovered the Watergate break-in.
Um, you seem to have completely missed the point of the thread, which is JW Guanacaste's published policy limiting Platinum upgrades to one category, no suites of any kind. Hardly the same thing as limiting Plat upgrades to standard suites
supatight80 and arlflyer like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Actually, post-merger there are better benefits at resorts than in the past, mostly relating to breakfast offerings.
Oh yeah man, for sure. The fruit cup and muffin at Wailea really made my stay.

Originally Posted by Kacee
I would not say that it is deception, as the statement is rhetorically sound. A room is only "available" if the property chooses it to be.

That being said, it is the sort of logic only a lawyer could like. And I am not a lawyer.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Oh yeah man, for sure. The fruit cup and muffin at Wailea really made my stay.

I would not say that it is deception, as the statement is rhetorically sound. A room is only "available" if the property chooses it to be.

That being said, it is the sort of logic only a lawyer could like. And I am not a lawyer.
This. It says “subject to availability” like 3X but they never actually define what “available” truly means. Clearly, the hotel in the OP is claiming that they’re not “available.”

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.