Water Pressure Issue at Hotel

Old Dec 8, 18, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; UA Premier Silver
Water Pressure Issue at Hotel

I had a recent stay at a hotel and the second morning (Wednesday) I went to take a shower there was an issue with the water pressure (see video below). It was nearly impossible to shower due to this. I was in a rush to get to work and didn't have time to go to a different room even if it was offered. On my way past the front desk I asked if the whole hotel was having an issue with water pressure or just my room. I was told it was the whole hotel and engineers were on the roof looking into it. I returned to the hotel that evening and the water pressure was fine. The next morning (Thursday) it was fine as well and when checking out, I mentioned the issue to the lady at the front desk and showed her the video. She asked what time this occurred and I let her know it was about 7:00am. She stated that sometimes happens when the hotel is sold out and offered me points. I asked how many and she said she is only authorized to give me 1,200 points. I asked her to have a manager call me instead as that was not acceptable. I have not received a call back from the manager and I left a voicemail this morning on the manager's line but haven't heard back.

What are your thoughts on what should be offered? I do not expect the stay to be free, or even one night to be fully compensated, but I do expect more than 1,200 points.

Old Dec 8, 18, 5:49 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me, I'd ask for 7,500 points and be satisfied with 5,000. I'm sure that others will suggest a much richer remedy.
Old Dec 8, 18, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Plat; Hilton Gold; UA Premier Silver
Forgot to mention the name of the hotel as that is usually the first question asked...

St. Petersburg Marriott Clearwater
Old Dec 8, 18, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Half of the points required to stay one night in the hotel might be a reasonable benchmark to request, then be happy if you get a third or a quarter of the points required for a night there.

Still, I'd be annoyed by the different stories: engineers working on roof to fix the issue versus this happens all the time when we're full.
Old Dec 9, 18, 11:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Premier, Conited Gold (and falling)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Still, I'd be annoyed by the different stories: engineers working on roof to fix the issue versus this happens all the time when we're full.
Agreed, I cannot stand it when someone makes up a line. We all know that water pressure and hot water temps can be affected by high occupancy, or if you're trying to shower at 7:30 AM when everyone else is. That's not a big deal at all. Having no flow, with guys fixing things on the roof, is a completely different matter. It does sound like the hotel was quick to fix the issue, but I would ask for more than 1,200 points. I would also let the manager know that I don't appreciate stupid BS answers from the staff. They had a water pressure issue due to something mechanical, not heavy usage, and they brought in repairmen who fixed the mechanical issue. Okay, things happen, the first person you spoke to about it was honest and gave you the correct info. You had a bad morning, but at least you knew what the issue was.
Old Dec 9, 18, 2:19 pm

Programs: Liftime SPG Platinum
Just tell them that due to the water situation you had to heat up water in the kettle to wash your hair. That your hair smelled like coffee for a full day. Never go wrong with that one.
Old Dec 9, 18, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tfong007 View Post
Just tell them that due to the water situation you had to heat up water in the kettle to wash your hair. That your hair smelled like coffee for a full day. Never go wrong with that one.
Wouldn't that be making stuff up? Maybe saying that you were forced to wash hair in coffee would result in more points.