Summer USA Trip - IDEAS???

Old Dec 8, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

hawaii definitely great activity wise among a number of other things, and autograph mauna kea for beach (maybe best in americas excluding caribbean?)

disney best done with kids.. unless it is a kid who does not enjoy disney

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
We do love the RC Aruba-its isolated quiet and a great place. You can end up in resorts that make you feel like you are on Myrtle Beach or OC MD. I don't like those places. Aruba is popular because the weather is always great. Each to get to. No hurricane threat.
weather makes tons of sense, something i had not looked at, thanks, and nice to hear new RC is in ideal location there

a few of us are weird cases because we have gone extremely high end in order to get properties that are less like hotels including in more remote areas. tradeoff is choosing to travel a lot less. while my style is not quite scrub island (BVI) and french leave, those are not big box resorts, great for marriott to sign as autograph. re BVI i did love the place destination wise including locals and local flavors.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 8, 2018 at 7:27 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
Ever been to Alaska?
Old Dec 9, 2018, 5:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Ever been to Alaska?
There aren't any Starriott resorts there. Best seems to be a Sheraton in downtown Anchorage that doesn't get glowing reviews and a Fairfield Inn or something in a good location in downtown Faribanks.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There aren't any Starriott resorts there. Best seems to be a Sheraton in downtown Anchorage that doesn't get glowing reviews and a Fairfield Inn or something in a good location in downtown Faribanks.
There is a full service Marriott downtown. But Anchorage is not much of a destination. It’s best as a starting point to explore Alaska. Downtown Anchorage is actually a bit sketchy in my opinion. Everything you’d want to see is outside of town. I did stay at the Marriott the two times I’ve been there for work. It’s pretty good, but not holiday worthy.

I’ll concur on the Wentworth by the Sea recommendation. It’s a great location.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wentworth_by_the_Sea
somehow i missed it becoming marriott (franchise)
agree a great example of marriott porfolio
Old Dec 9, 2018, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
could add on cuba, definitely complex logistically but you have some time
Ya, if we go toward the Caribbean I'd like to add Cuba. It appears to not be that difficult.

Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
Ritz Aruba?
I have never been to Aruba so am considering it.

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
bahamas also includes atlantis, including cove

if OP said "Cancun many times so not enticed"

it's category 7 , RC is first / only high end brand in aruba , not sure why aruba is so popular with americans ("2 million tourists per year visit Aruba, with nearly 80% of those from the United States." according to a US govt website)
The kids really want to go to Atlantis so have to save that for them.

Originally Posted by twa777
I guess the kids would be upset if you went to Disney World without them, eh?

Though really, the Swan and Dolphin (formerly Starwood) are nice and located right in the center of things, and Disney offers golf, spas, fine dining etc. It can make for a fun getaway for adults that might still be a bit kids at heart. You don't have to tell your children everything you do, right?
That will be a trip with kids.

Originally Posted by stvr
The Autograph Collection at Bay Harbor, Michigan and then go to Mackinac
Very interested in this. If we go north this is a likely destination. Never been there. Doing some research.

Originally Posted by Retired FF
Not exactly known for its beaches OR high end Marriott resorts, but Vancouver and Victoria in Canada!! Your dollar gets u 1.34 Canadian dollars, so it goes far when it comes to dining (great seafood) and shopping. A side ferry trip to Victoria which is beautiful in summer.
Have not been up there in 30 years. I understand it's changed a lot. It's not out of the question.

Originally Posted by ChrisHaynesUSA
Although not USA, the SFO-SIN route can be purchased for a little as 782 round trip per person on United.
Marina bay sands at the top of the hotel list is a great stay and other hotels can use the air miles to book.
China town offer great shopping and the weather is always nice.
nice airfare but we are hitting Japan next month so don't need to make two trips to the orient in the same year.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most of the southeastern USA will be hot and humid in the summer, although some major cities outside of the southeast such as DC and Philly have that problem too.

Aruba has a reputation as a party island. Since kids can drink there at 18 (or even younger as I suspect they don't bother carding people much), it's very popular for spring break as well as bachelor parties etc. with underage people included.
We are very weather conscious for sure.

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Boston and north to Maine. I'm a fan of Wentworth by the Sea outside Portsmouth, New Hampshire. It's a great time to eat lobster, see beautiful coastal scenery, and do a few cultural things along the way.
Very interested in this. Am going to research. Wentworth looks super nice.

Originally Posted by SpicyMorale
Ever been to Alaska?
Not a Alaska guy. Never been but doesn't interest me. Having said that I think every single person I know who has gone has loved it but doesn't interest me.

Someone else mentioned Hawaii and we are going there in a couple months so probably won't go twice in the same year.

Again, BIG thanks to everybody. I think current debate is:

1) Aruba/Jamaica/Cuba/other down that way
2) Upper Mid West - Chicago/Michigan/etc...
3) Northeast - Wentworth, Toronto or Montreal, Boston, other - need to look at map.

Lots of great ideas here. Thank you all. Once I map it I'll try to remember to post to tell you all what we ended up with for those interested in such things.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ritz carlton montreal very well regarded
new york has multiple well regarded properties
can still book before new category kicks in?

agree re atlantis for kids but cove does have adult pool

alaska can be best by water and or air, and even then the options for on water are not equivalent to the best award hotels while costing quite a bit

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Dec 9, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Old Dec 9, 2018, 4:56 pm
Community Director Emerita

As part of your research for the Michigan trip, take a look at Traverse City. You'll be relatively close while at the Inn at Bay Harbor. It has good restaurants and great outdoor art galleries. We bought several pieces for our yard at Twisted Fish Gallery. It's also a lot of fun to drive north along the Lake Michigan shore line. There are some towns with amazing turn of the 20th century summer homes.

While you're researching southern Maine and New Hampshire, take a look at the FlyerTalk destination forums. I think there's been some extensive discussion about where to find great lobster and clams. We always head to The Clam Box in Ipswich before driving further north. There are a number of historic sites in southern Maine including one of the few Shaker Communities in the US, Sabbathday. Portland, Maine, is another great place to base yourself for a few days. It has terrific restaurants.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Could very well throw Toronto in with Michigan. You should look at all the Delta hotels Canada has if you head into Ontario.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.