Wiki Posts
Search

Lifetime platinum status match?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Lifetime platinum status match?

Has anyone had any success or heard of status matching lifetime platinum with another chain? I think there is an opportunity for the competition to get some of Starriotts customer base. Things have just gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks and I am wondering if there are any options for lifetimers.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by tfong007
Has anyone had any success or heard of status matching lifetime platinum with another chain? I think there is an opportunity for the competition to get some of Starriotts customer base. Things have just gotten progressively worse over the past few weeks and I am wondering if there are any options for lifetimers.
I'm gonna say the odds of this happening are about zero. Can you imagine the uproar if Marriott started granting complimentary LT status to someone who's been loyal to say Hyatt or Hilton for the last 10 years?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I'm gonna say the odds of this happening are about zero. Can you imagine the uproar if Marriott started granting complimentary LT status to someone who's been loyal to say Hyatt or Hilton for the last 10 years?
I think s/he wants to use his/her Marriott lifetime status to get a comp with another chain. At least that's how I read it. And I think that the use of lifetime is a distraction as I agree with you it doesn't enter into status matches. No new chain will gift lifetime but they might gift one year status.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 7:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
No new chain will gift lifetime but they might gift one year status.
Even one year has a very low likelihood. If you have lifetime status, but not current status, you have no value to any chain.
myko85 likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 4:43 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Even one year has a very low likelihood. If you have lifetime status, but not current status, you have no value to any chain.
I will say that MSC Cruises matched me to their top level (Black) specifically because I was a LT Plat Marriott member. I do believe others who were not LT but Plat with Marriott were not matched to that same level.

As for other hotel chains matching my Marriott status, I would guess it depends on what information they require for a status match. Basically, how would Hilton, IHG, Hyatt, and so on know whether my status with Marriott was only due to my LT status or due to current levels of travel if I was only asked to show an elite card?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm not sure that any chain will even offer one year but part of me says why not?
If another chain grants me one year and I stay a few times, the loss isn't that great. However if I am a frequent traveler and the one year status match [or even a X night in Y days will get you top/mid status for a year] and it pushes that traveler to the new chain, its probably worth it.

Low risk, high reward
Original Poster

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I would think that lifetime platinum customers have some value to the competition. If there was ever a time for them to get some new customers this would be it.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I will say that MSC Cruises matched me to their top level (Black) specifically because I was a LT Plat Marriott member.....
Interesting info. Do other cruse lines offer status match from hotel programs?
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
AA did a great job of grabbing a chunk of my business (and I know many others) back in 2012 and onward when UA had a similarly terrible couple years working through their merger...I can't believe we haven't seen more matching efforts by Hyatt/Hilton/IHG, etc...
Old Dec 4, 2018, 5:53 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TerryK
Interesting info. Do other cruse lines offer status match from hotel programs?
AFAIK, MSC Cruises is the only cruise line that has a status match program. There is a thread or 2 on it in the Cruises forum.
Old Dec 4, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by tfong007
I would think that lifetime platinum customers have some value to the competition. If there was ever a time for them to get some new customers this would be it.
Some value, sure. But not enough to give someone lifetime status. Giving Marriott/Bonvoy LT P’s or PP’s 1-year of status might be of nterest to them though. I agree with one of the previous posts, imagine the uproar if Marriott gave LT status to someone who previously held no status.

Last edited by GoPhils; Dec 4, 2018 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.