Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Bowgie
This may sound dumb, but what is the harm of my passport number being out in the hands of hackers?
In the news today, Senator Chuck Schumer says Marriott should pay everyone's fee for a new passport.
My bank account in China is accessed by passport number.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
The race is on in the US. Can Europe be far behind?

https://www.zdnet.com/article/marrio...g-data-breach/
Old Dec 3, 2018, 8:53 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
So has everyone received their "breach" email yet?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HomerJ
LOL yeah right - I can't even get them to send e-folios to me
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Has anyone seen anything if the passport numbers are only for the primary name on the reservation or of everyone who checked in?
Old Dec 3, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Has anyone seen anything if the passport numbers are only for the primary name on the reservation or of everyone who checked in?
While what was specifically included in the breach is still unknown, I can tell you when my sister and her family of four made their reservation for the Prague Sheraton six months or so ago the Website did ask for the names and SS#s passport #s for all four guests. It was part of the record and something the Website was set up to capture.

We did not originally add the passport numbers but shortly after making the reservation received an email from the hotel manager indicating those numbers needed to be added or the reservation would be canceled, and if the passports presented at check-in had different numbers there would be an issue.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 3:08 am Reason: Merged and removed redacted content.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While what was specifically included in the breach is still unknown, I can tell you when my sister and her family of four made their reservation for the Prague Sheraton six months or so ago the Website did ask for the names and SS#s for all four guests. It was part of the record and something the Website was set up to capture.
Surely it violates USA federal law for a private entity to demand social security numbers for a purpose (or no purpose at all) not related to clearly permitted uses (such as employment).

When I stayed at the Sheraton on Charles Square in Prague, no one asked for my social security number, and I certainly would not have given it to them.

BTW, if you make up a number in the correct format, how would they know the difference? When someone insists, I sometimes give my phone number as (800) 555-1212 or (local area code) 555-1212 (the number for directory listings).
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HomerJ
No, I haven't yet sent them a telegram to remind them of my fax number. They should know my email address, but apparently Starriott disapproves of that technology.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
We did not originally add the passport numbers but shortly after making the reservation received an email from the hotel manager indicating those numbers needed to be added or the reservation would be canceled, and if the passports presented at check-in had different numbers there would be an issue.
Understood. I had Iberia ask for my passport to confirm identify for my Avios account. I sent them the info but blacked out the passport number for security reasons. They responded that I had to give them the passport number or they would close my account. I though that was pretty bizarre considering it was all after the GDPR was implemented as I can't think of any reason they need my passport number for an Avios account. As for the hotel, the probably need it under Czech law but I don't like providing that information by email as it is highly insecure.

I also noted that my MR account doesn't contain my full birthday ... only month/day.

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 3:10 am Reason: Removed redacted content
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:28 am

That sounds like a phishing scam...

Last edited by yosithezet; Dec 5, 2018 at 3:10 am
Old Dec 3, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
As for the hotel, the probably need it under Czech law but I don't like providing that information by email as it is highly insecure.
That is what the manager indicated in the email. I had made the reservation because they were leaving in a couple weeks and she had not made the reservations, so I was getting nervous. We had been on the phone for hours with various travel providers and she hung up before we finished this last reservation. The manager volunteered to give them lounge access which was much appreciated. I am sorry to see that hotel leave Marriott.

Ironically we got off the phone an hour or so ago making her travel arrangements for Christmas because she was dragging her feet on those.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:05 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by kyanar
That they haven't even sent out an impersonal notification of the potential for our information to have leaked when they've had more than enough time to spin up a reputation management firm and get a press release in the hands of the New York Times, and get FlyerTalk to publish a complete load of tripe on the front page while they're at it, is the problem.

Legally, they must notify customers of the breach. They've acknowledged that they know what info the breach contains but they may not necessarily know if yours is in it. That's fine, simple answer is an email: "We have been able to establish that the data removed contains Full Name, Address, Phone Number, Email, Stay Details, Loyalty Program details including SPG Number and level in the program, and in cases where the hotel has a requirement to store Passport details these may have been included. At this stage, we are unable to say whether your details have been included. We recommend you keep an eye out for any signs our information has been removed and misused, and contact us using the details on the dedicated page setup at blahblahblah. Rest assured we are continuing to investigate as the highest priority, and we will notify you immediately if we can determine that your information was included in the breach with next steps".

Seriously, not hard. Tell people what happened, invite them to contact the dedicated team with any concerns, and advise that you'll be informed ASAP if they determine your details are definitely hacked.
We understand your concern. We began sending emails on Nov 30, 2018 to affected guests. Due to the volume, you may not receive yours immediately. You don’t have to wait for the email if you believe you may be affected. Please visit info.starwoodhotels.com for official information and some steps you can take in response.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, American Airlines Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
Let's not pretend that even "real credit monitoring" is in any way an adequate remedy for someone who has had their identity stolen.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by rny321
I realize when using gmail or a similar provider the process of creating and tracking multiple email addresses is more time consuming.
Actually, all gmail accounts have near infinite emails built in. If your gmail address was [email protected] then [email protected] would get to you without any config and indeed if you had a Marriott label I think it might auto-filter into it. In addition to being able to tack on +whatever you can also insert "."s wherever you like, just not more than 1 at a time. So [email protected] will also get delivered to the the [email protected] account.

Alas a fair few websites are poorly coded and can't cope with a + in the userpart (bit before the @) in email addresses even though it's totally valid. Worse are sites that can cope with it in some places (like sign up) but not others (like unsubscribing from their mailing list).
kennycrudup and rny321 like this.
Old Dec 3, 2018, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
While what was specifically included in the breach is still unknown, I can tell you when my sister and her family of four made their reservation for the Prague Sheraton six months or so ago the Website did ask for the names and SS#s passport #s for all four guests. It was part of the record and something the Website was set up to capture.
I 000000000 in whenever asked for a passport number unless it’s for a flight check-in or an attempt to seek government service. Never had it give me a problem at hotel check-in.
KRSW and btonkid12345 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.