Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 30, 2018, 5:05 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: MasterGeek
From Starwood Lurker team :
Please visit  info.starwoodhotels.com  for more information about this incident, available resources and steps you can take.

Marriott has announced a massive breach of data belonging to 500 million guests who stayed at hotel brands including W, Sheraton, and Westin.
Marriott announced on Friday that it had "taken measures to investigate and address a data security incident" that stemmed from its Starwood guest authorization database.
The company said it believes that around 500 million people's information was accessed, including an unspecified number who had their credit card details taken. It affects customers who made bookings on or before September 10, 2018.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/marriott-data-breach-500-million-guests-affected-2018-11?r=US&IR=T
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/marriott-announces-starwood-guest-reservation-database-security-incident-300758155.html

You can enroll in the "identity" monitoring service provided by Marriott due to this breach here, it cannot be called "credit monitoring" because it doesn't provide access to viewing credit bureau report data (as held by Equifax, TransUnion, Experian) nor notifications when credit report data changes :
https://answers.kroll.com/us/index.html
Print Wikipost

Starwood/Marriott Data Breach 500 Million Guests affected, Marriott fined £18.4m

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

to clarify, in 2014 multiple hotel chains discovered malware on point of sale systems (processing credit cards) that stole data

most are unaware of what china does (including but not limited to state level) especially with focus on russia

when did starwood first announce considering sale?

Originally Posted by jwlowry
they began the day after the breach was made public
hacking attempts have come from Chinese IP addresses
Old Dec 17, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
unexpected credit card activity from "Marriott" - is this connected to data breach?

Over the weekend, I noticed a declined negative charge from Marriott on my VISA card, the same one that I had used in my past Marriott bookings via their compromised database.

Called my bank today, and they said that it was an attempt to credit money back to my account (around $30) but since there was no corresponding charge for a similar/related amount, they declined the credit. I asked whether they were taking extra precautions because of the Marriott data theft and the answer was yes. I feel pretty confident that they will make sure my account isn't misused by the scammers.

Has anyone else noticed funny business from Marriott on their cards that were compromised through the data breach?

UPDATE: I called the number on the email that had officially notified me of the data breach to report this suspicious activity. The agent was very friendly, but could not help me because "systems were down". They took my contact information and promised someone would call just as soon as the systems were working again. It's been >24 hours now and no contact has been made!

Last edited by transportprof; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:22 pm
Old Dec 29, 2018, 3:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Originally Posted by transportprof
Over the weekend, I noticed a declined negative charge from Marriott on my VISA card, the same one that I had used in my past Marriott bookings via their compromised database.

Called my bank today, and they said that it was an attempt to credit money back to my account (around $30) but since there was no corresponding charge for a similar/related amount, they declined the credit. I asked whether they were taking extra precautions because of the Marriott data theft and the answer was yes. I feel pretty confident that they will make sure my account isn't misused by the scammers.

Has anyone else noticed funny business from Marriott on their cards that were compromised through the data breach?

UPDATE: I called the number on the email that had officially notified me of the data breach to report this suspicious activity. The agent was very friendly, but could not help me because "systems were down". They took my contact information and promised someone would call just as soon as the systems were working again. It's been >24 hours now and no contact has been made!

The data breach call centre exists just so that Marriott can claim it provides support related to the breach and to give any callers or claimers the rub-around, fob off and nake them shut up. The call centre is useless, unempowered and not really interested in helping you. They merely regurgitate what is written on the data breach portal faq.

Last edited by MasterGeek; Dec 29, 2018 at 3:54 am
Old Jan 7, 2019, 5:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
looks like everyone forgot and moved on, which is why companies don't do more to protect our personal information.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
looks like everyone forgot and moved on, which is why companies don't do more to protect our personal information.
Stolen: 5 million unencrypted passport numbers and 20.3 million encrypted ones, with it being unclear whether encryption keys were stolen as well. It's massive, and likely not the last time we hear of an event like this one.
Old Jan 7, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Originally Posted by daloosh
Stolen: 5 million unencrypted passport numbers and 20.3 million encrypted ones, with it being unclear whether encryption keys were stolen as well. It's massive, and likely not the last time we hear of an event like this one.

Well once people realized it was a state actor, they realized it implicates other issues.

But ... think about all the places a state actor can obtain passport numbers and how insecure they are. I think about the countries I've been in since the December and can't imagine they have sophisticated security. Just last week, a hotel was making three copies of my passport when I checked in. One was for the front desk, one was for the back office, and one gets turned into the government daily.

If people were concerned, governments would agree hotels have no obligation to keep passport info.
daloosh and enpremiere like this.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: CK or bust

What are you going to be doing for guests who are concerned that their passport number was subject to fraud?

We are putting in place a mechanism to enable our designated call center representatives to refer guests to the appropriate resources to enable a look up of passport numbers to see if they were included in this set of unencrypted passport numbers. We will update this website when we have that capability in place.

In addition, we have a claims process in place for guests whose passport numbers have been verified to be part of the unencrypted group through the look up process described above and who are concerned that their information was used fraudulently. To have a fraud claim considered for reimbursement, please mail a summary of what happened and what your request is along with documentation of any expenses to any of the addresses set forth below:

For guests from the U.S., Canada, Asia Pacific and Middle East & Africa:
Marriott International, Inc.
10400 Fernwood Road
Bethesda, MD 20817
ATTN: Department 51 911.01 – Claims

The call canter is unaware of this and doesn't know about that tool at all. The agent that I spoke to kept trying to send me to the privacy page on Marriott's main site .
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

looking up passport number = another way for it to be stolen if it hasnt been

or for new breaches to happen depending on how it is being stored

Originally Posted by daloosh
at least not ~300 million and will hopefully have at least some impact on security in future

hopefully europe also implements some new changes that all companies comply with

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well once people realized it was a state actor, they realized it implicates other issues.
is there some good recent coverage?
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
looking up passport number = another way for it to be stolen

is there some good recent coverage?
I believe the US and Austrialian governments have stated this is a state actor as well as Reuters, Bloomberg,NY Times, Washington Post, and several news organization. There are no patterns of criminal fraud and no reports on here that Amex or Chase are replacing credit cards, which they would obviously be doing if they were exposed to fraud since the banks are the ones who take a loss. Have you heard anything out of the European privacy officials after this first came out? Why do you think they turned silent?

https://www.npr.org/2018/12/12/67598...ch-reports-say

As for passport numbers ... think of the countries who collect your passport number ... if you've traveled through Hong Kong or China, a state actor has your passport number. Then think of countries outside of Europe, US. Canada, Japan, etc. Has the Peruvian government database of all the passport info they collect from hotels and immigration been compromised? To quote Pink Floyd, this is just another brick in the wall ....
Old Jan 21, 2019, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

right, hopefully there will be some changes with regards to recording it in first place, other than places that obviously will always record secretly

sounds like any stolen CCs were via other breaches

have there been any numbers given (for CCs etc) other than passports?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
To quote Pink Floyd, this is just another brick in the wall ....
OK, this is downright creepy. As I am reading this, I am in the Dept of Chemistry bar at the JW Emerald Bay and this song is playing in the bar. It's not Pink Floyd but a remake which I've never heard before, but wow!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, this is downright creepy. As I am reading this, I am in the Dept of Chemistry bar at the JW Emerald Bay and this song is playing in the bar. It's not Pink Floyd but a remake which I've never heard before, but wow!
unfortunately. .I'm not there
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:05 am

It never happened

OK, here's the deal. There never was a data breach. The file they "found" was created as part of the due diligence process when Marriott and others were evaluating Starwood for acquisition. Ask yourself what hacker capable of penetrating deep into a secure data center and gaining total access to the database would then extract a copy of the data, encrypt it and then leave it there? No hacker ever. Because there has been no evidence that any of this data has ever been found outside of Starwood/Marriott, they had to invent the story that it was the Chinese and state sponsored spying. Really? The file was stored on the most secure system available to Starwood primarily because Marriott had the habit of asking for the same data over and over. So instead of going through the extract process multiple times, the original file was resent. Since all of the former IT staff had either left or been released when the file was discovered, there was no one around to tell them why it was there and they simply assumed the worst.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Cool story, bro- but:
Originally Posted by NdaNo
Since all of the former IT staff had either left or been released when the file was discovered ...
... but that, IMO, is when your claim falls apart.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Count me quite interested in this poster, especially w/that particular handle.

Not sure what is falling apart about said story when I'm guessing a lot of Starwood employees were sadly made redundant by the Marriott Borg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.