Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

WSJ Middle Seat column today [MPG "Loyalty Program Turbulence"]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WSJ Middle Seat column today [MPG "Loyalty Program Turbulence"]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 4:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Undermined because why should Marriott change anything if people are lifetime committed no matter what Marriott does? It's just another moan that is easily ignored. To have an impact, the guy would have to say "Despite 3,000 nights I'm never coming back because it's gotten so bad..."
There are also people who found the account integration working just fine: my points, nights and stays and immediate + lifetime status posted without a hitch. You seem to be quick to dismiss those (unspoken) remarks and assume everybody has had a bad experience.
C17PSGR, Hipplewm and Beltway2A like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Anyone who thought this was going to go smooth and not take 6-9 months to work out is crazy......that said...

I will stay with Marriott for the same reason I stay with UA

For work, I need transportation and a bed and I am good (I know others need more, but for me, I don't)

When I take my family, they treat me awesome, suite nights, GPU's, star alliance flights etc. It all adds up just the same.

I can stay at Residence inn and vacation at St Regis on points, just like I can fly UA and then vacation on EVA or Lufthansa

Hilton and IHG just can't touch that
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There are also people who found the account integration working just fine: my points, nights and stays and immediate + lifetime status posted without a hitch. You seem to be quick to dismiss those (unspoken) remarks and assume everybody has had a bad experience.
Lucky you. Even if some (many?) avoided major issues with integration, it is an unavoidable fact that thousands if not millions of members still aren't having their stays post correctly. Others may not have noticed or cared about the complete shambles that is the lifetime status counter, especially if you met the criteria years ago.

I won't say that everybody has had a bad experience but I do dare to say that everybody WOULD have had a bad experience if they'd had reason to look into the details.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:43 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
I talked to Scott about the article and was quoted in it. In the almost two weeks since I have talked to him things with my account have gotten much better. Of course nothing from anybody at Marriott with as much as a sorry or thanks for sticking with us we're trying.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marco Polo Gold
I guess I"m the few lucky one that has everything transferred fine? I did had a problem with a recent multi-room booking, but that was taken care of with two phone calls. I must say my experiences so far has been great. The only noticeable difference is no more suite upgrades. In the past as SPG Plat I can count on hotels giving me suite upgrades 90% of the time. Ever since the merger that dropped to 0%. All the same reason (excuses?) - sorry all our suites are full, oh I see starting tomorrow there will be one suite open, we will move you to a suite tomorrow (some simply say all booked). This has happened in the last 20+ stays after the merger. So either I'm that unlucky or....
Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
FT protocols are that articles behind paywalls can be summarised (but not just copied) in a post, so that everyone can understand the context of the discussion.

Is anyone able to do this for us ?
Sure... A few select quotes:

Originally Posted by WSJ
Two years into the megamerger of Marriott and Starwood, the world's largest hotel company still has serious kinks to work out, leaving many frequent travelers furious and frustrated.

Travelers say stays at hotels haven't been recorded in their loyalty accounts. Crucial data about qualifying for elite levels disappeared. And customer service has been unhelpful. Check your account closely - you may be missing credits and not know it.
Originally Posted by WSJ
Marriott says the computer problems revolved around four main areas: accurately showing elite status, redeeming suite upgrade awards, getting points restored when award reservations were cancelled and missing credit for stays.

For some, Marriott's lack of communication has been the most frustrating thing. While hotels are often quick to throw extra points at loyal customers and offer apologies for leaky faucets or noisy remodeling work, Marriott hasn't always acknowledged problems or offered compensation for time and troubles, they say.
Originally Posted by WSJ
Marriott says it added staff to call centers and wait times have returned to pre-Aug. 18 levels. The company says it has also added staff to resolve the backlog of requests for stay credits. Members are asked to send receipts back to the company because not all hotels have converted to Marriott property-management systems, the company says.
karenkay and Oxon Flyer like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by scubadu
Haven't heard a peep from anyone in these forums...

Regards
Originally Posted by naumank
I saw the article this morning but have been checking this forum to see if there's any discussion. Just curious why people on this board are not interested. Some have been complaining about the lack of media coverage of Marriott's IT merge fiasco. Now it's in the Wall Street Journal.
Because not everyone has a subscription to the WSJ, so can't really discuss what one hasn't read. As someone else mentioned, if I'd known I would have bought a hard copy that day & read the article. I know Scott, he's a straight-shooter & he normally gets its right on things (including what's happening w/ MAR/SPG integration).

Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Thanks for the summary/quotes.

Cheers.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, MARRIOTT AMBASSADOR LIFETIME TITANIUM
I read the WSJ article. Great article. Marriott is a public company. If 5 to 10% of us go to another hotel chain due to awful customer service and lack of concern, the stock would go down and someone would be in trouble! I am so tired of having to e-mail receipts. Still have some 20 days from stay that have not posted. Marriott does not care. I stay in NYC frequently. Am looking for other alternatives starting in January. Unless things change, it is not worth the hassle. I dive in their stock valuation will have someone apologizing!
Old Nov 29, 2018, 9:47 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
Originally Posted by WSJ
Marriott says it added staff to call centers and wait times have returned to pre-Aug. 18 levels.
Thanks for these. Though Marriott saying that wait times have returned to pre-8/18 levels doesn't mean a whole lot given that there have been issues with extra long Platinum line wait times since early this summer...

I will say that I've also been pretty personally lucky in that my status, lifetime nights, and points all merged fine, and I've actually gotten more upgrades after 8/18 than I'd gotten this year before 8/18 (at legacy MR properties). I do recognize that for a lot of folks though the merging of accounts had errors and that service recovery hasn't been super great.
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ryw
Thanks for these. Though Marriott saying that wait times have returned to pre-8/18 levels doesn't mean a whole lot given that there have been issues with extra long Platinum line wait times since early this summer...
And wait time is only part of the story. What has Marriott done with the friendly agents who actually knew what they were doing?
Originally Posted by ryw
I've actually gotten more upgrades after 8/18 than I'd gotten this year before 8/18 (at legacy MR properties).
I've also been treated well (for the most part) on property. Primarily SPG properties these days.
margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 10:41 pm

Ah, this article got published. The author/paper send me a couple IM’s on this site asking to speak about my issues with the merger.
Guess he saw one of my posts in that mega thread on points not posting on time since the merger. Interesting our discussions on this board is basis for research.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 2:35 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Completely undermined by the fact that the Marriott regular they quoted said "I'm staying with Marriott regardless".

Which is essentially why Marriott don't care and most certainly won't be apologising.
That person did also say they had moved some stays this year to other chains,

The link from twitter worked for me, but maybe I just haven’t used up my free articles. Good to get some coverage, but it wasn’t really an in depth piece. It seemed to be mostly focused on IT issues and not so much some of the other inconsistencies that have been discussed on FT.

It did also call out how their Q3 revenue was down, as well as that they had strikes at some properties.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Guess this these issues are back of the paper now with the data breach ... that being said, all my stays in the past two weeks have posted within 24-48 hours. That's an improvement from the typical three day posting so something is in the works.
Newman likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I thought the article was good, it repeated many of the complaints here especially the lack of a decent response from Marriott and their cavalier attitude. They quoted a 160 a night Marriott platinum who said he moved to the competition. Also mentioned the rather poor 3Q results.

All that said, there was nothing new or earth shattering in it. Just a summary of the ongoing debacle, and, obviously, written before the news that came out today. The icing on the poo cake.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Pretzelsandpeanuts
I thought the article was good, it repeated many of the complaints here especially the lack of a decent response from Marriott and their cavalier attitude. They quoted a 160 a night Marriott platinum who said he moved to the competition. Also mentioned the rather poor 3Q results.

All that said, there was nothing new or earth shattering in it. Just a summary of the ongoing debacle, and, obviously, written before the news that came out today. The icing on the poo cake.
Not everybody is on these forums so the article is an eye opener to a lot of people. I have been contacted two more times since the article came out wanting me to talk for articles/reports.
itsaboutthejourney likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.