Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy? (Potential new program leak)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I guess this should be retitled as the Marriott Marquis BKK thread!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 3:58 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I don't think Marriott "forces" hotels to not exceed the standard, but they definitely do make recommendations like that.

Check out the following post (a while back, but from Marriott's official representative): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11062254-post41.html The post was almost 10 years ago, but I think Marriott still manages this same way. They don't "force", but they will encourage and recommend. And of course, Hotel management takes it and tells regular staff this is what Marriott Corp is telling us to do (i.e. forcing us.)

Wow. This says more about the different cultures at MR vs SPG than maybe anything I’ve seen before.

Per the Marriott Concierge:
hotels were also encouraged to not “over achieve'”,

WTH?

Last edited by damon88; Nov 29, 2018 at 5:36 pm
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I can't believe they would go ahead with "Bonvoy". Any focus group or survey would have voted down this name!
I was thinking the same thing but according to another post in this thread a Focus Group was given 3 names to choose from one of which was Bonvoy. I think one of other choices was BonBon but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone could post the other 2 potential names??
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Well, if a manager said so, then it must be true. Not.

I’m sorry, but I do consider the source when I consider the veracity of any assessment such as this. Your manager may very well believe that, but that doesnt constitute any sort of proof whatsoever. It’s convenient to blame Marriott for not exceeding a brand standard. It’s convenient to blame the merger for any issue with any legacy SPG hotel. It’s convenient, but that doesn’t make it true.
Just because I was told this and subsequently relayed the message doesn't mean I trust the veracity of said statement, but attacking the messenger is your MO.

Originally Posted by tomwhom
Did you ask her: So if this is the case, how about breakfast at Goji kitchen to make up the lunch devaluation?
No, I finished my drink and exited the GM's cocktail reception. What a sorry state of affairs that was.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

I've been to this property ... it's doesn't remotely limit itself to brand standards! I don't remember lunch being available. A full large breakfast ... yes. Tea ... yes. Full dinner .... yes .... free drinks .... yes.
Then you clearly hadn't been in the lounge this entire calendar year at the minimum.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
Then you clearly hadn't been in the lounge this entire calendar year at the minimum.
The next time you are in the lounge metioned here could check to see if they renamed it the "Bonvoy Lounge" Thank you in advance.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 8:59 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Just because I was told this and subsequently relayed the message doesn't mean I trust the veracity of said statement, but attacking the messenger is your MO.
I’m confused. I merely questioned the veracity and perspective of your manager source and indicated I didn’t trust that manager’s assessment. There is and was no attack.

Of course, if you don’t trust the veracity of said statement, it does beg the question of why you’d share it.

Last edited by bhrubin; Nov 29, 2018 at 9:08 pm
Old Dec 3, 2018, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I was thinking the same thing but according to another post in this thread a Focus Group was given 3 names to choose from one of which was Bonvoy. I think one of other choices was BonBon but I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone could post the other 2 potential names??
Bonbon is a brand name of a Danish candy - the candy company also has a theme park called Bonbon land where you can see how some of their candies are made and of course themed rides too.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
But I reiterate, much as you may disapprove, that you are not entitled to any and all suites as per the Platinum suite benefit, Period. You’re entitled to the suite category or categories that is allotted by a hotel as part of its select suite pool—that’s all.
That's not what the terms say.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Marriott and its terms do not in any way preclude any hotel or brand from exceeding brand standards. That’s just pure nonsense, I’m afraid. Anyone reporting that is woefully wrong.
Except there are multiple reports from multiple elites of multiple properties that previously exceeded brand standards reducing what they provide to the absolute minimum with each of these properties saying Marriott is forcing properties not to exceed brand standards.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hhoope01
And of course, Hotel management takes it and tells regular staff this is what Marriott Corp is telling us to do (i.e. forcing us.)
This is especially the case when Marriott manages the property.

Imagine if McDonald's allowed some of the franchisees who own and operate the vast majority of restaurants to give you an extra order of French fries just because they wanted to do so. It's kind of the same thing, I think.

What concerns me is the international properties, which have almost always been better than North America properties, will be forced to reduce their over-and-above offerings to match their North American counterparts. I hope this isn't the case, but since Marriott manages more international properties than it manages North American properties it would be easier to make drastic cutbacks in, for example, lounge offerings.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
Except there are multiple reports from multiple elites of multiple properties that previously exceeded brand standards reducing what they provide to the absolute minimum with each of these properties saying Marriott is forcing properties not to exceed brand standards.
+1
I've experienced this at JW Marriott Dongdaemun 3 or 4 years ago when they stopped giving Plats buffet breakfast after opening a few months. Lounge breakfast or 49,000 won per person extra for Taviolo 24 buffet.
Old Dec 5, 2018, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Aventine
+1
I've experienced this at JW Marriott Dongdaemun 3 or 4 years ago when they stopped giving Plats buffet breakfast after opening a few months. Lounge breakfast or 49,000 won per person extra for Taviolo 24 buffet.
What do they charge the public for breakfast there? I'm wondering whether the surcharge for those with lounge access is any different.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 5:38 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Marriott isn’t really a hospitality company any more, it’s a hotel brander. With 30 different brands now tightly maintaining brand standards is very important especially following the merger where the difference between say a Marriott and a Sheraton, or a Renaissance and a Westin can be little more than the guests personal perception. Tightly maintained brand standards are vital to control a difference between these brands that really are tripping over one another.

What I think Marriott fails to recognise is whilst in North America the flagship full service brands, Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance and Westin hotels have been built to a pretty vanilla 3.5*, outside the US they’re frequently 5*, and hence brand uniformity will either result in cuts internationally or improvements stateside. I guess Marriotts following the cutting route - shock, horror!
amanuensis and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:35 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by BrightlyBob
What I think Marriott fails to recognise is whilst in North America the flagship full service brands, Marriott, Sheraton, Renaissance and Westin hotels have been built to a pretty vanilla 3.5*, outside the US they’re frequently 5*, and hence brand uniformity will either result in cuts internationally or improvements stateside. I guess Marriotts following the cutting route - shock, horror!
I think you are failing to realize that while newer hotels built in Asia and elsewhere outside N America can often be nicer, they rarely are 5* as you’re pretending here. Yes, newer properties are nicer, and Asia, in particular, has a host of newer full service Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, and even Marriott hotels compared with the older builds in N. America—because there simply is more new construction in less expensive Asia. But those are rarely 5* as you’re claiming. Hyperbole doesn’t strengthen your argument, I’m afraid.

N American full service hotels get renovated and refurbished eventually. It’s more expensive to do that here and in Europe than it is in Asia, of course.

Most of these hotels are 3.5 or 4 star hotels. There is a small number of 4.5 almost 5 star hotels. There are very few proper 5 star hotels among those brands.

This also has nothing to do with the name of the new loyalty program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.