Wiki Posts
Search

Should I take this CC offer [UAE]?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2018, 1:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Marriott PP Elite
Should I take this CC offer [UAE]?

Emirates NBD Bank is offering an SPG branded CC, but with stiff fees. I think I can make it work but I'm looking for some advice.....

I'm already Marriott PP Elite as I basically live in a Marriott hotel in the UAE - I have 146 nights since I signed up to Marriott Rewards on Feb 8th 2018, with Marriott spend of $11k since that time.

The card is offering 100,000 MR points on sign up (plus Gold which obviously, I don't need), plus another 100,000 upon spend of $10k in the first 3 months - which, given that I put basically everything on it, I would do without breaking too much of a sweat........

The joining fee though is $410 with another $410 as an annual card fee.

What has really piqued my interest though is that all Marriott spend on the card gives me a further 6 points for every $1 of spend. Given that I spend about $1500 per month on Marriott hotels, that's 7,000 more points per month than I'm currently getting (though actually, thinking about it, that's not really much to shout about). I'd get 3 points for any other type of spend, which, given I put about $5k on my CC monthly would give another 10,000 points.

Should I do it ?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Atlanticist
Emirates NBD Bank is offering an SPG branded CC,

blah blah.......

Should I do it ?
Anyone ?
Old Nov 17, 2018, 3:54 pm
Community Director Emerita

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I think if you run the numbers, it will help you make up your mind.

Cost for first year: $410 + $410 = $820

Points during first year:

100,000 - sign up bonus
100,000 - after $10K spend (easy for you)
6 points extra per dollar spent at Marriott properties. You estimate this at 7,000 points/month or 84,000 points for the year

That gives you 284,000 points for the first year. I'd value those points at $.007/point (gut feel on my part so others can argue up or down. No matter, it's in the range.) That gives you a value of $1988 for the first year. So spend $820 cash out of pocket; get points worth roughly $1988 when you redeem them. I'm not including your other spend because you can likely get comparable value on another card and I wouldn't want all my points to be with Marriott. You know you, so can add this to your analysis if you choose.

I wouldn't do it after the first year because you can't get $410 per year of ongoing value.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much for both the welcome and the advice.

So, I should definitely go for it, but to maximise value, make sure I reach the $10k spend for the second 100k MR to kick in, after that, only put Marriott spend on it, and cancel it before the second years annual fee kicks in ?
Old Nov 18, 2018, 3:47 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
I have the same card and got it under a similar promotion (70k SPG points ).
at renewal it gives you a free night certificate (up to 35 k). I’ve just received mine. I would value that alone at around 240 usd.
If you have no status with airline it is handy as it gives access to 850 lounges . So definetly not a bad card.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gringuito
I have the same card and got it under a similar promotion (70k SPG points ).
at renewal it gives you a free night certificate (up to 35 k). I’ve just received mine. I would value that alone at around 240 usd.
If you have no status with airline it is handy as it gives access to 850 lounges . So definetly not a bad card.
Thanks for this ……. I've just applied online. Just in time for the expensive Christmas period which is sure to see me over $10k of spend within the first 3 months.
Old Nov 18, 2018, 10:51 am
In memoriam

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Spire, UA Silver, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
That is quite the pricey card and whilst it’s easy to see the value in the first year, after that depends on what other benefits it confers. At $410 I’d expect and do understand there’s an annual certificate and by the looks of it wide ranging airport lounge access. Depending upon the amount of air travel you undertake and whether or not your Gold Emirates membership confers wide-ranging Airport lounge access probably determines the continuing value. I certainly wouldnt pay $410pa to earn 6 points per $, though here in the UK I do pay £75pa for a card that provides 3 points per £ on day to day spending and 6 points at Marriotts. As I spend around £1,000 per month on the card I basically deduct 1 point per £ spent to “repay” the fee, so count my actual earnings at 2 per £ on day-to-day spending and 5 per £ at Marriotts. I consider my card good value at that price, with no other benefits.
Old Dec 15, 2018, 1:03 am

The first year you'll only pay the joining fee.
Annual fee is applicable from second year onwards.

You will not pay both fees from the first year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.